Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2015, 12:05 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
The information would need to be substantiated through past discipline, negative performance reviews, demotion, etc. If that history is not actually documented, it is slanderous, and she needs to seek relief.
Almost all companies document the crap out of this stuff to protect themselves from potential litigation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 12:06 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRenaud View Post
WOW!!!! I cannot believe what I'm reading here at all. Do you have no ethics at all??? Shame on you
Actually this does work. A girl at my last job used a friend who was actually a coworker and since he was employed at the place she was currently working she got the job with no problem.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
With that company. Like I said, plenty of fish in the sea. Besides the OP is no worse off. He is unemployed now.

Besides once you get past the third party background screening you are good. So the OP should find out rather quickly if he/she is successful.

I think you guys overestimate how in depth a typical background check is. A typical low/mid level position will check for drug use, criminal history, sometimes credit, and for reference check some low paid worker at a BI checking company is going to call the number and verify the references and employment and send a report back to the company. IF they call the number and someone at that number says ACME inc yes this person worked here as a widget assembler from X to X and was a great employee They send the report back to the hiring company. That is it they don't recheck in 6 months or whatever it costs money.
You know ZIP about background check companies. I've been in this field for YEARS. We have databases with company contact information that we use, we do not rely on the info on the applications so putting fake info won't work. We also pull employment histories from the credit bureaus because we KNOW 85% of applicants lie on their applications in some way so we trust nothing on the app, we verify everything. If you got away with lieing, you lucked out and found some cheap company who doesn't care who they hire. Hope you aren't working next to a psycho ax murderer

Last edited by CLR210; 01-17-2015 at 12:36 AM..

Old 01-17-2015, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Actually this does work. A girl at my last job used a friend who was actually a coworker and since he was employed at the place she was currently working she got the job with no problem.
I didn't say it wouldn't work but it is dishonest as Hell and it is WRONG!

Old 01-17-2015, 12:42 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Well she had a criminal background and had no choice

Old 01-17-2015, 06:45 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,224,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerBlossom2015 View Post
So I've been unemployed for almost three years. It's not for a lack of applying. I was blackballed by my two former employers for quitting without notice. I hated my bosses and coworkers and they hated me. So I quit. I can't omit these employers because they take up five years of work history. Prior to quiting there were never any complaints about my work it just wasn't a good cultural fit at either place. Each of them actually asked me to stay when Ingave notice, So over the last few years I've made it through many interview processes mainly to the last round of three or four rounds and instead of calling references that I provide the companies contact my old employers who say not to hire me. They never even reach out to the references that I list only to the company HR TEAMS and prior managers

So I recently had an phone interview with a HR manager for a corporate position. That goes well and he tells me the hiring manager is apprehensive about speaking to me since I haven't worked in so long, I can understand that. He goes on to say that the hiring manager will not even grant me an interview unless I provide him the names of my last two managers to call. I hated each of my last managers but would be willing to provide references from organizations that I've volunteered at over the last couple years. He says no he wants my hiring managers info before he will even schedule a phone interview with me and the hiring manager. What would you do?

How long should a person be punished for leaving a job or jobs on bad terms?
Look at post #4. You almost don't have a choice. I would find a company that just got scattered to the four winds and use them as a work history. No one can check your references when there is no personnel dept.. Also, you didn't have time to get phone numbers because you all got called into the meeting the same day if they ask.

And one last thing. Grow up. This is the new America. They don't want us anymore.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:29 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Yes that won't send up any red flags
Say I can't comment that company policy is only to give titles and dates of employment which is true for 90% of companies out there.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
You know ZIP about background check companies. I've been in this field for YEARS. We have databases with company contact information that we use, we do not rely on the info on the applications so putting fake info won't work. We also pull employment histories from the credit bureaus because we KNOW 85% of applicants lie on their applications in some way so we trust nothing on the app, we verify everything. If you got away with lieing, you lucked out and found some cheap company who doesn't care who they hire. Hope you aren't working next to a psycho ax murderer
Credit bureaus list companies you have an account like credit cards and the like not everyone you ever worked for. Feel free to get your free annual credit report and confirm that. Equifax's Worknumber has partial information but not all companies use them. A company not being on WN is not a red flag.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
As I said companies have nor moral leg to stand on in demanding strict ethics from applicants. They lie, cheat, do everything slimy and their only limit is the law and money and sometimes the law doesn't even stop them. Play by the same rules they do.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
WOW!!!! I cannot believe what I'm reading here at all. Do you have no ethics at all??? Shame on you
Not when it comes to dealing with employment. I have long since learned the rules of the game namely that there are none. Companies know exactly what they can get away with and ethics rarely has anything to do with it. So should the candidates. I don't know why candidates should have the handicap of a strict ethical code other than the fact that is how businesses want it. To have complete and total power over workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search