Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 10:17 AM

212 posts, read 1,003,719 times

Advertisements

I recently had an experience where I interviewed in-person three separate times. I had great conversations with everyone I interviewed with and the HR recruiter told me I received great feedback and enthusiastically said they were going to follow up within the next few days. It's been three weeks and I've heard nothing despite following up twice.

It's so frustrating! If I didn't get the job or if the opening closed due to sudden budget shortages - why can't they just tell me? I'd rather know than be left wondering.

I've seen it be said many times on this forum to not dwell on a particular job and keep applying/interviewing elsewhere. That's exactly what I am doing. Still, I've experienced this more than once with companies and can't help but vent my frustrations. It's so unprofessional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 10:24 AM

406 posts, read 559,406 times
The hiring manager, team, coworkers, everyone else at the company may be all for communicating with you timely and may be just as frustrated as you are with the delay. Unfortunately, a crappy/lazy/busy HR person can halt the entire process.

For an example, my hiring manager gave the go-ahead to hire me a couple weeks before my references had been called or HR had contacted me. Why? HR lady in charge of my position went on vacation, came back, and lost my references. It wasn't until I called her directly to inquire and nag her that she got things moving.

2 weeks... no word... I call that day and all the sudden, my references are checked and my offer letter comes in right away.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:26 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
because most HR people I've met are lazy, classless, and inconsiderate.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:37 AM

850 posts, read 902,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post
I recently had an experience where I interviewed in-person three separate times. I had great conversations with everyone I interviewed with and the HR recruiter told me I received great feedback and enthusiastically said they were going to follow up within the next few days. It's been three weeks and I've heard nothing despite following up twice.

It's so frustrating! If I didn't get the job or if the opening closed due to sudden budget shortages - why can't they just tell me? I'd rather know than be left wondering.

I've seen it be said many times on this forum to not dwell on a particular job and keep applying/interviewing elsewhere. That's exactly what I am doing. Still, I've experienced this more than once with companies and can't help but vent my frustrations. It's so unprofessional.
Most companies will not call you back if they did not select you for the job especially if they interviewed a lot of candidates. I personally find it rude to not call someone back to explain what decision they made. They took you through 3 interviews and it would be more polite to call you back to say they went with someone else. Hiring managers and HR reps are very inconsiderate of people's time and think there is nothing wrong with refusing to call someone back. Also BTW, HR reps and hiring managers are very shallow and only pick people they like personally even though you might have perfect qualifications for the job. They judge candidates by their personality and unfortunately how they look more than their actual credentials; however, they will never tell you that. If you are an introvert, you don't fit the profile of the people that work at the organization, or don't get past their BS STAR behavioral questions they ask you get passed up. It sucks this is how companies hire now days.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:47 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post

Well you may have dodged a bullet. Rather than have you come in three separate times a group interview would have been better time wise for and for them.

This way everyone is meeting you at once, hearing the same thing, and sometimes if one person misses your response, someone else hasn't. More importantly you're not taking time off from work over and over pursuing the same position.

Than the fact that you didn't even get a reply back says a lot as well after you inquired.

Don't know if you're currently working or not, but you can only have so many Dr. appts before coworkers and your boss figure you're interviewing. To have to waste that time three different times for one company is annoying. Better to have three different interviews at three different places.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:49 AM

367 posts, read 458,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post
If you are an introvert, you don't fit the profile of the people that work at the organization, or don't get past their BS STAR behavioral questions they ask you get passed up. It sucks this is how companies hire now days.
Why should I hire someone who doesn't fit the profile of the people who work at the organization? As a chemist, you know the importance of putting things together that will go together; and how if something is not going to blend in, then the entire organization can be disrupted.

Assembling a workforce is no different.

Now as for the OP's dilemma: Wait until midweek to consider this one of those three weeks. You could have a very rude and inconsiderate hiring manager on your hands, and if this is the case be glad you didn't get the job. Although another possibility is that you are their second choice. Because no one wants to be told that they are a second choice, they are not telling you that. There may be a hangup with their first choice, perhaps on the background check, and they don't want to lose you. Three weeks, believe it or not, is not necessarily long enough to call it off.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:54 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica2099 View Post
Why should I hire someone who doesn't fit the profile of the people who work at the organization? As a chemist, you know the importance of putting things together that will go together; and how if something is not going to blend in, then the entire organization can be disrupted.
Because work is a place where people should be focusing on adding value to the company regardless of minor personality or cultural differences. The extreme shallowness and self absorption of many in corporate America is not something that should be condoned nor tolerated. You don't have to be drinking budies with someone to be able to work professionally with them unless you have the social maturity of an eighth grader.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:07 AM

367 posts, read 458,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Because work is a place where people should be focusing on adding value to the company regardless of minor personality or cultural differences. The extreme shallowness and self absorption of many in corporate America is not something that should be condoned nor tolerated. You don't have to be drinking budies with someone to be able to work professionally with them unless you have the social maturity of an eighth grader.
Minor personality differences or anything cultural is not at issue.
It's about the person being a fit in the organization, and that is important anywhere. You don't have to be drinking buddies with someone, but you need to be able to work with someone. If they seem as though they are the type where everything has to be their way, or if they probably only want the job for a limited time and are actually looking for something else; then they are not going to be able to work efficiently as a team. That's the social maturity of experience.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:23 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
Same reason why they feel its ok to operate with a burned out skeleton crew (which causes a drop in morale, quality of work, and high turnover etc) yet REFUSE to hire extra help and why they screw everyone over when it comes bonus time and run away with all the extra profit.

THey only care about themselves

Old 07-27-2015, 11:51 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Quote:
Let's look at it from the companies side.

The workforce is a team. If one person does not fit in, by being obnoxious, not willing to participate as a member of the team being antisocial, etc. etc., any company that hires this person is going to see the work product reduced to be about equal to what it would be if this position did not exist or worse. Why should any company want this obnoxious person poisoning the team with their attitude. So they only hire people that will fit into their company and office culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search