Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 05:39 PM

126 posts, read 206,428 times

Advertisements

I just got out of my 4th interview with a company, so I am pretty excited about that. The company manufactures medical instruments and is doing very well.

I was told by couple of different people that in the past year, there have been 3 people working that same position and left within 1-4 months because they were overwhelmed.

Is that something for me to worry about? I find it hard to believe that 3 people would leave so fast, especially since it's hard to find a job nowadays.

sounds like there's some major drama going on but i could be wrong.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 06:23 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
I would see it as a major red flag! That is a lot of turnover. Did you ask why they were overwhelmed? Or get more details?

Old 05-14-2015, 06:29 PM

I was told the company hired fresh college graduates with 2 years experience who've not had as much training or real life job experience. I have tons of experience and worked in various companies in similar roles, so for me, I wouldn't say the job is easy, but i do think it's a job that entails doing several things at once (which I have experience in). Its just a matter of being organized and prioritizing and communicating with different departments.

I need a job BAD but i dont want to end up being employee number 4 that ends up leaving. ugh!

Old 05-14-2015, 07:23 PM

If you need a job badly, take the job but keep looking. See what happens, you may be completely fine and wonder what the hell was wrong with the other people!

Old 05-14-2015, 10:00 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
It is a huge red flag. Not insurmountable, but you really should try to determine why they left.

If it was because others were under qualified and you have more experience, it might be ok. If it is because the company treats employees terribly, then you will also not like the treatment. If it is because of evil coworkers, you will also most likely leave.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:56 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcitygirl84 View Post
I just got out of my 4th interview with a company, so I am pretty excited about that. The company manufactures medical instruments and is doing very well.

I was told by couple of different people that in the past year, there have been 3 people working that same position and left within 1-4 months because they were overwhelmed.

Is that something for me to worry about? I find it hard to believe that 3 people would leave so fast, especially since it's hard to find a job nowadays.

sounds like there's some major drama going on but i could be wrong.

Any thoughts?

Yes I would say it's a red flag because I would not want to be working with a bunch of people who are new. I prefer to work with people who been at the company for 5 or more years which is the case with my current situation. So I would be careful about accepting a job offer from a place that has a high turnover rate.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:46 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
... you may be completely fine and wonder what the hell was wrong with the other people!
I agree. The turnover of recent college grads is invariably high and I wouldn't dismiss the company or the position based solely on that. Good luck!

Old 05-15-2015, 05:54 AM

299 posts, read 350,605 times
It could be a red flag, or the candidates they hired were not a good fit.

I took a job 14 months ago where I was told had a high turnover, and that the person into whom this position reported could be difficult. What it amounted to was, yes, my boss does have very high standards and expectations, but the people they hired prior to me weren't qualified to do the job. They also had hired part-timers, but upon the advice of their CPA, they looked at relevant background, stability, work ethic, and transitioned the job to full-time. So far, so good. Yes, my boss is demanding, but my position requires juggling priorities and a lot of attention to detail which are no issue for me.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:31 AM

I agree with you all. I think this company hired underqualified new grads in the past. I do have the background and experience for this job so it's not an issue for me juggling tasks and doing different things all at once.

I'll just see what happens. I know that the company (9 people ive interviewed with) will be making their decision today, so I am keeping my fingers , toes and eyes crossed.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:33 AM

Good luck, I hope it works out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search