Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2014, 10:24 AM

13 posts, read 12,028 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I thought I will come on the forum and ask the following from experience individuals. I have been with my current firm for almost 5 years and I've been looking for a new role for almost 1-1.5 years. I am working with a 3rd party recruiting firm and I had successful rounds of interview with Hiring Manager, his manager and a team member. The last portion was completed 2nd week of December which went well and hiring manager gave me a disclaimer that their HR takes awhile.

Right now, my recruiting firm is working with their HR and asked for my previous years this was about 2 weeks ago and no word. I understand currently it is holiday time and many individuals are off. Should I be worried, as I have a lot of incidents that crosses through my mind: I am their 2nd option, position was close, and so on.

I also asked around and people mention maybe they are doing a background check. The company and staffing firm just have my resume no SS# info so they technically cannot find my information without it, no?

THANKS!

edit: changed staffing to recruiting

Last edited by throwaway123; 12-29-2014 at 11:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 10:55 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Two weeks is nothing during the holidays.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:13 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,801,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwaway123 View Post
and hiring manager gave me a disclaimer that their HR takes awhile.
Heed the disclaimer.

Don't spend too much time worrying and thinking about what ifs. You have a life to live in the meantime.

Have a fun new year and best of luck.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:31 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
Why are you relying on your staffing firm to find you a new job? I'm shocked they are helping you. They usually want you to stay with the original client forever and if you express any desire to move on they will tell you no or fire you as soon as they find a replacement and blacklist you.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Why are you relying on your staffing firm to find you a new job? I'm shocked they are helping you. They usually want you to stay with the original client forever and if you express any desire to move on they will tell you no or fire you as soon as they find a replacement and blacklist you.
I do apologize. I believe I used the wrong term but they are a recruiting firm. They get paid if the firm they send me for an interview wants to hire me as a commission.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:54 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
I see. That is different you are using an executive recruiter who gets paid a fee for placement rather than a staffing agency that keeps the difference between what the client is paying them and what they pay the worker. That makes more sense.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:24 PM

5,280 posts, read 6,217,453 times
Ask the recruiter if they have dealt with them before & this is typical. I was 'recruited' by a recruiter a couple of years ago. & while it didn't lead to an offer (wrong field in the height of the recession) one thing I did appreciate is that they were great at ferretting out info I could not/would not know to ask. Some firms- especially when going through HR- really do take a month to decide anything. I had always assumed that all positions got filled within 48 hours of interviews because that was my previous experience.

Also- if you are second choice & end up getting the job- you'll still have the job offer. If its better than your current position make the jump. I was once a second pick but got a job because they decided they needed an additional new hire at the 11th hour of the hiring process. It's not like settling in marriage where someone always questions what might have been. Even small businesses hire countless people over time so as long as you are qualified, capable how you ended up in the job does not matter. How you perform will.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:05 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
Before they start a background check, you sign/agree to it and give specific info such as SSN, DOB, addresses for past X years and answer questions about prior arrests/convictions. Usually the drug screening goes on around the same time as the background check. It most companies both of these are initiated within a day or two of you accepting an offer.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:43 AM

Thank you all for your feedback...

Yesterday I received and update from the recruiter and I was given an verbal offer which I agreed to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search