Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2014, 10:05 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

If you were thinking about relocating what process would you use to do so? I think looking for employment in your prospective area is the most important thing, then finding a place to live (hopefully in short order) and away you go.

How difficult is it to find employment in another state? What is the best course of action to finding legitimate job opportunities in other states and getting interviews?

Any other tips for those looking to relocate are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 10:17 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
It depends if the company offers relocation or not and how long it would take you to relocate. However, most companies will look locally first, it's just the most business friendly approach. If they cannot find qualified personnel they will start to look externally. Also, I recommend not jumping into a lease right away. Find a short term lease or rent a room at an extended stay for the first 6 months or so, or whenever your probationary period is up. There's a lot of risk involved. You could be fired, they could lay you off, you might hate the job and end up wanting out, etc.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:50 AM

147 posts, read 316,231 times
Depends on what type of job you're trying to get and where you're relocating to. My wife and I are wanting to relocate to North Dakota, Minnesota, or one of the surrounding states (we're in Alabama now and can't wait to leave). I'm trying to line up a job first-she can most likely find a job quickly after we relocate. I'm of the mindset that it's better to line up the job first and then move but it's not always possible. Certain areas (like North Dakota, South Dakota, NW Minnesota) have really low unemployment so someone could most likely move there and find work quickly. If you move without a job, have a place to live lined up with a lot of savings available (especially if you don't want to be forced to take just any job).

Some companies will pay for relocation but that is typically only for higher level positions. I have a college degree and have never been offered a position that would pay relocation (keeping my fingers crossed that this time might be different). Be prepared to move on your own dime.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:38 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltDragon View Post
Depends on what type of job you're trying to get and where you're relocating to. My wife and I are wanting to relocate to North Dakota, Minnesota, or one of the surrounding states (we're in Alabama now and can't wait to leave). I'm trying to line up a job first-she can most likely find a job quickly after we relocate. I'm of the mindset that it's better to line up the job first and then move but it's not always possible. Certain areas (like North Dakota, South Dakota, NW Minnesota) have really low unemployment so someone could most likely move there and find work quickly. If you move without a job, have a place to live lined up with a lot of savings available (especially if you don't want to be forced to take just any job).

Some companies will pay for relocation but that is typically only for higher level positions. I have a college degree and have never been offered a position that would pay relocation (keeping my fingers crossed that this time might be different). Be prepared to move on your own dime.
Even if they offer relo it's usually not that much, 2-5k, so be prepared regardless to fork out some dough.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:06 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,808,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
If you were thinking about relocating what process would you use to do so? I think looking for employment in your prospective area is the most important thing, then finding a place to live (hopefully in short order) and away you go.
Once you get that job, stay in an extended-stay hotel. Do not sign a lease on an apartment.

Quote:
How difficult is it to find employment in another state? What is the best course of action to finding legitimate job opportunities in other states and getting interviews?
What is your field of work?

Old 06-16-2014, 06:26 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
I work in media and creative while my husband is in management at a distribution center. I think building up savings to live off of might be better in some ways because businesses like to hire locally. It just scares me that we could use up all our savings before securing a job in our new area.

Why is it bad to sign a lease? In case things don't work out?

Old 06-16-2014, 01:17 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,206,170 times
Quote:

Any other tips for those looking to relocate are appreciated.
If things go as I want them to, I will have relocated from one state to another twice in less than 3 years.

If you know the area you want to go, investigate as much as you can about cost of living, places to live, etc. Thank goodness most of that can be done in the other areas of City Data.

Then look in the local newspapers for job ads, check monster, indeed, any of the normal job websites as well as any specific company websites to see what they are looking for. And send in your resume. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

When we wanted to move to PA, I applied through several different resources for different jobs 'til one was offered. And then we quickly found a place to live.

Now we want to go to FL, and I'm applying like crazy. Hopefully I'll get some more interviews soon. Meanwhile, my husband has been reviewing as many housing options as possible in the area we want to go.

There is A LOT of info on the internet, all you have to do is look.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search