Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 01:28 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,922,155 times

Advertisements

i want to get a job at a healthcare facility doing IT WORK. most of my jobs have been tech support. the issue is i have no degree. i have 0 experience in the healthcare field other than majoring in biology. Please help me make my resume stand out. my goal is to relocate from minnesota to the east coast.

Career Focus- To obtain a position in Healthcare Information Technology that allows me to utilize my existing technical experience, to expand my IT skillset specific to the Healthcare field, and provide an opportunity for overall professional growth and advancement

Technical skills Windows Operating Systems and products, Hardware/Software, installation, Microsoft office and products, Sharepoint, firewall maintenance, and TCP/IP.

Non-technical skills I possess strong written and verbal communication skills, in addition to my technical proficiency. Given my years in Customer Service and related support roles, I am a problem solver who is able to quickly and concisely identify and resolve issues

Education
Hampton University- Hampton,Va 1994-1997 Hampton Va

Bachelor Behavioral Arts & Sciences
· Major Biology
· Bachelor of Arts Program
101 credits completed towards Bachelor’s degree in Biology

Work experience
Pearson Education – city,state 11/2006 – Present

Computer Technician/Support
  • Identify and resolve technical problems via phone or remote tools(Altiris, Go to Assist)
  • Maintain and support the Pearson Vue Testing System application
  • Computer installation and training
  • Client event technical support- Provided network, application support and customer service to the candidates attending this event
  • Active directory accounts
  • Windows 7 and Server 2008 troubleshooting
Computer Sciences Corporation Newark,De 04/2004 – 11/2006

• Monitor client WINTEL, UNIX ,Voice and Data services
  • Utilize CA Unicenter Service Desk (USD) and Remedy (ARS) ticketing system to escalate server events and track resolution
  • Perform system health checks.
  • Test client website availability.

Comcast Cable- New Castle, De 09/2001- 06/2003
Online Customer Account Executive

• Support all end-users in troubleshooting escalated Comcast high speed internet issues
  • Handled telephone and E-mail issues, covering full range of customer service issues (serviceability, sales, service and billing) while representing Comcast in a prompt and professional manner

cover letter below

Dear Hiring Manager
It was with great interest that I read your posting for a Learning Technology Systems Administrator. I currently work with Pearson vue which is a testing company. We delivery secure, high stakes admissions exams, certification and licensing exams for a number of organizations (universities, prisons, etc). Many of our clients include Comptia, Ged, Cisco, and NCLEX. I have been with Pearson Vue since 2006 in the technical support department. I have learned a lot from that position. Listening skills, effective communication, and the ability to think on my feet. I have knowledge on all of our testing clients. That means their rules and what they expect from us as a testing organization.. The following are highlights of my qualifications:

1) Having a keen attention to detail and strong organizational and priority setting skills

2) Written and verbal communication

3) Analytical and troubleshooting skills to identify current and potential issues

4) The ability to stay calm and let others follow my lead

Enclosed is a copy of my resume for your review. I would welcome a personal interview at your earliest convenience to discuss your objectives and needs and the possibility of working together to meet these goals. Thank you for your time and consideration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 06:48 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,105,242 times
Create a Career Summary at the top which will include of the things listed below which is a quick snap shot of your background.

1. Experience
2. Skills
3. Education
4. Accomplishments

Old 05-06-2015, 09:16 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,784,300 times
Add to your resume how it can translate to the healthcare field. Without seeing the job description, it's hard to make a recommendation. Look at the description and pull accomplishments from your background that match what they are looking for.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:52 PM

3,048 posts, read 5,010,778 times
I'm going to skip the cover letter and just go over your resume:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post

Career Focus- To obtain a position in Healthcare Information Technology that allows me to utilize my existing technical experience, to expand my IT skillset specific to the Healthcare field, and provide an opportunity for overall professional growth and advancement

This is all about you. What benefits do you bring to the potential employer?

Technical skills Windows Operating Systems and products, Hardware/Software, installation, Microsoft office and products, Sharepoint, firewall maintenance, and TCP/IP.

What are 'Windows Operating Systems and products'? Hardware/Software? Is that a skill? Is there anything that doesn't cover? Do you know everything? MS Office and products? What does 'and products' entail when you've already said MS Office? All firewall software? TCP/IP is not a skill. It's a set of protocols. This part should probably be a list of VERY specific skills

Non-technical skills I possess strong written and verbal communication skills, in addition to my technical proficiency. Given my years in Customer Service and related support roles, I am a problem solver who is able to quickly and concisely identify and resolve issues

Pointless.

Education
Hampton University- Hampton,Va 1994-1997 Hampton Va

Bachelor Behavioral Arts & Sciences
· Major Biology
· Bachelor of Arts Program
101 credits completed towards Bachelor’s degree in Biology

Does this mean no degree? In that case, I would leave it off. Or at least put it at the end.

Work experience

• Identify and resolve technical problems via phone or remote tools(Altiris, Go to Assist)
  • Maintain and support the Pearson Vue Testing System application
  • Computer installation and training
  • Client event technical support- Provided network, application support and customer service to the candidates attending this event
  • Active directory accounts
  • Windows 7 and Server 2008 troubleshooting

Computer Sciences Corporation Newark,De 04/2004 – 11/2006

• Monitor client WINTEL, UNIX ,Voice and Data services
  • Utilize CA Unicenter Service Desk (USD) and Remedy (ARS) ticketing system to escalate server events and track resolution
  • Perform system health checks.
  • Test client website availability.

Comcast Cable- New Castle, De 09/2001- 06/2003
Online Customer Account Executive

• Support all end-users in troubleshooting escalated Comcast high speed internet issues
  • Handled telephone and E-mail issues, covering full range of customer service issues (serviceability, sales, service and billing) while representing Comcast in a prompt and professional manner

All of this experience needs to sound better. What did you accomplish, preferably above and beyond the basics. Did you do anything unique that is not reflected in your job title?
You're essentially listing job duties which means you could just put down your title and be done with it. Bullet points like 'Active Directory Accounts' isn't an accomplishment, or even a job duty. Which sounds better: Active Directory Accounts; or Minimized loss of business continuity by maintaining AD accounts?

Old 05-07-2015, 05:36 AM

6,595 posts, read 11,320,034 times
Agree with Johnnytang on just about very point. Since you have no degree, you want to down play that. Either remove it, or if you feel that "some" is better than none, simply list it last. You want the hiring manager to see your best stuff first.

And your resume/experience doesn't say a whole lot about what you have to offer. You talk more about the job itself, rather than what YOU accomplished. Using your current job as an example, is should look more like (and I'm just doing this quickly):

Provide technical support and respond to helpdesk requests such as: hardware/software installation, network and application troubleshooting and maintenance, and training.
  • Accomplishment #1 (how often are tickets open. Obviously the shorter the better)
  • Accomplishment #2 (How many tickets do you handle by yourself on average)
  • Accomplishment #3 (do other tech in the group look to you for direction - if so, indicate that you train others).

The key is not to just list the job description. The hiring manager is going to know that already. The key is to show what you actually did. And how that makes you different.

Also - that first paragraph of your coverletter looks more like a sales pitch for Pearson. It's great that Pearson "delivers secure, high stakes admissions exams, certification and licensing exams for a number of organizations (universities, prisons, etc). Many of our clients include Comptia, Ged, Cisco, and NCLEX". But how does that relate to the position the hiring manager is looking to fill?

Finally - nix the career focus. Or reward it to make it a qualification summary. The hiring manager's main goal isn't to help you with your career. It's the other way around, you are pitching your skills to help them.

As for getting into health IT, you may need to take a less direct route. e.g. find a company that does IT, and has contracts in the Health IT space. This may be a federal contractor with HHS work. Since you did work for CSC before, you can see if you still have contacts and get back in (or similar places like SAIC/Lockheed/Booz, etc.).

The DC area is inundated with contractors. And with HHS/FDA/NIH/CMS all concentrated here, there are no shortages of opportunities. That said - the reality is that you have no degree. And that will limit you in the Federal space. For example - unless things have changed, Booz will not take anyone without a degree. Not to mention tech support is fairly low on the totem pole, this means that supply > demand. You just need to look for the right opportunity.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search