Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 07:18 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,832,292 times

Advertisements

They just want to fill the job, and hope you will overlook the things they forgot to mention. I was taken on a tour of a shop at noon, that was the only time the employer would show me the place. They said the workers were on lunch and some were on vacation.
After taking the job I found out there were only two of us employed int eh back of the shop, that and much more was why I quit after two weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 07:29 PM

821 posts, read 1,100,563 times
Here's why they don't tell you the truth. MANY places of work these days are utterly dysfunctional. Do you think they're going to tell candidates the following:
1) "We have rotated through five people in the last year for your position".
2) "We have some workers with personality disorders".
3) "We have an impossible workload for you."
4) "We commit a lot of fraudulent activity here. You know, stuff like false billing, Medicaid fraud, falsification of records."
5) "Our owner is a psychopath. He will fire you at the drop of a hat or if he feels the slightest pinch financially."
6) "Our administrator frequently verbally abuses staff, even says stuff like, 'What, are you a f------ retard?!', and, 'What, are you f------ stupid?!' She even once said behind an employee's back in a meeting with a dozen people, "Remember that nurse Jane Doe? Well for those that don't remember or know who she is, she is a piece of s---!"
7) Visitors and vendors we deal with behave like disrespectful animals!"
8) "Not only is our owner nuts, but he is also pathologically cheap despite his millions, even going so far as paying vendors late or shortchanging supplies around here."
9) "This place is sinfully understaffed, even though it's a so called 'skilled nursing facility' and 'rehab center'".

Keep in mind this was all true of a place I had to leave. Too bad they weren't honest in the interview.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:31 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
They just want to fill the job, and hope you will overlook the things they forgot to mention. I was taken on a tour of a shop at noon, that was the only time the employer would show me the place. They said the workers were on lunch and some were on vacation.
After taking the job I found out there were only two of us employed int eh back of the shop, that and much more was why I quit after two weeks.
I did dodge a bullet in Sept. Company wanted to hire me, I got good feedback on CD, did my own DD, and said no thanks.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:12 PM

255 posts, read 402,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
Here's why they don't tell you the truth. MANY places of work these days are utterly dysfunctional. Do you think they're going to tell candidates the following:
4) "We commit a lot of fraudulent activity here. You know, stuff like false billing, Medicaid fraud, falsification of records."
5) "Our owner is a psychopath. He will fire you at the drop of a hat or if he feels the slightest pinch financially."
6) "Our administrator frequently verbally abuses staff, even says stuff like, 'What, are you a f------ retard?!', and, 'What, are you f------ stupid?!' She even once said behind an employee's back in a meeting with a dozen people, "Remember that nurse Jane Doe? Well for those that don't remember or know who she is, she is a piece of s---!"
8) "Not only is our owner nuts, but he is also pathologically cheap despite his millions, even going so far as paying vendors late or shortchanging supplies around here."
9) "This place is sinfully understaffed, even though it's a so called 'skilled nursing facility' and 'rehab center'".

Keep in mind this was all true of a place I had to leave. Too bad they weren't honest in the interview.
It's truly shocking, isn't it? I've worked at companies that shouldn't have been in business. They only survived as a small business by lying to and exploiting their work force. The owner was never there. What was he doing? Who knows...he never worked. He had some capital. He started a business and then he probably realized he could only make money by exploiting a desperate work force.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:20 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post

Sounds horrible and depressingly familiar.

The only differences between that place you describe and my most recent place of employment is that the "owner" was basically retired in place, leaving the COO in charge- and he was insane - and I don't think the place knowingly committed any fraud... as far as I know, anyway. And it was a machine shop, not a skilled nursing facility, but - hey - when they are nearly bankrupt, it really doesn't matter!

Old 02-17-2014, 08:51 PM

821 posts, read 1,100,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby9 View Post
It's truly shocking, isn't it? I've worked at companies that shouldn't have been in business. They only survived as a small business by lying to and exploiting their work force. The owner was never there. What was he doing? Who knows...he never worked. He had some capital. He started a business and then he probably realized he could only make money by exploiting a desperate work force.
The owner of that place I speak of is worth tens of millions and owns several nursing homes.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:20 PM

34 posts, read 63,576 times
Is there a reason why we don't call these companies OUT? I know I have mine. But there should be a "blacklist" thread for companies like this...

Old 02-17-2014, 11:30 PM

34 posts, read 63,576 times
In general, what I've found with the two smaller businesses that I've worked with: in business under 10 years- they tend to fly a bit more by the seat of their pants and be a little more scrappy. Pros and cons with this.

Pros- def potential to write your own ticket and grow with the company. There are plenty of small companies with great people, as you know. Finding them is the trick, I guess.

Cons-and here's where the nut-jobs sneak in through the cracks, people overburdened with several functions, no HR departments, flagrant labor law violations, ie: improper use of contractors and freelancers (i'm in the graphics industry)

Old 02-17-2014, 11:31 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypoGlyco View Post
Is there a reason why we don't call these companies OUT? I know I have mine. But there should be a "blacklist" thread for companies like this...
Agreed, Glass Door is the next closest thing, which is tough because you have to factor in bitter people that aren't objective.

It's funny I am new, big fan of the show The Profit. People, process, product is his formula. I thought about how that applied to my situation. Objectively my SM is a great salesperson, horrible manager, abusive, etc. The company has no processes, almost none, so they continue to fail. The product is good. 1 out of 3 ain't gonna cut it.

Oh well I will just plug away and do the best I can while looking for a better fit.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:26 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Unfortunately, not uncommon these days. While employees will "stretch the truth" and be "creative" about an employer's concerns about their candidates, they do the same thing to attract employees.

In my most recent position, I talked with my coworkers. They were all told it would last 1 year. For one person, he was told 3 years. There were scope and issues about getting paid. And they were recruiting employees from out of state too (they had to since folks with security clearances were harder to come by locally).

In a previous project, I severely underestimated how a 22yo old twerp of an employee would be, and in some ways, I ended up getting myself laid off. Of course, his dad is a partner at the parent company of where I worked, so complaining to management wasn't going to change anything. He accuses others of doing non-work stuff and being unprofessional when he did the same thing all the time. My coworkers told me there's a reason no one sits next to him.

In various other cases, one of them, they tell you stuff like "Denver's a great place", "South Carolina's a great place to live", etc. but unfortunately, you always have to do your own, unbiased research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search