Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 06:56 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times

Advertisements

In an interview that required working with a diverse population, I was asked how I would handle being hit on by a large black man.

The interviewer was a large black man. And I don't know if it makes it better or worse, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't hitting on me and actually thought that was an appropriate interview question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 08:51 PM

138 posts, read 154,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Yes, these questions about marriage and children are technically illegal, but don't think they aren't being considered. They do this simply because they know a family needs more income. THAT is usually the biggest determining factor in being offered the job or not.

It's crap, but money is the American way. We are paying the price for that habit now..
They are not illegal. Seriously, go actually read the law.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:00 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,818,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kion View Post
They are not illegal. Seriously, go actually read the law.
Federal no
State maybe...
Ask the Headhunter: Is it really illegal for employers to ask if you

I know of a town that had a number of iffy questions. Turns out their application was from the mid to late 1970's and they never updated it..until recently.

Are you married? what's your selective service status..have you ever been sick for more than three months?

Old 04-23-2016, 12:15 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
I was asked if I had sex with the Secretary of Commerce (google her). There is a reason why the question was not completely crazy, but it was illegal, and I didn't answer it.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:21 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
I had an interview for a receptionist job, and right before my interview a plumber had called and canceled on the woman interviewing me. All of the interview questions ended up revolving around plumbing, which I knew nothing about. I was asked if I knew how to fix common plumbing issues, what I would do if there was a plumbing problem during my shift, how would I handle a plumber who called and canceled etc... It was so weird.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:30 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
If you could be one animal, what would it be?
I've been asked that before. Granted, it was while interviewing for a position at a zoo, so it wasn't that crazy or strange of a question, but still caught me off guard. That and I was asked if I knew whether Curious George was an ape or a monkey. I answered wrong, thinking that Curious George had a tail. Weird question to assume everyone knows in detail what Curious George looks like. And no, the job wasn't working with apes or monkeys, so it was just weird in general to bring up Curious George as an interview question.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:53 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,619,738 times
What kind of cell phone do you have and why?

Are you ok with being poor, because you will be at this job?

Are you ok working with people that don't look like you? (why wouldn't I be?)

Old 04-23-2016, 07:33 AM

105 posts, read 105,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post

If you could be one animal, what would it be?
I was asked that years ago, for a cashier job when I was a teenager. I was so stunned by the question I said a Wolverine. I just saw a documentary about it the night before. This was way before anyone knew about the X-Men comics.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:04 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I was asked if I had sex with the Secretary of Commerce (google her). There is a reason why the question was not completely crazy, but it was illegal, and I didn't answer it.
There is little doubt some people in the position of power to interview a job candidate are doing this to entertain themselves. Some interviewers ask off the wall questions to see if the person has a sense of humor. Its hard to tell which is which.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:27 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Years ago I was applying for a summer law clerk position with a Chicago judge. He stared down at my chest and said "When can they...you start?"
Yes, this one really has the ring of truth...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search