Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2014, 08:48 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,480,512 times

Advertisements

Do employers call references or do they contact H.R departments to verify employment? I do not recall any of my employers contacting my references but they did extensive background checks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 08:56 AM

13 posts, read 24,641 times
In my current situation, HR (although ready to throw out an offer) first contacted 2 of my references in managerial-type roles. Once that was done, the offer came the same day. Doing this verifies employment, character, and may unearth additional details at the same time. One of my own references (manager) were called, and another manager (different company, a reference which I did *not* provide) were called.

Once the offer was given, it was contingent on passing a full blown background check. This includes DMV, criminal, education, employment, etc and is done by a third party company. Takes 1-2 weeks.

For my last job, however, I required a special state license which required a much more thorough investigation done by state troopers/investigators. It included interviews, divulging detailed personal and financial data, and I even had to bring in all of my degrees from high school to graduate school. Yikes. Took upwards of 6 months.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:25 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
It depends on the employer, so yes, no, sometimes and it depends are pretty accurate answers.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:25 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,135 times
A few points:

1) HR ONLY verifies employment - no references are given these days. In the cases of nearly all mid-sized and larger companies (at least here in America - I can't speak for other nations) HR will only verify the dates of employment. They aren't allowed to provide references since there's too much potential for legal situations to arise, such as a lawsuit because the company HR person didn't give a good recommendation, etc. Note that this is generally true of former managers, too. They are only allowed to give dates of employment and will often just refer callers to HR. If a manager is a reference, they may speak off the record about your performance, but it's really best to get some references who are not managers if possible because of the conflict of interest that could arise.

2) References are contacted for other reasons: References are usually contacted about quality of work and so forth, though they can often confirm at least general employment questions - they may not know how long you worked at a company, but they can at least provide general info - "Yeah, Bob was in the Product Development group for at least 5 years. He did a good job."

Good luck.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:02 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,480,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
A few points:

1) HR ONLY verifies employment - no references are given these days. In the cases of nearly all mid-sized and larger companies (at least here in America - I can't speak for other nations) HR will only verify the dates of employment. They aren't allowed to provide references since there's too much potential for legal situations to arise, such as a lawsuit because the company HR person didn't give a good recommendation, etc. Note that this is generally true of former managers, too. They are only allowed to give dates of employment and will often just refer callers to HR. If a manager is a reference, they may speak off the record about your performance, but it's really best to get some references who are not managers if possible because of the conflict of interest that could arise.

2) References are contacted for other reasons: References are usually contacted about quality of work and so forth, though they can often confirm at least general employment questions - they may not know how long you worked at a company, but they can at least provide general info - "Yeah, Bob was in the Product Development group for at least 5 years. He did a good job."

Good luck.
That is what I thought. I have filled some applications that request references but it seems they just verify dates. I read an article on monster.com about employers not giving recommendations because of fear of a law suit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search