Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 12:49 PM

32 posts, read 36,594 times

Advertisements

Two pages in just a few hours? Wow.

Interesting several people suggested the military, then others went against it. Because I saw that answer on several other "I'm ridiculously old and never worked" threads...I do wonder if that's an option. Or if it's worth it. Something tells me I wouldn't be able to even pass the physical. (by the way, what's ELS paperwork?)

Regarding welfare, I live in upstate New York, and as a recipient, I'm actually required to attend classes for "job search and readiness". It starts to seem like a waste of time, since it's just so much work that only yields dead ends. Yes, I've applied with help wanted signs - I've been doing this for a few years now and can't get anything. It isn't that I don't want to work - I do - no one will freaking take me. I apply and everyone says no.

I've tried things like advertising services (cleaning, yardwork) on Craigslist. No one answers. And transport is a problem. I've tried local businesses, I've tried places too far away. I've tried places with a commute. I'm getting worried about what I'm doing wrong.

Trust me, I'd love to get off my butt and be doing something self-sufficient and productive. Even if it doesn't make me happy, I keep thinking it will at least force a little structure and room to figure out where to go in my life.

To the person who said that no one cares about your mental issues: no one I work with ever knows about my psych issues. People on other internet forums (one dedicated to mental health) know, some online friends know....but I would never tell a potential employer about it. That's ridiculously unprofessional and yes, an employer doesn't care. And it isn't relevant to work anyway. I'm only excessively open online, where people can choose to care or not and for how long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 01:29 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,683,144 times
You need mental help, and no no you are not the most despicable person ever. You know you have a problem, which is the first step. You need to take the other steps.
You are not a bad and broken person, your life is not hopeless.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:48 PM

121 posts, read 74,744 times
I have bipolar. So I can relate to your emotional issues. I can see that you are in a really difficult spot.

21 is young, first of all! Realize that you are just starting out and that is hard for everybody at that age, however, the emotional issues don't help.

I think your first priority should be getting therapy and/ or medication. I sense (maybe I am wrong) that you have some things you need to work through, regarding your family and your relationship with your mom. If you are depressed and ill, you can't work. I KNOW. Health comes first.

How to afford therapy on a limited income is not something I have experience with, so you'll have to ask someone.

From an outside perspective, this is what I'd do if I were you:

1. Call a (good) therapist and ask how you can receive services with your current income.
2. See if there is a free career counseling service near you. Oftentimes, community colleges or vocational schools offer them. They can help guide you in your search for a job.
3. Call a local mental health organization or hospital and inquire about how to find a job in the condition you're in.

My heart goes out to you because I was in a similar situation in my 20s. Looking back, it was an exciting time, full of opportunity. You just don't realize that until later

Old 03-29-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
You need mental help, and no no you are not the most despicable person ever. You know you have a problem, which is the first step. You need to take the other steps.
You are not a bad and broken person, your life is not hopeless.
Literally just spent the last 45 minutes reading about how no one cares about your problems, or only pretends to, or does so to lift themselves up and laugh at you. You're not special and neither are your problems so stop complaining and do something about it etc, etc. With the way my mind goes, the ways I interact with people in a social manner, it's not worth it. Yes, it is hopeless. There's worth living for in a purely selfish world like that, certainly no point in seeking "help" that's fake anyway. But I'd still like to see if I could try to do something to eke out an existence, or else just give up.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:02 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,767,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScientiaOmnisEst View Post
Literally just spent the last 45 minutes reading about how no one cares about your problems, or only pretends to, or does so to lift themselves up and laugh at you. You're not special and neither are your problems so stop complaining and do something about it etc, etc. With the way my mind goes, the ways I interact with people in a social manner, it's not worth it. Yes, it is hopeless. There's worth living for in a purely selfish world like that, certainly no point in seeking "help" that's fake anyway. But I'd still like to see if I could try to do something to eke out an existence, or else just give up.
Listen, you are not worthless. You just need a steer in the right direction.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:06 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,694,225 times
Wow, for someone so supposedly uneducated and hopeless, you somehow mastered the art of the five-paragraph essay (which is a favorite of brand new posters, for some very odd reason )

Old 03-29-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Wow, for someone so supposedly uneducated and hopeless, you somehow mastered the art of the five-paragraph essay (which is a favorite of brand new posters, for some very odd reason )
Haha, not sure what that's supposed to mean. I never meant to write it like that.

Writing always comes easy to me...especially when it's about my life and thoughts, self-centered as it is. I really did drop out of college though. I have 20-something credits. Writing isn't hard, though.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:20 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,495,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Don't feed the . . .
Absolutely right.

Welfare? Only someone who knows nothing about it would claim to be 21 and on welfare. That's for young unmarried women with illegitimate children. No children were mentioned.

Anybody else would be laughed right out of the Welfare office!

Old 03-29-2016, 02:32 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,604,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Absolutely right.

Welfare? Only someone who knows nothing about it would claim to be 21 and on welfare. That's for young unmarried women with illegitimate children. No children were mentioned.

Do Americans not receive unemployment benefit? Or are unmarried single women with children the only people eligible for government assistance?

To the OP - few people choose unemployment as a lifestyle. In the UK, you get a very small amount to live on - just enough to buy food, and even then it's a struggle. I have no doubt in my mind that you're very unhappy with your current situation and want to find a job. It's hard, when you have been unemployed for a certain amount of time - and it's easy to give up after a while, because you feel like no matter what you do, it's just not effective. But you'll find something eventually. You're only 21 and you have many, many years of working ahead of you.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:33 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,780,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Absolutely right.

What state/country gives "welfare" to an able bodied, childless, unemployed, not in school, 21 year old and does so for 2 years?

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 03-29-2016 at 02:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search