Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 11:32 PM

270 posts, read 273,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
It really depends on the product. As a salesperson you need to be an expert, advise how to best use it, how it will improve workflow etc. if it's something you don't know you'll probably fail.
Again, please tell me how the word expert and entry level fit into the same sentence? What you're asking for is someone with no experience with a computer science degree to apply for an entry level sales job. Does that even make sense?

Let's see, work as a software engineer and make 100k plus right out of college or work entry level sales and hope to make 70k my first year if I hit my quota. Also, when you think of computer science majors, is sales really the first thing that comes to mind? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 05:08 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
I interviewed at one job where they wanted people with an in-depth knowledge of finance & accounting (preferably with an accounting degree) to sell their software. When I asked them in the interview that accounting and sales are two extremely different job skills, it must be tough to find sales people. They stared back at me and said that most of the company had accounting backgrounds, yet knew how to sell aggressively. Looked at the background of everyone in their sales department and all I could see were BYU grads. Their sales department had gone through sales training at one of the best places for it, training for and going out on their two year church mission.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:08 AM

757 posts, read 1,093,864 times
I have been in sales my whole career. I have sold TV Advertising, Technology, Insurance and now Aviation. I've heard how I would never be able to succeed selling products that I didn't have experience in. Wrong. Sales is about solving problems, fulfilling needs and building relationships. If you are good at those things, you can sell anything.

The one area that comes to mind is technology. I was told by other sales people because I didn't know software, I would never be able to sell. So I learned the basics and fortunately my decision makers were not all tech savvy so I focused on fulfilling the need. I outperformed most in the two tech companies I worked for. When I came up across a decision maker who was tech savvy, I brought in people who could talk tech. I guided the process and the meetings and usually won the deal.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:01 AM

270 posts, read 273,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I interviewed at one job where they wanted people with an in-depth knowledge of finance & accounting (preferably with an accounting degree) to sell their software. When I asked them in the interview that accounting and sales are two extremely different job skills, it must be tough to find sales people. They stared back at me and said that most of the company had accounting backgrounds, yet knew how to sell aggressively. Looked at the background of everyone in their sales department and all I could see were BYU grads. Their sales department had gone through sales training at one of the best places for it, training for and going out on their two year church mission.
I'm very familiar with this program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
I have been in sales my whole career. I have sold TV Advertising, Technology, Insurance and now Aviation. I've heard how I would never be able to succeed selling products that I didn't have experience in. Wrong. Sales is about solving problems, fulfilling needs and building relationships. If you are good at those things, you can sell anything.

The one area that comes to mind is technology. I was told by other sales people because I didn't know software, I would never be able to sell. So I learned the basics and fortunately my decision makers were not all tech savvy so I focused on fulfilling the need. I outperformed most in the two tech companies I worked for. When I came up across a decision maker who was tech savvy, I brought in people who could talk tech. I guided the process and the meetings and usually won the deal.
I agree with you. A sale is a sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search