Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 02:03 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
I guess it depends on whose eyes you are viewing this through.

As an employer I don't have time to interview 50 people who all say they have the required skillset to do the job. I do however, have time to interview 10-15 who say they have the required skillset and demonstrated it.

As a job candidate I can see how you would want to be able to discuss your skillset with the hiring manager first, but again, they do have jobs too.

I guess another thing it does is weed out the people that want a job, but don't want one bad enough that they will demonstrate their skillset first.
"bad enough" is relative. Let's remember if you have to travel three hours to and three hours from, that is a bit of an issue especially if it is a test BEFORE the interview. You may not make it past that so the juice is not really worth the squeeze of the test. Let's remember three hours to and back, that can be a good chunk of gasoline if not your entire gas tank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 02:11 PM

260 posts, read 605,558 times
Quote:
It's not going to be mysterious. Look at the job description. They are going to ask you to demonstrate skills necessary to do the job.
Understood, but I doubt the skills test couldn't be done in the form of a phone screen.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:19 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryManback View Post
I'm currently in communication with a company about a legitimate job. The issue is that they want me to come in and take a "skills test", and interview only if I pass the skills test. So it could be the case that the skills test is something bogus and I take a day off and drive 3.5 hrs only to turn around and drive another 3.5 hrs back.

Worth it or not?
My thought after reading this was, if it's a legitimate job, why would the skill test be bogus?

Quote:
Understood, but I doubt the skills test couldn't be done in the form of a phone screen.
I tested many times for county government jobs. Testing to scale down the number of applicants is normal for many jobs.

And for those tests, you have to drive to the location where the exam is given by a proctor.

It does seem odd that a company wouldn't have some type of online skills test available. But, if it was me, and the job looked like something I'd want to do, or was otherwise a good opportunity (like I want to move to such and such a town and here's a job possibility there), I'd do it.

Then, you're in town, if you get this job and it sucks, and it will be way easier to find another job in that town after you are already there.

Your job ends in June? That's not far away. I'd use a sick day and go take the test. Plus, it gives you a chance to see the company from a different perspective, which could help you decide if you'd want to work for them anyway. It's not an interview, so ask the people you meet there if they like working for the company while you're there.

Anyway, my vote is yes, you should do it.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:19 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,812 times
Quote:
Have you ever done a skills test before?

Doing one by phone would be the most horribly inefficient way to conduct a test you could possibly think of - then you'd be on here with a "They didn't understand what I was saying on a phone skills test" thread...

If you want the job, and you want to get out of BFE - you'll go to the test. If you don't, you won't.

They're not saying "you have to drive 7 hours to take our test". They're saying "you have to be here at the work location to take our test" - big difference.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:39 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,168,483 times
Quote:
I think you are misunderstanding the difference between a competency based interview and a skills test.

You haven't given any details about the job, so I'll just give a generic explanation.

Asking people to tell me about times they used excel for projects is way different than asking someone to examine a set of data, analyze it and give me an output, like say a pivot table, a vlookup, etc.

I don't care if you can say you can do it, I care about whether or not you can actually do it.

This won't be a conversation, it will be an actual test or case study.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:41 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Agree with the poster who said it is your issue not the employers. They don't care where you are or how far you have to travel. You applied for the position. They want you to come test. Either you foot the bill and go or realize it's too much and don't go.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:48 PM

260 posts, read 605,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I tested many times for county government jobs. Testing to scale down the number of applicants is normal for many jobs.
This one is, indeed, a government job.

Quote:
And for those tests, you have to drive to the location where the exam is given by a proctor.
Oh, so it'll be like 30 people taking a test and only a few getting an interview? Definitely not worth it, then.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Oh, so it'll be like 30 people taking a test and only a few getting an interview? Definitely not worth it, then.
Wow, sometimes I am amazed at what an impact personality can have when it comes to getting a job.

I apply for every job thinking I am the best candidate for the job. Ironically, I have only once not gotten an interview and have never had a problem finding a job.

And then we have others that won't go out of their way to try to get a job if there might be other candidates applying because it's not worth it.

Perception is Reality!

Good luck!

Old 04-08-2014, 03:05 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Wow, sometimes I am amazed at what an impact personality can have when it comes to getting a job.

I apply for every job thinking I am the best candidate for the job. Ironically, I have only once not gotten an interview and have never had a problem finding a job.

And then we have others that won't go out of their way to try to get a job if there might be other candidates applying because it's not worth it.

Perception is Reality!

Good luck!
But do you put in for a job that is in your hometown yet the test is there hours out and there is no reasonable accommodation that is closer? Often times that is not stated at all in the job description. Can you ask if there is a closer alternative due to the hardship of traveling seven hours in total for the test.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
But do you put in for a job that is in your hometown yet the test is there hours out and there is no reasonable accommodation that is closer? Often times that is not stated at all in the job description. Can you ask if there is a closer alternative due to the hardship of traveling seven hours in total for the test.
I've moved all over the US for jobs. It really just depends on how bad you want it. If I wasn't prepared to go to the location for the interview and everything else associated with getting the job I just would not have applied.

It appears OP is fine with running out his/her temp assignment and looking afterwards, but to me it sounds like he/she will not find a job where he/she currently lives, so this will be a similar issue in a few months.

But I think you bring up a good point, it doesn't hurt to ask if there is another option for someone that lives 3 hours away. Heck its either that or just turn it down altogether, to me its a no brainer. I'd ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search