Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 09:43 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times

Advertisements

From some of the comments, it appears that the author did not graduate with a CS degree, but actually graduated with an MIS degree. If that's true, he has a business degree, NOT an engineering degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 10:03 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
From some of the comments, it appears that the author did not graduate with a CS degree, but actually graduated with an MIS degree. If that's true, he has a business degree, NOT an engineering degree.
Computer Science is not engineering either.

Not that it makes a difference, but it isn't.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:41 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Computer Science is not engineering either.

Not that it makes a difference, but it isn't.
He could be a Software Engineer (see explanation on previous posts from other people) which is under the umbrella of computer science. He could also be a Network Engineer. Both of these would just have Computer Science as their degree title.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:06 PM
WDJ

286 posts, read 789,190 times
MIS is nowhere close to being a CS degree. I looked up the MIS on PSU's website (Undergraduate Management Information Systems (MIS) Major) and looks like it's hosted under the college of business. Not much programming involved from looking at the curriculum.

The article is full of inaccuracies, and it's as if it were written to be click-bait. The moment I read the line about not having learned to write an ad copy, I started scratching my head about his guy's background.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:09 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
He could be a Software Engineer (see explanation on previous posts from other people) which is under the umbrella of computer science. He could also be a Network Engineer. Both of these would just have Computer Science as their degree title.

That's kind of engineering.

MIS is a bit different.

Last edited by JJS99; 08-28-2014 at 03:22 PM..

Old 08-28-2014, 03:38 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
That's kind of engineering.

MIS is a bit different.
MIS is a LOT different. And I was going off of Jobaba saying that Computer Science is not engineering. We don't know what type of CS degree the person in the article is talking about except that their mentioned it was engineering. That person could indeed be a software engineer. We just don't know.

***edit*** I read the article again and it mentioned that his degree qualified him as a programmer. In possible other words 'Software Engineer'. I'm not even sure how MIS got into the discussion.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:51 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,410,406 times
when your studying engineering in college you need to become good friends with the smartest nerdiest people you can find

they will get a job when the graduate (often before) and hopefully will help a "friend" get in too

called networking

Old 08-28-2014, 04:11 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,622,182 times
If you don't mind, OP, I'm going to send this to my cousin who just started at Penn State Main Campus for engineering.

Edit: maybe not. Looks like the article is inaccurate. We're trying to get my cousin to stay in school... he doesn't need this.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:23 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
MIS is a LOT different. And I was going off of Jobaba saying that Computer Science is not engineering. We don't know what type of CS degree the person in the article is talking about except that their mentioned it was engineering. That person could indeed be a software engineer. We just don't know.

***edit*** I read the article again and it mentioned that his degree qualified him as a programmer. In possible other words 'Software Engineer'. I'm not even sure how MIS got into the discussion.
I meant it in the sense that a CS degree is not ABET accredited.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:28 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
The article is odd because it states he studied engineering but also states "Businesses aren’t looking for college grads, they’re looking for employees who can actually do things – like build iPhone apps"

So if he studied programming shouldn't that have covered iphone apps? Then again how much are you going to make off of one app. Programming is getting old. It is a industry that moves too fast and frankly I think one year experience is equal to two in other industries.
At least not when I studied a decade back. Yes, I know Iphone apps didn't exist back then, but to make my illustrative point... they teach you some combo of C, C++, Java, and perhaps Perl, SQL. But a lot of this stuff is half conceptual as it is functional. Also, while knowing this shows you at least have knowledge, they will want people who have experience working on actual software projects, which these courses mostly don't cover.

If nothing else, they teach you how to learn, and how to learn how to develop Iphone apps. An easier and more practical way to learn iOS development would probably be to spend some $$ taking a week long course like a friend of mine did. However, there are other costs too, like paying $100 a year to remain an iOS developer, and if you're not an OSX user, the minimum cost for a MacBook that can handle iOS development is around $500. I had a couple of people who created iOS apps say you don't need to code in OSX, but you'll need access to an OSX environment.

As for making $$ as an iOS developer, I was thinking you do freelance work or work for "the man", as opposed to running your own store front on the AppStore. They're supposed to get $60 to $100 an hour, but whether or not the market's currently paying that rate is another thing entirely
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search