Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 03:23 AM

27 posts, read 21,540 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. I've been working in a supermarket as a courtesy clerk/bagger for close to ten months now. I've been a good employee, always trying to learn from my mistakes. I am very rarely late and have not once missed a day or called out sick. I come in early every time I'm asked and cover for other people when they can't come in. Recently, a bagger was scheduled to work the opening shift on Saturday and Sunday (6 am to 2 pm), but on Saturday he was a no-show and didn't bother calling in to say he couldn't make it. They called me in to cover his shift until the next bagger was scheduled to come in. The following day, I was told by one of the managers that this particular bagger came in late. I made sure both of the managers who were in at the time were aware of what was going on. One manager said the bagger would probably be written up. What are his chances of being fired? He's been there at least a year, how long he's been there I don't know, but the managers typically treated him respectfully and he's been given good hours. He trains any of the new baggers in doing the closing shift, so the managers obviously have relied on him. I hate working with this guy, he's one of the laziest baggers around so anytime I share a shift with him I have to compensate for his shortcomings. I want him gone, and more importantly, I want more hours and he currently gets close to forty. I told one particular manager that I am available for more hours if the other bagger isn't working out for them, and I'm anxiously waiting to see what happens. I want to know that they punish misconduct and reward hard work, otherwise there is little point in me sticking around. Sorry for the pointless topic, I kinda wanted to vent and I didn't know where else I could share this.

I assume he wouldn't be fired immediately (assuming he's fired at all), because then there wouldn't be enough baggers without him. I'm just kinda hoping to see his hours reduced on next week's schedule. I've heard of employers firing employees for being late one time (not talking about my employer, mind you), so I'm thinking they should realistically fire him.

Last edited by KingofWisdom; 10-20-2015 at 03:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 05:13 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
Let me make sure I understand this. The bagger was late, a manager knew he was late, and you felt it was your responsibility to let other managers know the other bagger was late? As a manager, I hate people like this.

The chances of this guy getting fired are from 0-100%, depending on unknown variables. Whether you think the guy should be fired or not does not matter.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
As a manager, I hate people like this.
Good for you. What am I going to do, wait for the managers to have a discussion about this bagger? What if it doesn't happen? Why shouldn't I share this information with them? If an employee is messing up, you don't want to know? I'm not going to get more hours if they don't decrease his hours, so it's in my best interest to make sure the managers are aware of this worker's shortcomings. You gotta know how to play the workplace politics or you get screwed.

I have a question, though. Are all managers condescending A-holes, or is it just you?

Last edited by KingofWisdom; 10-20-2015 at 05:45 AM..

Old 10-20-2015, 05:54 AM

473 posts, read 543,879 times
So because you don't like the guy you made sure all the managers knew about his situation ?

You are actually the kind of person managers hate, the tattletale.

You need to focus less on what everyone else is doing and worry more about yourself and your job performance.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:59 AM

How do bad employees get fired if everyone is afraid of "tattling"? Seriously, guys, think for a second before you post.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:09 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofWisdom View Post
How do bad employees get fired if everyone is afraid of "tattling"? Seriously, guys, think for a second before you post.
People get fired when managers do their jobs. You need to let them.

Did the other managers ask where Joe was? If not, and you went to them to breathlessly let them know then, yes, you tattled.

It sounds as if the management has a level of trust in Joe and will probably let him slide with a write up, if that. You will not reach that level of trust by running to them and complaining.

Instead of the managers discussing Joe they were likely discussing you.

Is it fair? Probably not. So what?

Are you unionized?

Old 10-20-2015, 06:18 AM

Managers can't watch their employees 24/7. Why shouldn't they be told if an employee is screwing up? I'm not demanding to them that they fire anybody. I'm giving them info and they can do whatever they want with it. If these managers truly have faith in a flaky guy like this, then I honestly don't care if I came off badly. You don't reward mediocrity.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:23 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofWisdom View Post
Managers can't watch their employees 24/7. Why shouldn't they be told if an employee is screwing up? I'm not demanding to them that they fire anybody. I'm giving them info and they can do whatever they want with it.
If it's a safety issue then yes you let management know. Most other things it's better to let them ask you. Such as the example I used. Managers aren't as obtuse as you think and were likely fully aware Joe wasn't there.

What you did was draw attention to yourself as a nebbish. If management trusts Joe as much as you indicate then one of them likely let him know what you did. If you think work is unpleasant now you ain't seen nuthin' yet.

If you don't understand that yet you need to change your Forum name.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:24 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,201,145 times
You sound kinda young and inexperienced. The working world doesn't work the way you seem to think it does (based on your responses in your posts here).

You can certainly let the managers know that you want more hours. Your eagerness to perform your job well will also be noticed.

However, saying negative things to the managers about your co-workers reflects really poorly on you.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:26 AM

Sometimes I think I'm the only sane person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search