Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 09:40 AM

231 posts, read 784,961 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

So, about a month ago I relocated and started working at a new job. The job is fine, my boss likes me and I get along with my coworkers, it pays decently and 60% of the work is enjoyable, while 40% or so is humdrum and not very interesting to me. I took this new job because I needed to be paid better than the job I was at previously, and this was the best offer that came up, so I took it.

Then yesterday I saw an ad for my absolute dream job in a place I've always wanted to live and work. The job I have now is fine, I have no complaints, but I never saw myself staying there for more than a year or two at the maximum, while I could see myself happily living and working in the dream job for years and years, if I were to be accepted. The dream job would be doing precisely the kind of work I want to do, while the current job is a mixture of the work I enjoy and work I don't.

I was wondering, is it in bad taste to apply for the dream job so soon after starting this new job? Should I just ignore the dream job and continue for a while longer at my new job? Anyone have any experience with this kind of situation with advice about how to handle it?

I'm dying to apply to the dream job, if for no other reason than to not live with "what if," but I also don't want to jeopardize the current job if I weren't to be accepted at the dream job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 09:48 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,739,820 times
Go ahead and apply. The worst that can happen is you don't get it.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:53 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,124,133 times
Let's cross that bridge once you get here. Just apply for now.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:06 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,151,806 times
It can't hurt to apply. But I think the notion of a "dream job" is somewhat of a fantasy (it's a term I see here often). There's always going to be good and bad in any job. All you know now is that it's something you're highly interested in. There's a lot you don't know.

If you new employer paid your relocation and you leave this soon, you'll likely be required to repay them for those expenses.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:53 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,701,378 times
Apply! There is no reason the current employer needs to know that you apply to the 'dream job' and I sure wouldn't tell them UNTIL if and when you get the new job and give your notice. If you don't get it just carry on with your current job and employer knows nothing.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:24 PM

Thanks all! I will apply. I agree that there's a lot I don't know, and that if I get to an interview stage, I might find out the job really isn't for me, whether because it doesn't pay enough, the work environment is hostile or something. But I'd rather know than spend time wondering about it.

So do you think I should put my current job on my resume or not? I've been there now about 4 1/2 weeks. If I don't put the current job on the resume, it's possible the prospective employer could figure out that I work here anyway, and if I do put it on I'm afraid the prospective employer might just think I'm a flake. (Even though every job I've had previously I was at for at least a couple of years each)...opinions?

Old 05-17-2015, 12:51 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerK View Post
Thanks all! I will apply. I agree that there's a lot I don't know, and that if I get to an interview stage, I might find out the job really isn't for me, whether because it doesn't pay enough, the work environment is hostile or something. But I'd rather know than spend time wondering about it.

So do you think I should put my current job on my resume or not? I've been there now about 4 1/2 weeks. If I don't put the current job on the resume, it's possible the prospective employer could figure out that I work here anyway, and if I do put it on I'm afraid the prospective employer might just think I'm a flake. (Even though every job I've had previously I was at for at least a couple of years each)...opinions?
You may run into a problem if that company is not able to interview after business hours due to you being at your current job for a short period of time. So you can apply and see if they invite you for a interview and then you will find out if you can interview before or after work hours.

Old 05-17-2015, 01:04 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,690,222 times
Agree, apply! Never know till you try.

No, I wouldn't list the current job if you haven't been there very long. If you listed it, would look bad being so short a time.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:36 PM

I applied a couple of weeks ago!

I haven't heard anything, though the job ad did say "applications due by June 1, we'll notify finalists and start interviews shortly thereafter."

In this situation, would it be bad or good (or not matter) if I sent a follow up email asking if they received my materials and reiterating my interest in the position? Thoughts? Some people say doing so is a good thing because it shows initiative and desire for the job (while other applicants apparently don't care enough), while others say it makes the applicant seem irritating or desperate.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:32 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,537,898 times
Good that you applied, but I'd caution your optimism on it being your "dream" job, jobs change, and so do dreams... and so the grass isn't always greener, just something to consider when going into the interview, find out how they really operate and then decide if you want to give up current "content" job for it

it's the first day of the month... and you are going to bug them already? And for what? If they didn't get the materials by "due" date, they may not even want it now. If they don't care for it, then they'll ask for it at the interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search