Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 10:05 PM

136 posts, read 176,445 times

Advertisements

Why is that people with jobs are the only ones getting pursued by recruiters at good companies? Why don't recruiters go after people who are actually looking for jobs? No wonder that we have a permanent class of unemployed people, and an employed class that is job hopping like crazy. My friend has a great job and he has to ward off recruiters who are trying to lure him into higher-paying ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 10:10 PM

23,514 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Because an employer is currently validating their work experience. "It's easier to get a job when you have one".

Old 02-13-2014, 10:40 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Because an employer is currently validating their work experience. "It's easier to get a job when you have one".
I'm in the same boat as your friend. Now I am looking to relocate so I welcome some recruiter activity based on region, but it does take up a lot of time.

But of course corps want folks with the skills they desire, who are actually demonstrating that currently.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:51 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Perception is often that better employees have jobs.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:18 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathGreetsMeWarm View Post
Why is that people with jobs are the only ones getting pursued by recruiters at good companies? Why don't recruiters go after people who are actually looking for jobs? No wonder that we have a permanent class of unemployed people, and an employed class that is job hopping like crazy. My friend has a great job and he has to ward off recruiters who are trying to lure him into higher-paying ones.
Uh, being passive isn't helping get u a job.. recruiters will proactively reach out to those they deem most desirable.. if they don't come to you, it doesn't hurt if you come to them, right?

Old 02-14-2014, 06:43 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,549,309 times
They get paid by commision.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:44 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Recruiters aren't some kind of charity. They have a business to run. They will go after the candidates they think have the best chance at being placed.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:18 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
It's the same reason people find other people who are in relationships more attractive than those who are not in a relationship - the false assumption that there must be "something wrong" with the person who's out of work / not in a relationship / etc.

While it isn't really right from the viewpoint of morality or doing what's best for the nation, I can understand this notion to a limited degree - maybe there's some scientific proof that it is a hair easier to place currently employed people vs. the unemployed, although if that's true, it's almost surely because of "no unemployed need apply" rules vs. any actual problem caused by hiring the unemployed. So, long story short - the "problem" with trying to hire the unemployed is almost entirely self-created by the job market.

What makes no sense, however, is how many of these recruiters call with nothing but joke jobs and then wonder why nobody is going to quit their current job for them. Why would somebody leave a standard, paying job for something like "a 6 month contract position in the middle of nowhere, and we're not going to tell you the company for which you'll be working until deep in the interview process." Most unemployed people would barely be interested in that type of nonsense, and anybody who has a job would just laugh at them and hang up.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:12 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
In this scenario, YOUR FRIEND has more experience than YOU do.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:24 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
I've had company recruiters contact me on Linked-in asking me to apply for positions that when I applied for them 2 years ago on their website they wouldn't give me the time of day (I was employed then to btw). Now I have no interest in them anymore. I have a good job and would rather gargle concentrated acid than deal with HR and their hiring processes again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search