Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 02:21 PM

14 posts, read 26,337 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a student from Europe. A few days ago I became Work and Travel USA participant and I will be coming to the USA this summer to work on a J-1 visa. I would greatly appreciate receiving any additional information regarding employment opportunities for summer job in USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 06:55 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,144,492 times
Summer Jobs and Seasonal Jobs in Great Places | CoolWorks.com

Old 02-09-2012, 07:05 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times
Why do they keep giving these visas out when there are so many AMERICANS who need jobs?

Old 02-10-2012, 01:12 AM

14 posts, read 26,337 times
But does anyone wants to work such works as international students? I doubt that. Actually I could make double or more money in same time in some Europe countries than in USA, but I want to see USA while I am a student. Just traveling to USA request some expenses so I need a summer job. It would be an enriching personal experience as well.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:40 AM

And what does that have to do with saving AMERICAN jobs?

Old 02-10-2012, 07:16 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Why do they keep giving these visas out when there are so many AMERICANS who need jobs?
Many seasonal jobs are difficult to fill with Americans. Think resorts. Most Americans won't relocate temporarily for a job that doesn't pay well. The ones who are willing are less likely to pass the pre-employment drug tests. But foreign workers will come in droves to these temporary jobs. It's a split between impoverished foreigners who are sending all of their earnings back home and young adults from upper middle class to affluent foreign families who do it to see the world. One of my children works in a similar industry and the staffing challenges are fascinating. You'd think Americans would do these jobs but most won't. We could switch to Canada's way of doing unemployment---force people to move to other areas of the country for jobs. They literally assign jobs in Canada. The reality is we can't force people to take jobs in the US.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Many seasonal jobs are difficult to fill with Americans. Think resorts. Most Americans won't relocate temporarily for a job that doesn't pay well. The ones who are willing are less likely to pass the pre-employment drug tests. But foreign workers will come in droves to these temporary jobs. It's a split between impoverished foreigners who are sending all of their earnings back home and young adults from upper middle class to affluent foreign families who do it to see the world. One of my children works in a similar industry and the staffing challenges are fascinating. You'd think Americans would do these jobs but most won't. We could switch to Canada's way of doing unemployment---force people to move to other areas of the country for jobs. They literally assign jobs in Canada. The reality is we can't force people to take jobs in the US.
There are plenty of American college kids who would gladly take those jobs who won't find work this summer. I know of a few who despite best efforts were unable to find work last summer who would gladly have lived in "dorm" style housing in a resort area to have work--even if it was cleaning hotel rooms or working the ice cream stand.

And I think the Canadian model should be applied here. If there is a job that you are suited for and you refuse to take it, cut off benefits. We do that with Workfare, why not U/E. I'm not suggesting that scientists be forced to take jobs cleaning toilets, but if there's a suitable job in that field, they should relocate for it.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:29 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:
Quote:
And what does that have to do with saving AMERICAN jobs?
Maybe you should save the negativity and posturing for the debate forum until you know what this sort of program entails and how it works. And while you're at it, you might petition that the American students who leave for overseas to participate in similar programs all over the world be prohibited from doing so for the same reasons.

http://www.ciee.org/

Work USA, good luck and I hope you find something and that your brief stay in the USA will be both educational and enjoyable!

Last edited by STT Resident; 02-10-2012 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 02-10-2012, 07:45 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,057,999 times
You should look at the website http://www.workaway.info/

There are places you can work in exchange for free room and board, but most don't pay a wage.

Last edited by DrEarth; 02-10-2012 at 09:15 AM..

Old 02-10-2012, 07:50 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
There are plenty of American college kids who would gladly take those jobs who won't find work this summer. I know of a few who despite best efforts were unable to find work last summer who would gladly have lived in "dorm" style housing in a resort area to have work--even if it was cleaning hotel rooms or working the ice cream stand.
Not enough American college kids are willing though. And many who are willing can't pass the drug tests. If the ones you know would have gladly lived in "dorm" style housing at a resort, why didn't they do it? The jobs are out there! Americans can have them! All they need to do is apply. But just make sure they know that "dorm" style housing sometimes isn't fit for humans. It's not like college dorms. They have to be willing to live in terrible conditions. Not all are terrible but some employee housing is disgusting.

The resorts do hire Americans. They hire the immigrants to ensure coverage for shortages, employees who can't pass drug tests, who who simply don't show up. It's weird but the immigrants are more likely to show up on their start date than the American employees.

Trust me, the resorts want Americans. Tell those kids to apply. The time to apply for this summer is NOW. If they wait until they can't find a summer job when they get home, it's often too late to get a job at a resort.

And remember, summer isn't the only resort work available. College students can't work the winter season. Often college students can't start soon enough for the summer season or they have to leave too early. But there are still resort jobs for them. They just have to bother researching and applying for them.

Quote:
And I think the Canadian model should be applied here. If there is a job that you are suited for and you refuse to take it, cut off benefits. We do that with Workfare, why not U/E. I'm not suggesting that scientists be forced to take jobs cleaning toilets, but if there's a suitable job in that field, they should relocate for it.
Unemployment does that. You can't turn down suitable work when on unemployment. But what Canada does is literally relocate people to the other side of the country and that's never going to happen in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search