Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 08:10 AM

79 posts, read 204,163 times

Advertisements

I've been having such a difficult time finding a new position. I have many connections on Linkedin but I have found the site to be somewhat useless to this point. My question is, how do you properly reach out to someone without simply hounding people for a job, especially when you vaguely know the person? Are there any success stories out there of people finding a job through their Linkedin connection? Sorry, I know this question must sound so sophomoric, but I've never really had to network to this point in my career. My experience always landed me good jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 08:18 AM

35,102 posts, read 31,358,877 times
When I applied for jobs via LinkedIn, I did receive more callbacks. Still, I do think reaching out to someone often makes you seem desperate.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Still, I do think reaching out to someone often makes you seem desperate.
That's exactly how I feel every time I sit down to go through my Linkedin contacts. Part of me is telling myself that I need to make something happen. The other part of me is thinking how desperate I'll come off, especially when most of these people I just know on a very superficial Linkedin level.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:29 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,431,738 times
Honestly I think for myself and my coworkers LinkedIn is just that thing we joined a few years ago and still get annoying emails from. Last time I used it I was getting slammed with recruiters trying to get me into hourly part time jobs when I clearly worked for Fortune 10 full time with pension.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Honestly I think for myself and my coworkers LinkedIn is just that thing we joined a few years ago and still get annoying emails from. Last time I used it I was getting slammed with recruiters trying to get me into hourly part time jobs when I clearly worked for Fortune 10 full time with pension.
That's how I feel as well. I just keep trying to figure out what else I can do to help myself find a new position. I find a few jobs to apply to on Linkedin from time to time, but in terms of connections, it sounds like most people don't get much out of Linkedin.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:34 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,842,230 times
Linkedin was helpful for me when I was looking for a new job. I looked through my contacts who were in same profession & started applying at their companies. Linkedin started suggesting similar jobs & companies based on my search, so I applied there as well. I didn't bother anyone by asking them to push my resume to the HR. If I got a call back from their company, I would email my Linkedin contact about my job interview & check with them to see if it was alrite to use them as my reference. Some companies provide cash incentives to their employees if they end up hiring a candidate they recommended so my contacts were happy to recommend me. I would say contact them only after the company schedules the interview.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:37 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,431,738 times
The way that I landed both of my full time career positions was via indeed.com
I ran across a position that I liked, applied, and let my resume speak for itself. I didn't network for either of them. That being said Im in an "In demand" industry.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:39 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,846,775 times
The reason LinkedIn often seems desperate is that it is rarely used to contact someone one truly knows. 'Functional networking' is about contacting people who one actually knows ... and who knows them; and presenting one's self in a non-desperate manner (eg; "Relax! I do not expect you to have or even know of an immediate position. I am wondering, however, if your fresh set of eyes on my resume - might help you give me some advice.")

Old 08-20-2014, 08:53 AM

All good advice. I do feel more comfortable with contacting people after I have an interview lined up.

Indeed.com is a great source. I've also been using simplyhired.com.

Great idea about asking people to look over my resume, as well. At least, if anything they will know I'm looking.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:26 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,906,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
When I applied for jobs via LinkedIn, I did receive more callbacks.
Same here! In fact my last job and the offer I accepted this week came from Linkedin postings. I did not have direct connections to the companies.
Quote:
Still, I do think reaching out to someone often makes you seem desperate.
It depends I think. I met someone at a networking and later saw her company was hiring in a position that I was a pretty good fit for. I reached out to her, and she told me they already had a finalist. That was helpful info, nothing lost there.

A few jobs ago, our HR and CEO would send a message out to their connections about new open positions. This worked pretty well. I have also had people I know reach out because I was connected to someone they wanted to connect with. As long as I didn't hate the people at either end, I facilitated. Warning the other party first, before approving the connection.

It works if it is genuine. I do find I get lots of requests (non-recruiter) for people I have never met. That is really odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search