Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 10:05 AM

176 posts, read 189,593 times

Advertisements

I'd appreciate if anyone had a piece of advice on the following:

I had a surprise job interview today when the director of a company where I had left a CV phoned me at 10.15 am and asked me to go for an interview at 12.30 pm. The interview went well and she told me that she was going to take a decision for the right candidate at the weekend and that she'd phone me on Monday morning.

The problem is that on Monday morning at 10 I have another job interview somewhere else and I worry that she might phone again at around the same time like when she did for the interview and I'm not going to be able to answer the phone, which I think it looks terrible on the candidate and it might even mean that I could lose the job in case she'd want to offer it to me.

The interview for Monday was scheduled a few days ago and I think it's important to respect the day, but what should I do or say to the other director in case I miss her phone call and the conditions she offeres interest me more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 10:08 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
People understand that you may not always be able to answer your phone. Just go ahead with your other interview.

She probably will leave a message.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:14 AM

Thank you. I hope so! Thing is that she told me that that she'd phone on Monday morning and it would show interest on my part to pay attention to the phone and answer her call, but things are the way they are.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:22 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingStars View Post
I'd appreciate if anyone had a piece of advice on the following:

I had a surprise job interview today when the director of a company where I had left a CV phoned me at 10.15 am and asked me to go for an interview at 12.30 pm. The interview went well and she told me that she was going to take a decision for the right candidate at the weekend and that she'd phone me on Monday morning.

The problem is that on Monday morning at 10 I have another job interview somewhere else and I worry that she might phone again at around the same time like when she did for the interview and I'm not going to be able to answer the phone, which I think it looks terrible on the candidate and it might even mean that I could lose the job in case she'd want to offer it to me.

The interview for Monday was scheduled a few days ago and I think it's important to respect the day, but what should I do or say to the other director in case I miss her phone call and the conditions she offeres interest me more?
You are not put your life on hold because somebody said that she will maybe make a decision and call. People are going to rest rooms, people are going to the beach, people are going for hikes in areas without phones, people are going to interviews.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:26 AM

Thank you. You're right. I should relax a bit.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:36 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Yes definitely relax. You are way overthinking it.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:14 PM

Thank you. I've recently moved to a different part of the country and haven't been in the situation of looking for a new job for a few years. I forgot that it can be a bit of a stressing experience, but I'll try to be more relaxed. She seemed like a nice and intelligent person, good heart too, so there's no reason for me to think that she would be put off completely by someone not answering the phone right way. If she calls me...:-)

Old 08-21-2015, 02:22 PM

780 posts, read 678,715 times
You can be sitting on your phone the entire morning and for that one moment you need to go to the bathroom, she calls, then what?

She will leave you a voice mail. You'll be fine.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:00 PM

I can't believe I got all stressed out because of this. Thank you.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:55 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwalas View Post
You can be sitting on your phone the entire morning and for that one moment you need to go to the bathroom, she calls, then what?

Hold it in until your spleen ruptures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search