Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 03:50 PM

4 posts, read 29,472 times

Advertisements

I applied for a job with a science publishing company in mid July. This would be my first job after college. After about a week, they had me do an assignment where I had to edit a document like the type they would publish. An HR person responded to my email saying they were very impressed with my work and wanted me to come in for an in person interview.

So I had the in person interview on August 5th. It lasted 2.5 hours and it went well. I did another editing test, except this one was timed. They told me I probably wouldn't get through the entire document but I did, so I'm assuming that was a good sign.

Two weeks later, I still hadn't heard back, even though they told me they'd contact me within a week. I emailed the hiring manager to follow up. She told me they were interviewing one other person and I'd hear back soon. A few days later, last Monday, I got an email from the hiring manager saying they were going with the other candidate because they had a stronger background in the field of that journal than I did -- however, there was another spot opening up in a different journal around mid October in a field I had more experience in. She told me the budget department said she could hire me around the beginning of October, but no sooner because there couldn't be too much overlap. I checked online and the job had been posted on their job board.

So I told her I was interested, and I had a phone interview scheduled two days later with the editor of the second journal (I was told I didn't need to come in for another in-person interview, a phone interview would do). I had the interview on Wednesday, and then on Thursday an HR person called me saying they were "moving forward" and requesting information from three references. I sent her an email on Thursday night with three references I knew would say good things about me (two from a related position, one an unrelated position but I didn't have anyone else). One of my references contacted me on Friday and told me she filled out the form they sent her, so I'm assuming they've all been contacted at this point. I checked yesterday on the company's job board, and the position had been taken down. But I still haven't heard anything from the company either way.

Sorry for the length of this post. This wait is killing me. I was pretty sure I was going to get this job because everything that happened seemed like a good sign but now I just don't know. The last job I had a final round interview for I thought I did well, and then waited a week and a half and heard back from HR that they'd selected someone else. I feel like the same thing is happening. I emailed the HR person I've been working with this morning and still haven't heard anything. It's been silent. Admittedly, she has been very unresponsive to emails throughout this entire process. I am thinking of trying to call her to follow up on Tuesday after the holiday weekend, or emailing the hiring manager to follow up. Would this be an appropriate move? Is there anything else I should do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 05:03 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,120,439 times
Have you checked with your other two references? Perhaps HR is waiting on their responses.
In addition, unless they said they will be extending an offer to you pending a reference check, "moving forward" may only mean that they are taking the next steps in the interviewing process (reference check) which they need to do for every candidate before making a decision.

Old 09-01-2016, 05:22 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
Sometimes it takes a long time for references to respond. And a response from your references doesn't mean that you are hired the next day. Paperwork has to be completed, then it needs to be signed off on by the department head, and then probably a division head or a VP, and it can sit on anyone and everyone's desk for a day or two, or two weeks if they forgot about it ...

Old 09-02-2016, 04:57 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,610 times
i would wait until next week to reach back out. As others have pointed out, it could be waiting on your other references to fill out the information; or it really could be a delay at the background check company - that's a process that can easily take 3-10 days for most people. Also, once the report comes back most employers will review and see if they have any additional concerns or requirements they want first. Then you get into the whole offer timeframe where depending on the company that could be a couple of days up to a few weeks to go through their internal process before making an offer. Basically i wouldn't worry -it's either going to happen, or it won't. Don't stress and enjoy your holiday weekend.

Old 09-02-2016, 02:13 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times
I would keep moving forward. I've learned not to wait on jobs these days.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the input, everyone. I contacted all of my references and they've all sent in the forms that the company emailed to them. I'm going to give HR a call today or tomorrow for a timeframe.
I also never signed a form for a background check so I don't think they'd be doing anything like that. I still haven't heard anything and the wait is driving me nuts.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:35 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowfoxes View Post
Thanks for the input, everyone. I contacted all of my references and they've all sent in the forms that the company emailed to them. I'm going to give HR a call today or tomorrow for a timeframe.
I also never signed a form for a background check so I don't think they'd be doing anything like that. I still haven't heard anything and the wait is driving me nuts.
Regardless of the outcome. Don't sit around and wait for an answer. Continue your job search every day.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Regardless of the outcome. Don't sit around and wait for an answer. Continue your job search every day.
Yes, I know, I was doing that with jobs in Boston and NYC when I lived nearby in my college town (in RI). Even then I wasn't getting many interviews, but I must have applied and followed up at close to 100 jobs over three months. I think I had four interviews total over the summer since I graduated.

I had to move home with my parents because in the interim I was working at my university, and when September came I was no longer able to work there as I wasn't a student anymore, and my apartment lease ended. Now I'm living in a small town in one of the three poorest states in the country, six hours from the nearest major metropolitan area. There's no market for my degree here, and in my experience most companies won't bother interviewing non-local candidates. It was a problem when I was living 1-3 hours from the cities I was applying to jobs in (although if there's a way I can get them to interview me despite living in the middle of no where, I'd love advice). So right now the other jobs I'm looking for are part time jobs to save enough money to move to a city where I'll actually be able to get a job with my degree.

It's hard not to ruminate on this job when it will allow me to have financial independence working in a field I like in a city I want to be in, while the alternative is living at home for the next six or so months working at a shop if I'm lucky or fast food if I'm not while I save enough to finish paying off my student loans and move somewhere I can get a real job.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:22 PM

216 posts, read 372,717 times
I am in the same position. I was asked to provide references 2 weeks ago. Then I was told it was between me and someone else. I haven't heard from my references and I really don't want to pester them so I do not know if they reached out. My recruiter told me they contacted him and I should have an answer tomorrow. I am hoping I get the position. HR told him they are very interested in me.

The waiting game is the worst. I don't think I'll sleep too much as I really want this job. I am also continuing my job search as I have other interviews set up but I am just not as interested in the companies as I am with this current one.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:18 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,342 times
In my case it was the delayed response from one of my references which forced me to quickly get someone else so they could move forward in the hiring process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search