Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 04:09 PM

3 posts, read 5,397 times

Advertisements

I am at my wits end. This is not how I imagined life in my 40's after obtaining a Master's degree! In 2004 I got laid off due to down sizing the and the very next day I landed a job!

In 2012 I got laid off, it took me a year to land an underpaid part-time job and I am still there! I have literally applied to hundreds of places. And I do mean hundreds. I am so frustrated.

I would go back to school, but I can't afford it. I have depleted my savings, depleted my 401k & and am broker than I was 20 yrs ago!.

The last few jobs I applied for I thought were in the bag. I passed my test and made it through a phone interview and to a two panel interview. The last interview, I had to submit a 5 page Q&A, do a phone interview, 3 in person interviews, each with more people and I had to meet the staff. That was the last I heard about that.

I really don't know what to do at this point and I am so frustrated!

Whew! That's said....suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 04:13 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,619,738 times
Teach for America is hiring. Not the easiest or most glorifying job. But it is a job. And they could use the help.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:14 PM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times
Masters degree in what?

Old 04-05-2016, 04:14 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
I find it odd that you mention your master degree like it's such a big deal, but you don't even say what it is! Do you think all degrees are created equal? How can anyone advise you when you give no detail at all about either your education OR your work history. I guess you really aren't qualified for anything....oh, and this is your first post, and positively breathless with exclamation points.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:25 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Interesting first post.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:45 PM

Default Well

Its Psychology - I know useless degree. That's why I didn't mention it.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:47 PM

Default Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I find it odd that you mention your master degree like it's such a big deal, but you don't even say what it is! Do you think all degrees are created equal? How can anyone advise you when you give no detail at all about either your education OR your work history. I guess you really aren't qualified for anything....oh, and this is your first post, and positively breathless with exclamation points.

Thanks for the encouraging post. It was just what I needed!

Old 04-05-2016, 08:15 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,619,738 times
Could also try teaching psychology or general education courses at the community college level.

Masters required.

Sometimes the require teaching experience.

Sometimes they don't.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:20 PM

12,776 posts, read 14,987,827 times
Yes, psychology is rough unless you go all the way to being a psychologist. Just out of curiosity, what was your career goal that you aspired to be? I have an undergrad in Behavioral Sci, which is as useless as a psych degree. Back then, I had maybe wanted to be a child or school psychologist. I then went on to earn a MA in special ed & just recently got an MS in communication disorders.

Well, have you thought about being a School Psychologist? In the meantime, you can right now be a substitute teacher without needing any more schooling, credentials, etc. & it pays about $100/day, give or take each district. But subs don't get benefits.

Otherwise, you could be a teacher if you go back to school & earn a teaching credential, which shouldn't take too much longer. With a Masters, the starting 1st year teacher pay will be at least $50K & it will only go up from there.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:01 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTA2016 View Post
I am at my wits end. This is not how I imagined life in my 40's after obtaining a Master's degree! In 2004 I got laid off due to down sizing the and the very next day I landed a job!

In 2012 I got laid off, it took me a year to land an underpaid part-time job and I am still there! I have literally applied to hundreds of places. And I do mean hundreds. I am so frustrated.

I would go back to school, but I can't afford it. I have depleted my savings, depleted my 401k & and am broker than I was 20 yrs ago!.

The last few jobs I applied for I thought were in the bag. I passed my test and made it through a phone interview and to a two panel interview. The last interview, I had to submit a 5 page Q&A, do a phone interview, 3 in person interviews, each with more people and I had to meet the staff. That was the last I heard about that.

I really don't know what to do at this point and I am so frustrated!

Whew! That's said....suggestions?

At the same time you're indicating your masters is worthless, you say you'd go back to school if you could afford it.

For what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search