Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 02:16 AM

143 posts, read 177,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
If you NEED a calculator for simple problems you have other issues ...

EVERY job I have even applied for has had a "MATH" test, some have had more advanced tests than others.

How would you even DO the problem 1/3 of 591(197) or whatever on a basic calculator that would be faster than by hand if you don't already KNOW how to do it?
That doesn't make sense. Almost any division of larger, uneven numbers is faster on a calculator for most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 03:45 AM

105 posts, read 105,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodoven View Post
I once messed up on demoing some equipment I'd known how to use in a job 7 years prior to the interview. Too much time had passed and I forgot 2 steps. They just had to pick that as a random test in the interview! It makes one sick of having to prove one's self to others when they can't understand that you just need a refresher.
I remember I had to take a typing test, the person giving me the test was literally standing over me the whole time. The keyboard had those flat shot touch keys and I was sitting in a weird position. So my stats just tanked.

Another time I had to take a typing test at home, and of course I aced it.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodoven View Post
That doesn't make sense. Almost any division of larger, uneven numbers is faster on a calculator for most people.
that depends..if you are good at math, dividing uneven numbers may be a piece of cake, if you aren't it, you may need a calculator..actually I remember when I was preparing for some math test I had to do to get the job and I was so ashamed when I learned I could barely solve grade-six-or-seven math problems..still after practicing on the above mentioned https://www.khanacademy.org/ and http://yourhomeworkhelp.org/math-tests/ and participating in various math questions and answers like https://socratic.org/questions/ improved my knowledge..well I'd rather say I remembered what I was learning in schooled

Last edited by steph1riggs; 10-31-2016 at 07:41 AM..

Old 03-24-2017, 07:56 AM

4 posts, read 3,410 times
Default You were just nervous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbey View Post
I had an interview Wednesday for a great job! They called me back yesterday for a second interview. I have been out of work 7 months and am 53 yrs old. I really thought this job was the one! I met with the VP of Operations yesterday and it seemed to go very well. He was talking in terms as if I had the job. He said, "I see you be reporting to Sue", etc.... Anyway, the Hiring Manager comes in the room and takes me into another room and gives me a brief math test. The first question was what is 1/3 of 591? I drew a complete blank! I ended up putting down what is 3/4's of 591. My brain felt like mush and I have not done any math problems in years. I was shaking inside and felt like running out. I felt so unprepared. She came back in the room when I was done and we continued to talk about the position. I felt her eyes gazing down at the test as we were speaking and felt she knew it was a fail. She seemed to like me and was telling me about the office atmosphere, how you can listen to I pods etc and that it was a great place to work. Then she said she had another candidate to speak with next week and that they would be making a decision in the New Year. Previously she had said it would be in a couple of weeks. I asked her if I had the skill set they were looking for and she said, 'Yes, or we would not have brought you back in".
I love this place and would love to get this job.

Now the question I have. I need to write thank you notes. Do I address that I failed the math test, although I was not formally told I did. Or just thank her for the interview and blah, blah you know the usual stuff or just blow everything off, knowing I failed the test so I am out of the running and go on my merry way. I am so upset. I have no income coming in and filed my last unemployment last week.
I just don't know what to do and I trust these forums. Any advice would be appreciated. I just don't know what to do. It's the holidays and now I am looking to apply for welfare and go to food banks. I do not want to lose my house. I am looking everywhere for p/t work as well.

Thank you
I know this is a old post but I really wish I would have seen it when this experience was hot... 4th or 5th grade math is a long time removed from being 53 and having the experience that you have certainly would NOT have prohibited me as a hiring manager from first discussing the test with you and ultimately considering you for the position... But that's why I have such a good employee retention rate because I know how to hire! I hope & pray that you were able to find a job, keep your home and live a happy productive life... Best Wishes, with much success

Old 03-24-2017, 10:40 AM

I think that most of the comments were much to harsh and some were ridiculous! At 53 she can count well enough to survive in day to day activities and use a calculator... these kids today are so spell check, and computer depended that they can't hold a decent face to face conversation let alone be able to socialize... god only knows what they would do with 33% of 591! I guarantee that there answer would be worst then Kimberly and they are closer to mathematics courses (elementary school, high school etc.,) then Kimberly! She was nervous and overwhelmed and drew a blank THE best of us have been there... She had a lot on the line and had been out of the interview process for awhile but with the invaluable work experience that she bought to the table and the fact that her math reply was CLEARLY not representative to how she conducted herself in the interview, shows me that she wasn't interviewed by a "seasoned" hiring manager or she'd have the job.
PERIOD!!!!

Old 03-24-2017, 10:43 AM

I don't know of any math test that allows a calculator! Certainly if one was allowed she would have gotten the correct answer!
she really wanted the job!

Old 03-24-2017, 10:50 AM

Also it is very easy to do .33 x 591 on a basic calculator but first you have to understand the mathematical question... 1/3=.33 then .33 x 591 gives you the % or amount= 195.03 is 1/3 of 591

But nervousness can be overwhelming and have you misunderstanding things that you would ordinary get easily...

Old 03-24-2017, 10:52 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess-1960 View Post
Also it is very easy to do .33 x 591 on a basic calculator but first you have to understand the mathematical question... 1/3=.33 then .33 x 591 gives you the % or amount= 195.03 is 1/3 of 591

But nervousness can be overwhelming and have you misunderstanding things that you would ordinary get easily...
Congrats you failed too.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:24 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,165 times
Don't apply to IBM. They require an entry level math test that I must say proved to be difficult.

Lots of companies requiring these type of assessments in their interview process.

Don't waste time being upset.

Old 03-25-2017, 01:24 AM

888 posts, read 805,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess-1960 View Post

1/3 of 591 is 197. 1/3 doesn't equal .33. 33/100 equals .33.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search