Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 01:52 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,163,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireblade3 View Post
I would hire him if his last name was a certain Zuckerberg !
No you wouldn't. If anything, Zuckerberg would hire you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 09:17 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
They were not clean, had a cartoon print, and were not appropriate for the weather (polarfleece when it's 90 degrees out?). And apparently no underwear.
This is not all that unusual in my field (computers/software engineering)

Quote:
But for an interview it seemed a bit over the top.
Maybe he already has another job lined up and simply decided to have a bit of fun.

Quote:
Am I a bad person if I don't hire him because of his outfit?
Hmmm. Since the fact that you wear pajamas to work sometimes, wouldn't that make you a hypocrit?

Old 08-07-2014, 10:37 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,743 times
don't get me wrong. i would never wear pajamas to an interview (or to work for that matter). for interviews i always wear khakis or slacks and a button up shirt or a polo shirt. for shoes, i wear casual dress shoes (the kind that don't need to be polished). for my bag, i bring a backpack. i find that at least in tech, it's not out of place, i'm dressed slightly better than those around me. you would probably not offend anyone here but it's still a risky move. you do want to be comfortable though because the interviews are difficult and the last thing you want to do is try to answer questions while you're feeling stiff and uncomfortable.

one of my close friends told me when i interviewed here...in a laughing voice "whatever you do, don't wear a suit man...you'll look funny."

Last edited by RVD90277; 08-07-2014 at 10:48 AM..

Old 08-07-2014, 11:36 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,163,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Since the fact that you wear pajamas to work sometimes, wouldn't that make you a hypocrit?
No, because she didn't wear pajamas to the *interview.*
Apples to oranges...

Old 08-07-2014, 11:45 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Maybe he had a few beers with breakfast. That would make anyone sleepy.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:53 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
They were not clean, had a cartoon print, and were not appropriate for the weather (polarfleece when it's 90 degrees out?). And apparently no underwear.

He also had on an old tshirt, bare feet, and two of those plastic wristbands you get at music festivals to show you paid. (Those things are dang uncomfortable! Can you imagine sleeping in them? But he must have, for at least the last two nights.) He didn't look like he'd had a shower today.

Now, this is not for some fancy schmancy job. We get dirty, don't deal with the public, and I myself have been known to wear pajama pants to work. (Hey, they are comfortable.) I would have been ok with his clothing if he were actually working here.

But for an interview it seemed a bit over the top.

I thought to myself, 'He seems way to concerned about outward appearances, with those concert bracelets especially.' And then I thought, 'I bet that's the opposite reaction from what he expects.'

Am I a bad person if I don't hire him because of his outfit?

(Note for mods: I was unsure whether this belonged here or in 'Fashion'; feel free to move it if you think that's best. Ultimately, it is an employment question, but I have never posted in this subforum before.)
No you are not a bad person. He sounds like a person with substance abuse problems who barely pulled himself up out of a passed out stupor to go to the interview. Those plastic wristbands are interesting too. Why keep them on after the concert/show? To show you're into drugging it up at these things for the other "cool kids?" Because that's what goes on at all these things to some extent. Sure not everyone who attends them is drugging it up, but there is NO show that doesn't have their share of "Molly" (or whatever the up to the moment "in" drug is) aficionados. Arriving at an interview like he did, I would bet he's one of the main psychedelic "partiers" at these things. And who wants to hire THAT? You'd have to be crazy NOT to take his appearance into account. Not hiring him is a good call!

Old 08-07-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Nila, this is a bit of a double standard in my opinion.
How can it be okay to wear pajama pants to work if you already work there but not okay to wear pajama pants to an interview?

His appearance does not sound pleasant however, does he qualify to do the job?
He can clean up, shower, put shoes on, wear real clothes and told that underwear and the rest is required because of insurance and the working environment.
Would you really hire an adult someone that has to be TOLD these things?

Imagine what else you will have to waste your valuable time "telling" him about in order to get some work out of him ...

Old 08-07-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Sometimes you just have to wear your own big girl panties, pull them up tight and say what needs to be said.
I agree! I would shout "NEXT!!!" after getting an eyeful of that one!

Old 08-07-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I would have hired him. So many people go to interviews all dolled up or dressed like a banker but what does that have to do with skills or anything? Nothing. You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig. You can put a suit on a donkey and it's still a donkey.

At least the guy who showed up in pajamas is REAL not putting on some fake persona like dressing up in a suit. The saying goes never trust someone who wears a suit.
Sounds like the guy who showed up is a filthy pig WITHOUT the lipstick ... who would hire that?

Old 08-07-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Most homeless people still wear a pair of shoes. It's amazing how many people in this thread are making so many excuses for this guy.
Exactly! I think some people just like to argue and if we started a thread that said, "The sky is blue!" they would vehemently scream it's purple!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search