Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 01:08 PM

329 posts, read 387,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
It is my job to judge applicants, choose who to interview, and then hire who I believe will be the best candidate.
Yep. I aways find it funny that people walk in looking like they just went fishing wearing shorts flip flops and tank tops asking if we are hiring.
Going to look for work, dress like you are going to work. Just a piece of advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 01:18 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Simple question to the OP.

If I was the employer, why should I hire you? What can you offer me?
It doesn't have to be work achievements.

Just some redeeming qualities for a start, even something simple and personal.

Example, take good care of my pets, keep my room clean, etc.

Anything?

Old 08-08-2014, 01:19 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Does the OP have the money to pay for his own place? Does the OP have a job that will support a place of their own? If not then they have not earned the right to live on their own. I don't see how hard that is to figure out. You can live on your own when you can afford to do that.
Yet again, I understand the point.

The way it's being made is just in such a curt way.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:25 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Yet again, I understand the point.

The way it's being made is just in such a curt way.
OK, I understand, and chances are many within the City Data Forum world read the same kind of posts from the same people that want to have it all and do not want to work for it. Sometimes it is hard to seperate one thread from another that some one may have particpated in or started. If you ask a single question about a given subject and recieve an answer then OK, chances are most people will be nice to you. Yes we should be nice all the time I get that. Still, when a given poster asks, acts like, has a routine of asking the same kind of questions then their are those that will open up, remember the frequency of post, type, and label that person a repeat offender. Some people can get upset about that over time.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:37 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
What can someone like me do about this when all the applications are online-based? For example, a fast food establishment. I would never do this, but if they really assume that, I'd like to try and intervene first. Is calling the manager after applying the only way to tell them I'm not hiding anything, and really just don't have much work history? I can't tell them "in the interview" because it's rare they even give me an interview. I don't understand why someone would ever assume something like this about an applicant in the first place, when W2 legitimate employment can be easily checked via SS#. Right?

Just seems like another flaw of the online application system. If someone doesn't have much work history it automatically means they are hiding 500 jobs they worked at or because they are an ex-con or something. This is massive, massive discrimination on a nationwide level. But is there anything employers do within the hiring process these days that isn't against the law?
Nonsense.

If you applied for a job for me in my former corporate world, or my retail store or my current DOG WALKING business with NO work history, let alone experience, I wouldn't even consider you.

I couldn't care less if you had "500 prior jobs" or zero.

What's hilarious about this complaint is I recall seeing several prior posts here over the years claiming it just WASN"T WORTH IT to take a 'low paying job" and better to just not to work until finding a 'dream job".

LOL last laugh.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:57 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Still, when a given poster asks, acts like, has a routine of asking the same kind of questions then their are those that will open up, remember the frequency of post, type, and label that person a repeat offender. Some people can get upset about that over time.

Agreed. Its the same thing over and over with Parried.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:00 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
What can someone like me do about this when all the applications are online-based? For example, a fast food establishment. I would never do this, but if they really assume that, I'd like to try and intervene first. Is calling the manager after applying the only way to tell them I'm not hiding anything, and really just don't have much work history? I can't tell them "in the interview" because it's rare they even give me an interview. I don't understand why someone would ever assume something like this about an applicant in the first place, when W2 legitimate employment can be easily checked via SS#. Right?

Just seems like another flaw of the online application system. If someone doesn't have much work history it automatically means they are hiding 500 jobs they worked at or because they are an ex-con or something. This is massive, massive discrimination on a nationwide level. But is there anything employers do within the hiring process these days that isn't against the law?
There are plenty of employers who don't use online hiring systems. Hell, there are plenty of employers who do basically little or no background screening other than a criminal history search. If you haven't found such an employer yet, you're not trying hard enough.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:04 PM

29,824 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I understand your point.

It was just a nasty way in which you made it.

Like I said, who are you to tell someone what they do and don't deserve? You're not the OP's ruler...
The OP is not dictating anything. The forces of economics dictate that a whiner who chooses to whine instead of improving their lot in life cannot have a dedicated living space because... They cannot pay rent, or afford to purchase a place of their own.

A quality judge of anything you are not. And the evidence is not hard to come by.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:58 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The OP is not dictating anything. The forces of economics dictate that a whiner who chooses to whine instead of improving their lot in life cannot have a dedicated living space because... They cannot pay rent, or afford to purchase a place of their own.

A quality judge of anything you are not. And the evidence is not hard to come by.

Agreed.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:02 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The OP is not dictating anything.
Where or when did I say the OP was dictating anything?

That comment was referring to the posters who sound as if they have a stick up their arse given how curt their responses are. Even if people are tired of the OP's post, it doesn't give them a right to be rude about it.

It's one thing to tell the OP that they can't have a place to live until they find a job that can afford them their lifestyle, but it's completely different to tell them in such an abrupt tone that they don't DESERVE something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search