Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2014, 03:49 PM

33 posts, read 105,897 times

Advertisements

I applied to my top choice firms and never got an interview. I thought that I had a well-fitting profile and it's disappointing to realize that I've already been rejected.

The companies however posted for the same opening on my school's website. Does this happen to anyone else? In 100% of the cases when this happens, I never got a call for an interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 05:17 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,774,415 times
Try redoing your resume. Freshen it up, make sure you have key words from the job description.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:17 AM

310 posts, read 686,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobsearcher123 View Post
I applied to my top choice firms and never got an interview. I thought that I had a well-fitting profile and it's disappointing to realize that I've already been rejected.
Do you think it would be fair to say that the firms didn't think that you had a well-fitting profile?
Perhaps it's not even your application but questionable online content that can be associated with your real name? Do you have rage-filled tweets? Does your Facebook page show you in a light that your booze buddies appreciate but a top firm would not?

In either case, there's something about how you either presented yourself to them, or how you present yourself to the world online that made them run your app through the shredder. What is it?

Old 09-26-2014, 01:16 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,786,852 times
Have you considered you are applying for jobs you would like to have and feel you would be good at, but your degree, and/or experience does not match the desires of the companies you are applying for. Applications that do not match what the company wants, are usually kicked out and rejected by a computer today.

As mentioned above, your resume and application, may be one you send everyone, and is not tailored for a particular job with a specific company. The one size fits all resume, is rejected about 90% of the time and then only reviewed by a human because it matches what the company is looking for.

If you are not getting interviews, it usually comes down to 2 problems.

1: Your resume shows you are not what the company is looking for, due to education, experience or both. A one size fits all resume, will be passed over by the prospective employer nearly every time even if you are well qualified for the job.

2: You are applying for jobs, where you do not meet the requirements for the job either in experience, or education or both.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:55 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,770,018 times
Or there could be a lot of competition. Someone else may look better on paper than what your resume implies. Just keep plugging away and you'll eventually land something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search