Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 02:20 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,203,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
What can someone like me do about this when all the applications are online-based? For example, a fast food establishment. I would never do this, but if they really assume that, I'd like to try and intervene first. Is calling the manager after applying the only way to tell them I'm not hiding anything, and really just don't have much work history? I can't tell them "in the interview" because it's rare they even give me an interview. I don't understand why someone would ever assume something like this about an applicant in the first place, when W2 legitimate employment can be easily checked via SS#. Right?

Just seems like another flaw of the online application system. If someone doesn't have much work history it automatically means they are hiding 500 jobs they worked at or because they are an ex-con or something. This is massive, massive discrimination on a nationwide level. But is there anything employers do within the hiring process these days that isn't against the law?
Yes. If they ask your age or birthdate on the application or during the interview. This violates age discrimination laws. Interviewers will judge you. I size them up as well. I had one that was nervously tapping his fingers on the table while asking me about my years of experience. He clearly was scared of me possible rising up the ladder and usurping his position. While I waited to be interviewed I noticed that every person in the office except the interviewer was a woman. I knew I wasn't getting this position. I was interviewed merely for legal reasons. He even told me to call him and then had the receptionist lie for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 02:31 PM

741 posts, read 915,545 times
The big problem is that there just aren't enough jobs to force employers to accept anything less than the best. It's a completely macroeconomic issue. When PhD's are serving coffee, there's a problem.

Unfortunately, everyone cannot be the best and this leaves a lot of mothers, brothers, uncles and friends out in the cold, looking for work, competing against people who have massively superior resumes.

I have a friend who's neighbors with one of the more recognizable cast members of the TV show 'Deadliest Catch'. I've had a chance to hang out with the guy (super cool dude). He mentioned that prior to the show, those guys were getting paid through the nose because the work was so dangerous, so back-breaking, so hard that nobody wanted to do it. Now that TV came along and glamorized it, suddenly, they're DELUGED with applications from people who want to come and be crab fisherman on the Bearing Sea.

You can get your CDL in 2 months. You can drive to Dallas or Williston and be making $60K-80K hauling water to the rigs as a new guy/gal, right now. The funny thing is, if Discovery Channel did a popular TV show called "Oil Field Truckers" and characterized the drivers in that uniquely reality-show format, glamorized the profession like they did with crab fishing, suddenly, they too would be overwhelmed with fresh CDL graduates, wanting to do what they saw on TV but by that point, it's too late. If you aren't already in, you're out.

If there are no opportunities where you are, go to the opportunities. I'd love to live in the most rural, mountainous part of Washington but there's no work there, so I can't live there. Likewise, if there's no work where you are, you may have to make the decision to move to where the work is.

This is one of those issues where self-starters have a huge edge on people who want to sit around filling out 'online applications' all day and hope they'll find a future in non-essential work.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:34 PM

498 posts, read 978,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
Yes. If they ask your age or birthdate on the application or during the interview. This violates age discrimination laws.
I don't think this is exactly true. Not hiring someone because they're 50 is illegal discrimination. I don't think the same applies for not hiring someone because they're 50 and haven't held a steady job in their 32 years of adulthood, which is the sort of circumstance the OP seems to be asking about.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:42 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
I don't think this is exactly true. Not hiring someone because they're 50 is illegal discrimination. I don't think the same applies for not hiring someone because they're 50 and haven't held a steady job in their 32 years of adulthood, which is the sort of circumstance the OP seems to be asking about.
Age discrimination is illegal but it is rampant because it is impossible to prove. Employers can always come up with a reason not to hire someone or just throw out the catch all euphemism "fit." Hence the they know exactly what they can get away with. It happens a lot to young women applicants to [could get pregnant] good luck proving it.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:54 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
You still do not understand, what the interviewer is doing.

The interviewer is attempting to fill the position with the best person possible that will bring the most to the company. This is hiring a CEO for a major corporation, or hiring someone for a fast food burger restaurant.

Their job, is to select who they feel is the best person for the job, period. They will hire an experienced person, with a proven track record if possible. Next they chose someone with as close to the position experience as possible.

When they want online applications, they are going to get a lot of them many places in the country. A computer program will eliminate most of them. The ones that get past the computer review will be gone over and placed in two piles. The maybe pile, and the rejection pile. The maybe pile will then be called in for interviews. One of those persons will be selected for the job. Only one of these people will stand out as the best candidate, and that is the one that is offered the job.

When you do not get an interview, others just looked better on paper than you did. When you are interviewed and someone else gets the job, it does not mean you are a bad person. It only means that someone else appeared to be a better fit for the job. In some big cities in certain areas of town, if you don't speak a certain language, can keep you from being hired even if you have years of experience and a perfect employee. You have to speak that language to be able to communicate with a large percentage of the customers and other employees.

What they are doing, is not illegal. All they are doing is trying to hire the best person for the job that they can find. It does not matter if it is a new CEO, or someone to work in a fast food restaurant.

In our part of the country, if you want a job in fast foods as an example, you see help wanted reader board signs in front of the majority of the fast food restaurants, and if you go in, fill out an application you may very well be interviewed right then, and may be asked to start the next day at considerably above minimum wages.

Other parts of the country you may find that there would be 100 or more applying for the job and made told to apply over the internet, as they don't have time to interview all the potential applicants.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:57 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
What can someone like me do about this when all the applications are online-based? For example, a fast food establishment. I would never do this, but if they really assume that, I'd like to try and intervene first. Is calling the manager after applying the only way to tell them I'm not hiding anything, and really just don't have much work history? I can't tell them "in the interview" because it's rare they even give me an interview. I don't understand why someone would ever assume something like this about an applicant in the first place, when W2 legitimate employment can be easily checked via SS#. Right?

Just seems like another flaw of the online application system. If someone doesn't have much work history it automatically means they are hiding 500 jobs they worked at or because they are an ex-con or something. This is massive, massive discrimination on a nationwide level. But is there anything employers do within the hiring process these days that isn't against the law?
There is nothing illegal in most hiring processes. Judging you is EXACTLY what an interview is for, too judge you and see if you could fit in this job. It is far from discriminatory.

No warehouse of information contains your work history that a private employer can just look you up in.

Everyone is in the same bat and if what you allege was true in any kind of volume, nobody would ever get hired?

Old 08-04-2014, 03:02 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Yes. If they ask your age or birthdate on the application or during the interview. This violates age discrimination laws.
WRONG! Stop advising - you do not know what you're talking about.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:05 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
"How to stop employers from judging you when they don't even know who you are? "

You don't.

You HAVE to be judged, and compared to others, so that the best candidate can be selected.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:07 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
He clearly was scared of me possible rising up the ladder and usurping his position. .
Uh huh....
Scared.
Of you.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:08 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Uh huh....
Scared.
Of you.
Yes, he obviously felt threatened, tapping his fingers and all.

Where is the emoticon laughing hysterically over the comedy of it all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search