Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 07:51 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Be ready on Jan 2 but mostly Jan 5-9. The job boards/job openings are going to double. This occurs every year the 1st week of January because companies often hold off their hiring until the start of the year. But you have to apply as soon as you see the openings. Because some of the good jobs fill in a day or two - or at least they get the candidate list together that soon.

It's like Black Friday for job openings. Be there.

I've never seen what you're describing. Is this in your industry? I don't think I've ever seen jobs open up again until the third week in January.

Having said that, there seems to be a lot more activity in late November and in December than we've seen in previous years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 08:05 PM

133 posts, read 175,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Having said that, there seems to be a lot more activity in late November and in December than we've seen in previous years.
I have noticed that somewhat, too. And I am an entry-level candidate. I have several phone interviews in the works

But I have actually heard, not sure if it is true that some people sit out the job market during November and December thinking that there aren't many listing or that they won't get very many responses. So, I have been actively applying and trying to start networking. I think 2015 will be a strong year for me!

Old 12-17-2014, 08:24 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceE View Post
That seems like taking the easy way out and just plain wrong to do in my opinion. Would prefer to stay away from things like this if possible.
Say What ????

Unemployment is a BENEFIT. It's purpose is to provide income while you are seeking gainful employment. By having funds coming in while unemployed, it takes or reduces the distraction of fiances from your job search. Your employer p[aid into the fund or insurance for just this purpose, not using it when eligible isn't an indication of a smart person.

If you have certain religious reasons for not being able to accept it, that's fine; but if its political or out of some misguided belief of it being "welfare", you need to read up on exactly why unemployment exist.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:28 PM

215 posts, read 607,306 times
Guess I had the wrong idea of it. I've just known far to many people who receive unemployment benefits but don't actually do anything while getting it and trying to find a job. I've just never seen it used for anything good, that's all if that makes sense.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:45 PM

191 posts, read 485,876 times
Quote:
That seems like taking the easy way out and just plain wrong to do in my opinion. Would prefer to stay away from things like this if possible.

Secondly, I have browsed through LinkedIn. Emailed a few recruiters with my resume and have got nothing back from them. Applied for hundreds of jobs through where I was contracting at (their internal job site which I had access to) and still nothing.
Applying for unemployment is not taking the easy way out. No one is asking you to stop looking while collecting unemployment insurance. You are still required to apply for jobs per unemployment rules anyway.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:45 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
Guess I had the wrong idea of it. I've just known far to many people who receive unemployment benefits but don't actually do anything while getting it and trying to find a job. I've just never seen it used for anything good, that's all if that makes sense.
Dude, sign up for unemployment, so you can have some money coming in until you get another gig and stop acting "proud".

Make sure to keep your last paycheck, so that you know EXACTLY how much you made for the year.

I'm sure your state will want you to sign up online.

Hopefully, you'll only need it temporarily.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:49 PM

101 posts, read 141,140 times
Quote:
So be the outlier then. You stated that you're not getting any job offers, so why would you want to risk having no income coming in? Maybe you won't find a job for a year, or two. Very possible in this economy.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:50 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
OrganicLove, great attitude! A lot of people do stop looking from Thanksgiving until mid-January because those months are typically light in the job posting department, but I've heard of a few people, and read of a few here who have landed jobs during that period this year. Hopefully you'll add to the count, as well!

Bryce, the others are right. It's a benefit we all take advantage of when we needed to. No shame there.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:37 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Quote:
So philosophically speaking, if someone just handed you a job (that you didn't earn), you would refuse that too since that too would be "the easy way out"?

As others mentioned, you already paid into the Unemployment, so you're missing out on something that you're entitled to.

Not to go after you values, but if you go for lengths without income, we'll see just how such principles hold up.

Long story short, apply for UE ASAP, and perhaps COBRA too. Continue looking for work in the meantime.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:59 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Quote:
I have a degree and I'm licensed in my state for a profession that is always saying there is a shortage yet it still took me months to find a job. When I was laid-off, the first thing I did was apply for unemployment---so did everyone else at the company.

While I was unemployed, I applied to whatever I could (related to my license) and they gave us a log to keep track of the jobs we applied to while receiving benefits. How nice it was for my husband and I not to be stressed about money because the cost of living where I am is very high.

I was laid-off for exactly three months. That money helped A LOT and I applied for jobs the entire time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search