Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 09:03 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,611,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I don't fault OP one bit for aiming high. I only wish I'd negotiated a bit more with my current job as the raises have been paltry, even for a highly ranked/scored employee such as myself. Now is the time to negotiate salary, once you start it becomes more difficult to argue for a raise if they've already got you in-house.

Curious to hear how this turns out.....
It's not impossible to do this. I've received glowing reviews since I started, but I know I lowballed myself when I started with the company. Primarily because at the time jobs were scarce, and most companies were not paying as much.

My last review they offered me a 4% raise. I countered with a 7% raise noting that the previous person was making equivalent to 15% more than I was and yet that person didn't do very well from what I understood. I had also added that I lowballed myself when I started. I ended up getting a 12% raise. So you can counter your raises, you just have to be careful how you word it.

As for the OP, I'm not sure if I would have countered so high, I might have countered with 85 with a chance to go to 90 if I prove myself. I agree with the others that you should have excused yourself from the meeting, or let the people in the meeting know you have an important call around 10 and will have to step out.

They may be calling to counter your counter and meet in the middle. If they weren't at all interested, they probably would not have even called back unless it was to say sorry we're going to go with someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 09:09 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I was fired after accepting a counteroffer from an employer.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:14 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
Guys, it is not a big deal. Everyone is busy and phone tags are ok. All that OP needs to do is call them during their business hours and continue the conversation forward. Negotiations can go on for weeks in many cases. A day is not going to make any difference.
Negotiations for a $70-90K job is not going to drag on for weeks, especially after the OP already accepted the lower offer. I would expect management to be calling to explain they can't go any higher than what the OP agreed on, and wants to know the OPs start date.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:19 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
It's not impossible to do this. I've received glowing reviews since I started, but I know I lowballed myself when I started with the company. Primarily because at the time jobs were scarce, and most companies were not paying as much.

My last review they offered me a 4% raise. I countered with a 7% raise noting that the previous person was making equivalent to 15% more than I was and yet that person didn't do very well from what I understood. I had also added that I lowballed myself when I started. I ended up getting a 12% raise. So you can counter your raises, you just have to be careful how you word it.

As for the OP, I'm not sure if I would have countered so high, I might have countered with 85 with a chance to go to 90 if I prove myself. I agree with the others that you should have excused yourself from the meeting, or let the people in the meeting know you have an important call around 10 and will have to step out.

They may be calling to counter your counter and meet in the middle. If they weren't at all interested, they probably would not have even called back unless it was to say sorry we're going to go with someone else.
There is nothing wrong with having a negotiation for a higher starting salary or a raise, but doing so after you accepted isn't the best way to do it. It makes you look like you don't think things through and don't know what you're doing. It would be like someone agreeing to paint your house for $4K and then when they show up to do the job, they tell you it is going to be $5K because they have since realized that was the going rate in the neighborhood. That's not the time to have a negotiation.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:53 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Negotiations for a $70-90K job is not going to drag on for weeks, especially after the OP already accepted the lower offer. I would expect management to be calling to explain they can't go any higher than what the OP agreed on, and wants to know the OPs start date.
Bureaucracy and time zone differences could stretch seemingly simple processes to weeks.

OP has the right to negotiate until the offer has been signed and accepted - for the simple reason that the employer can rescind the offer at anytime. I agree that OP should have done his homework sooner, but never too late. OP - go for it and good luck!

Old 04-21-2016, 10:21 AM

927 posts, read 2,467,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
OP, did you verbally accept the $75K offer before then submitting a new salary request via email?
I never verbally accepted the offer. They gave me an idea of what the offer would be two weeks ago and I reminded them of the assets I bring to the table. Once they gave me the official offer over the phone a week a later, I asked to see it in writing and asked to see more details of the commission structure. I never verbally said, "yes, that is acceptable to me."

Furthermore, i asked for a significantly larger counter, hoping we could meet in the middle, around $85k. Agreed $92k was a stretch, but I didn't want to under value myself. I do want the job, but frankly, it pays almost exactly the same as what I make now, I'm trying to get a raise out of the move, too.

I'm in LA and they are in London, it's a 8 hour time difference.

Agreed with everyone else, i should've made up an excuse to answer the call the second time. To be fair, I asked to be called at 10am and they called at 10:12am.

I'll keep you all posted on how it turns out.

Last edited by yoyoma02; 04-21-2016 at 10:32 AM..

Old 04-21-2016, 10:48 AM

5,133 posts, read 4,486,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
To be fair, I asked to be called at 10am and they called at 10:12am.
You don't get it, do you? They did nothing wrong.

You were entirely wrong for not being available to take their call.

People often call a few minutes past the scheduled time to give you some slack in case you are a little behind schedule. This is pretty standard. In any case, even if they had called you at 10 on the dot, you would have still missed the call because you were still at the meeting.

You are shifting the blame for your mistake onto the other party.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:55 AM

973 posts, read 915,539 times
Ooooh, I would jump at the chance to work in London. LA is so boring. Good luck

Old 04-21-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
Ooooh, I would jump at the chance to work in London. LA is so boring. Good luck
It's a work remotely position, so I'd still be in LA. However, I would get to go to London a few times a year, which would be cool.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:12 AM

UPDATE:

They called again, unannounced. I literally jumped off the currently call I was on in order to take their call this time.

As I expected, they met me in the the middle at $85k base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search