Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2016, 08:32 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,726 times

Advertisements

I'll be making the big move to the Los Angeles area later this year. I'm starting my job search now and I want to pursue as many avenues as possible. Does anyone have any recommendations for a recruiter or head hunter in the LA area that I can reach out to? If you have had success with a particular organization or person, and you don't want to publish their name here, please PM me. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 08:16 AM

856 posts, read 1,052,689 times
Exclamation Recruiters/Headhunters in L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
I'll be making the big move to the Los Angeles area later this year. I'm starting my job search now and I want to pursue as many avenues as possible. Does anyone have any recommendations for a recruiter or head hunter in the LA area that I can reach out to? If you have had success with a particular organization or person, and you don't want to publish their name here, please PM me. Thanks!
You need to say what your profession is, your title, how many years of experience you have and an approximate salary (base).

Paul.........

Last edited by HeadhunterPaul; 03-29-2016 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: text edit

Old 03-29-2016, 09:12 AM

856 posts, read 1,052,689 times
Exclamation Recruiters/Headhunters in L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
I forgot to mention something important and there is an additional thought for either you or those reading this thread....

1. It is a common error to believe you need a recruiter/HH who is residing/has offices in your city/state of interest.

Many/most recruiters/HH specialize and as such, they recruit nationally. It is not necessary for me to be in Florida to recruit from or for Florida employers and/or know Florida 'high value' professionals in my specialty niche.

For regional recruiters/HH's, they know their region well- all the relevant employers who hire their specialty recruits and they know most/all those who work in that recruiter's/HH's specialty area.

So a nurse recruiter who specializes in their region, Los Angeles, for example, will know most all the nurses at all the hospitals in L.A. and will know all the DON who do the hiring at all the hospitals in L.A.

2. This is not personal when I say this:

It does not speak well for you that you do not already have a recruiter/HH in your back pocket. This is because those who are considered 'high value' within their industry, almost always have recruiters/HH's who have been wanting to recruit that person to their clients.

In other words, over the years, 'high value' professionals have recruiters/HH's who are calling on them regularly (not necessarily every week so much as every few/several months), staying in touch, keeping track of that professional's growth in his/her company so they can be ready and up to date on that professional's career progress when that professional either decides to look around for new employment or finally agrees to go on an interview arranged by one or more of those recruiters/HH's who have been staying in touch with them over the years.

So, a 'happening' professional will have a Rolodex of recruiters/HH's who have been staying in touch with that person and already knows which recruiters/HH's have the right jobs and understands that professional's credentials/area of expertise.

That you don't seem to have any such person is not a good sign. It suggests no recruiters/HH's have been chasing you, endeavoring to get you to go out on interviews. IOW, you do not, it appears, to have 'high value' credentials that would warrant an employer being willing to pay a recruitment fee to hire you.

From time to time I've been offered someone's credentials (to represent them to industry, get them hired and earn my recruitment fee) and I always ask if that professional already has headhunters trying to get them hired by one of those recruiters'/HH's clients.

If the reply is 'no', then I am usually not interested since if my competitors are not interested in that person, there is usually no reason I should be.

This is not a hard and fast rule! You can be a 'high value' professional no one seems to know about but once a 'high value' professional has about five plus years of experience, there is something wrong if no recruiters/HH's have been trying to recruit that person. The only explanation in such a case is if that person is buried deep within their organization or is one of many in their department in which case, the recruiters/HH's who specialize in that person's industry have simply not discovered that person's existence, yet. IOW, not all super stars are high profile and subject to being noticed by recruiters/HH's.

But as a rule of thumb, my antennae always asks why you have not been recruited already by my competitors.

Paul...........

Old 03-31-2016, 07:50 PM

137 posts, read 199,745 times
You can also reach out to local recruiters/ HH who have a national reach. The benefit of taking this path, is that you get to meet them in person, share your objectives and explain your plan. This way, they know exactly what your goals, time frame and goals are.

If you don't have a high profile or targeted position, let them know what you're open to pursuing. I would imagine you want to continue in a similar career role as your current position.

You can search online for recruiters/HH that specialize in your niche. For example, if you work in Insurance, perform an online search for Insurance recruiter in Ann Arbor, MI. Once you make contact, find out if they have access to positions nationwide. If yes, proceed to set up an appointment or phone call.

I hope this helps & good luck.

I grew up in L.A. until my family moved to CT at the end of my high school career. I wish you the very best!

Old 04-01-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaj7 View Post
You can also reach out to local recruiters/ HH who have a national reach. The benefit of taking this path, is that you get to meet them in person, share your objectives and explain your plan. This way, they know exactly what your goals, time frame and goals are.

If you don't have a high profile or targeted position, let them know what you're open to pursuing. I would imagine you want to continue in a similar career role as your current position.

You can search online for recruiters/HH that specialize in your niche. For example, if you work in Insurance, perform an online search for Insurance recruiter in Ann Arbor, MI. Once you make contact, find out if they have access to positions nationwide. If yes, proceed to set up an appointment or phone call.

I hope this helps & good luck.

I grew up in L.A. until my family moved to CT at the end of my high school career. I wish you the very best!
Thank you for your helpful and positive response. As a matter of fact, I am switching gears with my career and I want to work in corporate communications - I received my MA in Communications a little while ago. I'll use your suggestions.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:47 PM

137 posts, read 199,745 times
NICE & CONGRATS! Sounds like you're already on a good path. You could do a lot with corporate communications If any of your skills from your existing (soon to be old position) are transferable to CC be sure to highlight those.

You're gonna love Cali. HUGE difference of course from MI.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaj7 View Post
NICE & CONGRATS! Sounds like you're already on a good path. You could do a lot with corporate communications If any of your skills from your existing (soon to be old position) are transferable to CC be sure to highlight those.

You're gonna love Cali. HUGE difference of course from MI.
My communication experience has been mostly developed from several of my social media community management and audience engagement work over the past decade. To market myself more professionally, I obtained my MA in Communication so I can get a "real job" in my passion of communications. Especially in making this big move to So Cal, I definitely needed to make myself as strong and marketable as possible.

On a vacation to LA in late 2010, I knew I was going to move to LA to be happy. I then decided to go to back school, and get a few financial ducks in order, and I'm on target to move later this year.

Thanks!

Old 04-03-2016, 01:42 PM

3 posts, read 1,701 times
Smile A little help people :)

Hey People

Hope all is well. I am currently looking to try and move to LA from Scotland for a whole new chapter in my life. After losing my best friend and breaking up with my wife its time to do what I want to do.

I was in LA last year on holiday and loved every second. The best city in the world in my opinion.

I know sponsors are very very unlikely so looking for another way in. I currently work offshore globally but mainly in the North Sea. I am Qualified Rope Access Rigger with Non Destructive Testing qualifications also.

Any advice or info would be a great help very much appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you
Andrew
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search