Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2015, 04:37 PM

36 posts, read 53,889 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have been getting email and phone calls from recruiters that have heavy Indian accents. It sounds as though they are in a room full of people making the same type of calls.

They tell me they found my resume on Monster, etc..

The jobs are in my area and sound and look legit. Does anyone know what is up with this, and are they trustworthy? One of the recruiters wanted the last of my SS number and day/month of birth.
That sounded shady, so I gave a bogus number.

I was called right back and told that my number was incorrect. I just told them to email me info to look over and I would get back to them

The thing is, I need a job and I also don't want to be scammed.

Thank you in advance for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 01:30 PM

21 posts, read 26,139 times
Receiving calls from heavy accent people is normal and sometime it's hard to understand since they use Skype most of the time.

Just don't provide any personal details and ask them to arrange interview and rest can be figured out afterwards.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:13 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,308,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenmcc View Post
Hello,

I have been getting email and phone calls from recruiters that have heavy Indian accents. It sounds as though they are in a room full of people making the same type of calls.

The jobs are in my area and sound and look legit. Does anyone know what is up with this, and are they trustworthy? One of the recruiters wanted the last of my SS number and day/month of birth.
That sounded shady, so I gave a bogus number.

I was called right back and told that my number was incorrect. I just told them to email me info to look over and I would get back to them

The thing is, I need a job and I also don't want to be scammed.

Nothing has ever come of any contact from these people in my experience. They lock you into a right to represent and then nobody local can present you for that job.

They won't work hard for you and they don't care.

Anytime I get an e-mail from one of them with a job that looks even remotely interesting (and that is rare), I google the job description and find a local firm also trying to fill that same requirement. I then reach out to the local firm.

I refuse to work with overseas recruiters.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:26 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,774,904 times
The call you got for the personal information sounds like a potential scam. From my own experience when looking for work in the recent past, some Indian recruiters are usually trying to fill IT jobs and they don't do a good job at finding matches. Usually right after you post for a job online, they start calling you immediately. I would not give out any personal information to them. I would just politely tell them No if they call you.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:19 PM

530 posts, read 359,612 times
Never ever give out any personal info, it just is too risky!

Old 02-06-2015, 01:27 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,155,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenmcc View Post
Hello,

(The following will sound tongue-in-cheek, though I'm actually serious. I follow all of it.):

They are not all "scams," as in the jobs do exist (AFAIK), but they are definitely contingency-based recruiters. Look up that term, I'll not detail it here. They want your "resume" and "rate" to tighten their own business model and maximize margins to the point where it can split atoms. I think you can see why.

Do NOT aid and abet Third World business practices, unless it's between that and the bread line!

When they call:

- Imitate a chimp. Loudly. When they ask to repeat, hoot louder. Continue until they go away.

- When they email, send them photos of large reproductive organs, as PDF, each file labeled "resume" and "application for employment."

- And/or, threaten to report them. Use the following: "if you ever contact me again, you will be reported under CAN-SPAM Act of 2003. Specifically:

United States Code Title 47, Section 227(a)(2)(B) states that a computer, modem, and/or printer meets the definition of a telephone fax machine. Section 227(b)(1)(C) states that it is unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment. Section 227(b)(3)(C) states that a violation of the aforementioned Section is punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500, whichever is greater, for each violation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search