Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 12:00 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,739,459 times

Advertisements

Why not substitute teach? They are more likely to be needed than admin positions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 12:13 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,627,979 times
Randomlikeme, I'm not certified to teach and don't have an education background. I don't really have the money to go back to school for that and well, I'm not fond of children (I prefer working with adults).

Old 10-03-2014, 01:11 PM

310 posts, read 686,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
What would really be cool is if they asked and you whipped it out (the bgc) and said "Already did it".
Let's think about this ...
The background check is required to filter out perverts and abusers. Do you think that they will be satisfied if you pull out a piece of paper that says that you aren't one of them? Or do you think it's much more likely that they will run their own background check and won't rely on a piece of paper the person under investigation is providing?

Old 10-03-2014, 03:06 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,342,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarelyRelocating View Post
Let's think about this ...
The background check is required to filter out perverts and abusers. Do you think that they will be satisfied if you pull out a piece of paper that says that you aren't one of them? Or do you think it's much more likely that they will run their own background check and won't rely on a piece of paper the person under investigation is providing?
Honestly, I don't even know if you can get some kind of certificate. The site I'm on shows that I passed the background check in my profile. The fee probably allows the company access to the database. But I don't know why they'd accept your DL, SS card, Passport or birth certificate and not accept an official transcript from a background check (if one's even available). Maybe someone knows.

(the expense would be deductible on your taxes if you did the long form... pretty sure the op wouldn't be doing that)

Old 10-03-2014, 05:26 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,931,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
You mean to tell me that you have to hand over money to a potential employer to investigate you, all for 10 dollars an hour?!!
It is fairly common for teaching to pay for certifications (first aid and fingerprint clearance) or CPAs and insurance agents needing to pass state tests. This is all on their own dime. Sad but not uncommon.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:30 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,931,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
Why not substitute teach? They are more likely to be needed than admin positions.
You need a teaching certification and many districts are actually fairly over-saturated in teachers and substitues because of lack of availible jobs compared to the supply (in some states all you need is a BA/BS.)

Old 10-03-2014, 06:05 PM

45,456 posts, read 60,680,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You need a teaching certification and many districts are actually fairly over-saturated in teachers and substitues because of lack of availible jobs compared to the supply (in some states all you need is a BA/BS.)

In all states all you need is BS/BA to be a first year teacher. Most have a requirement to acquire a Master's or equivalent within a specified number of years.
Wiki, but pretty accurate:
Certified teacher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know where you guys get the idea that school systems require a Master's to become a first year teacher. That, in fact, makes someone more unemployable as a teacher since Master's holders are more expensive. They go to the bottom of the pile in most cases.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:37 AM

8,635 posts, read 9,149,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It is fairly common for teaching to pay for certifications (first aid and fingerprint clearance) or CPAs and insurance agents needing to pass state tests. This is all on their own dime. Sad but not uncommon.
That makes since to me and have heard of those procedures before. My thinking goes along the lines of a new precedent where scams are spawned to take advantage of young people looking for work in this day of age which is not easy and very competitive, just to line the pockets of a group of hustlers, which abound. However if those kind of jobs can easily lead to a bright future then perhaps the investigative fee is appropriate.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:16 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,125,090 times
Here in South Florida to get your real estate license you have to pay for your own background check.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:22 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,382,309 times
Default We pay for everything up here....and it's not ten bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I'm interested in applying for a temporary job through the school district I graduated from. It's requiring me to pay for my own background checks. Is that the norm nowadays: you paying for your own checks? I've always heard that I shouldn't pay for those, that it's the employer's responsibility. I want this job, though. $10... for the one I saw (not sure if there is a payment for the FBI check) isn't too bad I guess. Here's the requirements (for the instructional aides... I'm not certified to teach, so I'm the 2nd category):

Employment Opportunities / Overview
Even volunteer and vulnerable positions are checked now. Up here in Canada it can be forty or fifty bucks easily. And each position may need a separate check. Sheesh.

My brother had a special rural program he volunteered for, and by the time the check was done the program was over. There's a time limit as well. They only stay current for ninety days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search