Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 10:36 AM

154 posts, read 257,536 times

Advertisements

Here is my situation. I was employed and a couple months ago I scheduled 3 weeks off work to go visit my girlfriend overseas so I can ask her to marry me. I bought the plane ticket and everything. Then I was laid off about a month ago. I work in a field where it is not too difficult to find another job. The only problem is finding a job that will allow me to take some unpaid time off at the end of September. I have a job interview today for a job I am really interested in. How should I bring this subject up with the potential employer? Should I tell them right away at the interview or wait until they offer me a job? If I bring it up at the interview when is the right time to mention it and how?

This trip is really important to me and I am willing to do what ever it takes to go even if it means taking lower paying temporary jobs until it is time to take my trip. I would however like to find an employer in my field that is willing to work with me on this as I need to start earning money as soon as possible because me and my girlfriend have a lengthy and expensive immigration process to go through. Not to mention the fact that I have to prove I make over a certain income for this year. I have no idea what to do here and would appreciate any advice anyone can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 10:42 AM

367 posts, read 458,227 times
There might be a perfectly good reason why not, but I have to ask: Why don't you go now instead of September?

I would personally not hire you if you told me this up front, and the later you get a job the more likely September becomes part of your probation period, depending on the specifics of the company. You are going to have to change your plans one way or the other.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica2099 View Post
There might be a perfectly good reason why not, but I have to ask: Why don't you go now instead of September?
There are a few reasons. First of all the plane ticket was a lot cheaper in September. Secondly my girlfriend finishes her job in September so we can spend more time together. Also right now I am collecting unemployment and am required to do a work search and I don't know how leaving the country might affect that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica2099 View Post
I would personally not hire you if you told me this up front, and the later you get a job the more likely September becomes part of your probation period, depending on the specifics of the company. You are going to have to change your plans one way or the other.
Unfortunately it will not be possible to change my plans. Like I said before worst case I may need to take some lower paying temporary jobs until I take my trip. I would like to still apply for jobs I am interested in in the hopes that maybe I will find an employer who understands my situation. Well see what happens. Any advice on when to bring this up to an employer would be appreciated.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:02 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,110 times
Bring it up if you get an offer. No sooner. 3 weeks ff is probably not going to fly, unfortunately.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Bring it up if you get an offer. No sooner. 3 weeks ff is probably not going to fly, unfortunately.
You think if I was made an offer then brought it up they might retract the offer? With the type of work I do I would expect to start a job within a week or 2 of recieving an offer. That gives them almost 5 months before I need the time off. I could maybe get it down to 2 weeks off too if I had to.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:11 PM

Well I had an interview today. Everything went well and I think I have a chance of getting the job. The topic of vacation time wasn't brought up so I didn't say anything. I will wait until they offer me a job. I might be able to get my trip down to 2 weeks instead of 3. Hopefully that will be acceptable to them because this is a good job I don't want to pass up.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:23 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Just tell them when offered the job that you have already purchased tickets, (I personally would explain why), and ASK - don't demand - if you could still have the time off UNPAID since it was already planned before you got the job. Most employers will agree to this if they can swing it.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:52 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
If an offer comes in, say you need this time off and it was scheduled before the job. Most places are reasonably accommodating of this

Old 05-15-2015, 11:04 PM

289 posts, read 504,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Just tell them when offered the job that you have already purchased tickets, (I personally would explain why), and ASK - don't demand - if you could still have the time off UNPAID since it was already planned before you got the job. Most employers will agree to this if they can swing it.
Yes, this is what you should do. I got hired at a job once and after the job offer we started discussing my start date. I told them I couldn't start the day they wanted me to because I had a previous engagement that was already planned and paid for, and they had no problem accommodating me on that. It may not be as big of a deal as you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search