Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 01:54 AM

519 posts, read 1,049,409 times

Advertisements

Hi, I took one of these last month (and failed)

I guess I haven't seen the last of these types of tests, so I need to prepare in case I see another.

Couple of questions, I have no idea what questions I got 'right or wrong' but these were a few that really threw me.

Every question was true or false

1. I like to get my own way.
2. I like to show off.
3. People are annoying
4. Do you think your success depends upon your appearance.
5. Do you tell people about their faults if they really need to hear it?

Anyone know what answers they are looking for?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 06:12 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,422,206 times
I always anwser in terms of being an extreme extrovert who in sensitive optimistic trusting looking to challenge yourself etc.

These "test" are just sad displays of HR quackery.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:31 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,041,618 times
And also keep in mind that they are looking for a doormat. So for questions 1, 2, and 3, answer False.

Questions 4 and 5, I don't know. Question 4 I can see going either way. I can see the "Life isn't fair" crowd and the "The clothes make the man/woman" crowd wanting you to answer True. But a True response also implies that many people have careers based on looks rather than skills, which is definitely true, but not what the HR quacks want to hear.

Question 5, too, really depends on the kind of job and the personality of the interviewer. I'm thinking that if you are applying for a management role, answer True. And if you're applying for a rank and file position, they probably just want you to keep your mouth shut and do as your told, so answer False.

What is especially dumb about these tests is that basically anybody answering truthfully would answer True to Question 1, but False is clearly the answer that they are looking for.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:48 AM

49 posts, read 66,271 times
My employer uses Management by Strengths for better communication within our office, but the test is administered when you apply for the job and as far as I know has no bearing on your hiring because your department head doesn't receive the results until after you're employed. Could be complete hogwash, but I remember getting the results of my evaluation several weeks after I started.

Everyone here gets a card with their MBS chart on it so each employee understands how one another work and communicate. I initially thought the test wasn't accurate, but after several months I realized it's quite accurate.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:02 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
I've seen a test like that for a national grocery chain. I think it is graded as a green, yellow or red result. Reds don't get hired, yellows may be hired if the manager thinks you will be okay, and greens are okay. I think you need to try and figure out what they are looking for and answer in that manner.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:17 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
Are you positive all of those were the only responses to one of the questions?

What position were you applying for?

Old 07-09-2014, 08:42 AM

211 posts, read 266,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
Hi, I took one of these last month (and failed)

1. I like to get my own way.
2. I like to show off.
3. People are annoying
4. Do you think your success depends upon your appearance.
5. Do you tell people about their faults if they really need to hear it?

Anyone know what answers they are looking for?
1. I like to get my own way. False.

2. I like to show off. False.

3. People are annoying. False.

4. Do you think your success depends upon your appearance. Tough one, lean toward false

5. Do you tell people about their faults if they really need to hear it? True

These tests are worthless, just answer them as though you are an enthusiastic extrovert.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:22 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,422,206 times
That's another problem. A lot of the questions are very open to interpretation as to what they are really asking. Example Do you think your success depends upon your appearance?

A minority might interpret that to mean the color of your skin/ethnicity. Others would interpret that to mean is it ok to dress like a bum.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:56 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,932,822 times
I've seen these annoying tests pop up more and more often, especially when applying for a job online. I've been trying to help a young woman who is working toward her GED find a part time job to help support herself while she studies for the GED test. The other day she showed me a 150 question, true/false personality test that a major grocery chain required she answer to apply for a part time job as a stocker. She was even more confused than OP. As I scanned the questions, I saw they were looking for honesty (as in not stealing from the till or walking off with merchandis under your coat) - can't fault them there - good customer servce to the point of laying down and letting the customer dance all over you with stilleto heels; a team player with absolutely no ego of their own, and someone who has no life except their work for XYZ Groceries. In other words, an honest worker who lies on tests in order to get hired. Go figure.

1. I like to get my own way. FALSE
2. I like to show off. FALSE
3. People are annoying FALSE
4. Do you think your success depends upon your appearance. TRUE - but this one is tricky. Are they looking for someone who will follow the company dress code or are they trying to weed out people who think all they need to do is show up and look good?
5. Do you tell people about their faults if they really need to hear it? TRUE
6. Are you still beating your wife? Only when she objects to me working overtime at XYZ.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:15 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,041,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
That's another problem. A lot of the questions are very open to interpretation as to what they are really asking. Example Do you think your success depends upon your appearance?

A minority might interpret that to mean the color of your skin/ethnicity. Others would interpret that to mean is it ok to dress like a bum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
4. Do you think your success depends upon your appearance. TRUE - but this one is tricky. Are they looking for someone who will follow the company dress code or are they trying to weed out people who think all they need to do is show up and look good?
Exactly! That was the point that I was making in my post. Different employers are going to interpret that question differently, and the employee has no way of knowing what the real intention is. As I said before, another interpretation is "Do you understand and accept that life isn't fair", where obviously the employer wants you to answer True.

Quote:
5. Do you tell people about their faults if they really need to hear it? TRUE
Again, I really think that depends on the type of job. If they just want you to be a doormat who keeps his/her mouth shut, they probably want you to answer False.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search