Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 09:11 PM

6 posts, read 5,802 times

Advertisements

Dear all,

I HAVE LEARNED MY LESSON so please do not make me feel bad anymore instead help me feel better or help me understand what I should do next? I interviewed with this company beginning of this year, after going through 6 interviews I was competing with 1 other person. At that time the other person got the job but the company did call me and told me that since I was very close, smart, etc we will keep you on file.

The same company called me like a month ago for the SAME position because the other guy had left (I am still wondering why would that person leave in just 6 months or so) but anyhow they called me and told me that I will only need to do one final round. So I did interview and I got the job and signed the CONTRACT and I start in 2 weeks from now. I lied to them about my salary. I only make 50K right now but I told them I make $58K so they ended up offering me $65K. I am underpaid at my current job and I am too naive.. I had no idea how to negotiate HONESTLY. So here is the problem now, the background check process has been started and they emailed me asking for my pay stub to speed up the process which I did send them. And now I have been nervous because they will find out that I only make $50K and not $58K. And I have already given my notice at this company and this Friday will be my last day there. and then I have a week long break before I start this new job.

I am so nervous now and I am not sure how these 2 LONG weeks will pass. What would i do if they get back to me and tell me that I lied, etc. What should I do at that point? Please help me. I know I messed up, I regret it, but if they take the offer back then I WILL HAVE NOOOO JOB.. I am single and have no financial support so I am really worried. any ideas?

Thanks a lot

Last edited by pk7777; 10-17-2015 at 09:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 09:19 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,057,090 times
You're fine. This is not a big deal.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:29 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
I do think that their reason for asking for the pay stub is a bit ... unusual.

It's not a great place to be. But what you need to do now, if they do ask about it, is come up with an explanation for the shortage that includes bonuses, etc.

You've learned the hard way. Now you know.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:06 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
You can easily photoshop a paystub if they demand one and I endorse doing it for any company obnoxious enough to bully and demand salary history to lowball their offers. Otherwise a classic explanation is that you got a bonus of 15% or whatever or you listed the value of benefits.

edit: nevermind you already gave them the stub. Just do what I said and say you got a bonus not reflected on the paystub but most likely they won't flinch over $8k

Old 10-18-2015, 11:15 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,944,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pk7777 View Post
Dear all,

I HAVE LEARNED MY LESSON so please do not make me feel bad anymore instead help me feel better or help me understand what I should do next? I interviewed with this company beginning of this year, after going through 6 interviews I was competing with 1 other person. At that time the other person got the job but the company did call me and told me that since I was very close, smart, etc we will keep you on file.

The same company called me like a month ago for the SAME position because the other guy had left (I am still wondering why would that person leave in just 6 months or so) but anyhow they called me and told me that I will only need to do one final round. So I did interview and I got the job and signed the CONTRACT and I start in 2 weeks from now. I lied to them about my salary. I only make 50K right now but I told them I make $58K so they ended up offering me $65K. I am underpaid at my current job and I am too naive.. I had no idea how to negotiate HONESTLY. So here is the problem now, the background check process has been started and they emailed me asking for my pay stub to speed up the process which I did send them. And now I have been nervous because they will find out that I only make $50K and not $58K. And I have already given my notice at this company and this Friday will be my last day there. and then I have a week long break before I start this new job.

I am so nervous now and I am not sure how these 2 LONG weeks will pass. What would i do if they get back to me and tell me that I lied, etc. What should I do at that point? Please help me. I know I messed up, I regret it, but if they take the offer back then I WILL HAVE NOOOO JOB.. I am single and have no financial support so I am really worried. any ideas?

Thanks a lot
first; always tell companies that you will not give notice to your current employer until all background checks are clear. Second, the whole salary thing is a game. I seriously don't think they're going to care. IF it comes up just say that you are being paid under market at your employer and you should have been int that range; and didn't want to be stuck in another under paid job where you may eventually have to leave as you really wanted to work for them.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:07 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Do not compound it with another cover story, which will always be a lie. You opened negotiations with what you thought you were worth.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:13 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,357,689 times
Photoshop the pay stub. You could also just say that your stated pay included year end bonus which your pay stub didn't. I've lied on most salaried jobs i've applied for and never got caught. I plan on lying about my pay for my next job also.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:14 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,944,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Photoshop the pay stub. You could also just say that your stated pay included year end bonus which your pay stub didn't.
the OP has already provided the pay stubs

Old 10-18-2015, 02:34 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,357,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
the OP has already provided the pay stubs
Then just say that year end bonus was not included. Done.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:18 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
You can easily photoshop a paystub if they demand one and I endorse doing it for any company obnoxious enough to bully and demand salary history to lowball their offers. Otherwise a classic explanation is that you got a bonus of 15% or whatever or you listed the value of benefits.

edit: nevermind you already gave them the stub. Just do what I said and say you got a bonus not reflected on the paystub but most likely they won't flinch over $8k
It's fine that you endorse it. We all have our perspectives on how things "should" be. But at the end of the day, that's not really going to help the OP (or anyone asking for similar advice) keep their job, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Then just say that year end bonus was not included. Done.
Which is fine - if they leave it at that. But what happens when they follow-up and ask to see documentation (e.g. W2)? I'm in the camp that it's really none of the employer's business how much I made in a previous job. But if that is the case, maintain that stance from the beginning. I think the issue here is that the OP went down that road under false pretenses.

Unfortunately for the OP, it's out of their control now. If anything, they may want to start looking at contingency plans - either find a way to stay at current job, and/or restart the job hunting process. Best case scenario, your contingency plans won't be needed. Worst case - you're just a bit better off than not have done anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search