Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 06:03 AM

11 posts, read 18,198 times

Advertisements

I know a friend who recently graduated from a mid rank university and already bagged a high paying consultancy job despite his lack of work experience and little preparation. Apparently he managed to wow the interviewers so much that they were literally begging him to accept!

Compared to whenever I give interviews, I prepare my ass off for several hours and days, but still hardly get any responses or even an indication that they "like me" from the interviewer and it always just ends up as a standard one sided interview where I'm getting asked questions that they expect me to have prepared and they just tick some boxes..

So how do some people just naturally do amazingly well at interviews with little or no preparation at all that the company literally BEGS them to accept an offer? Are they literally born with this unique ability that just their presence automatically qualifies them to be hired?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 07:22 AM

12,116 posts, read 23,402,522 times
Some people are very charismatic or natural born BSers or both. The kind of vibe you give off is important. It is hard to beat the, "he's a great guy! We's love to have him on our team!" type of person, even if you are technically more proficient than him/her.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:26 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,829,390 times
I think a lot of it is attitude, based on valuing yourself and your skills. Too many people go into interviews with the mindset that the company will be doing them a favor by hiring them, when the opposite should be true. If you know you are the best person for the job because you are awesome, it comes across.

If you don't feel confident about what you can bring to the table, maybe you are at the wrong table.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:37 AM

694 posts, read 1,207,432 times
I take it, you are a recent college grad. Since I was in the same boat many years ago and feeling the way you do, I am going to offer some practical advice.
1. Yes, there are some people who are naturally confident, however, for the most of us, confidence and any other trait is a product of both nature and nurture, so analyze your nurture, the way you were brought up, the experiences you had so far, etc. Is your friend more outgoing, was involved in more outside activities, sports? That could be the key to him getting multiple offers, for example, let's say that he was on the staff of college's newspaper, and it just so happens that the interviewer also in his/her college days was at his/her college's newspaper, bingo, common point found.
2. You mentioned that your interviews have been one-sided-being prepared for the interview is not just rehearsing answers, it's also coming up with good questions. So, do research about the company first, and during the interview ask questions about the company and the job itself.
3. Since you are a recent college grad with probably no experience in the industry you are applying for, beyond the obvious quantitative metrics such as your GPA, the interviewer is mostly looking for the soft skills, especially if the job is in consulting where you have to interact with people-can he work with people, is he able to relate to a client, can he hold a personal conversation without getting too personal, is he fun outside of work, does he have any interests/hobbies that potentially could bring value to the company, in a nutshell-can we work with him?
4. I used to be scared and literally have panic attacks going to interviews, it felt like an interrogation. After years of experience, I see it very differently-it's a chance for me to talk about my accomplishments which I don't get to do too often, it's a chance for me to see how I measure up against the market, and I see myself as someone coming in and helping the company meet their goals. That's how you have to think of yourself-stop thinking that the companies are doing you a favor by hiring you and start thinking that you are two equal parties-they are paying your salary with perks and you are giving them your best every day.
5. When the interviewer likes you, you will feel that "click" immediately, I hate to use a cliché, but for me, it has been almost equivalent to the feeling when I met my husband and when I finally, after two years of hard search, found our house. My current job in which I have been for 10 years-after the interview, the recruiter calls me and without letting him speak, I said "Brian, they are in love with me" and he was like "Yes, they are in pieces"
6. Someday, you will look back at your post and have a huge smile on your face for how far you have come. Good luck!

Old 03-13-2014, 04:14 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,808,084 times
1)Know your stuff.
2) DON'T BE DESPERATE!
The best interview I ever gave was when I had already been hired at another location, and was packing to move. At the last minute a job in my town of residence came up and I was called into an interview. I was getting excited about moving and I really didn't CARE which job I got. I was so relaxed and confident I aced all the questions and at the end I got to say, "You know the XXX office has already made an offer to me." They called the next day to offer the job.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:42 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,146,108 times
What type of prep would I do for an interview? I mean, read the job description, know something about the company (which I would learn when I applied) and then show up and answer questions. What prep is there?

Old 03-13-2014, 04:57 PM

189 posts, read 327,715 times
People underestimate how important being "likeable" is.

You can train someone to do a task they are unfamiliar with, but you can't change someone's attitude or personality. I'd hire someone who'd be a good fit for the team but is less qualified over someone highly qualified but a real dud any day of the week.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:04 PM

6,489 posts, read 7,847,692 times
To do well on an interview, be confident but not cocky. Mostly though, make it a conversation, be happy to be there, connect with who you are talking to, express passion about something, show interest, and be yourself. All of that must be sincere, and no rehearsing is needed for sincerity.

Best of luck

Old 03-13-2014, 05:22 PM

12,335 posts, read 17,200,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
To do well on an interview, be confident but not cocky. Mostly though, make it a conversation, be happy to be there, connect with who you are talking to, express passion about something, show interest, and be yourself. All of that must be sincere, and no rehearsing is needed for sincerity.

Best of luck
I agree with this. Experienced interviewers have heard all of the canned answers already. You need to make them want to have you come through the door next time to stay. One manager I know personally who interviews people told me "They come in, sit down, and most of it is b.s with similar answers to my questions and a blank stare in between" It should be a two way conversation with interest shown by both candidate and prospect. And knowing what the company is about is important. Many just know they have an interview and that's it. Companies like to see you did your homework on them.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:26 PM

38,933 posts, read 24,014,963 times
They are expert salespeople whether it is BS or they can actually read people and know how to talk to their personality style within two words. Many cannot tell if the "Ohs" are the good ones or bad ones when talking to your interviewer. Often times this is the first time you are dealing with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search