Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2016, 10:42 AM

71 posts, read 78,520 times

Advertisements

How do you do this without it causing problems? Most prospective employers will want to contact current employers to make sure everything is okay.

While I'd like to avoid the "job hopping" stigma there are a few prospective employers both inside and well out of my immediate geographic area that are closer to what I'd want to do in the long run, in addition to my current job being personally and professionally rewarding but in some ways disadvantageous as an early-career position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 10:52 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,576,846 times
use your network? I find out about jobs and people ask if I want to work where they do even when not looking... no need to actually apply to get info on what kind of jobs are out there, just ask people you know working there

or just tell your manager what you are looking, if the job can let you grow into it. if not, mine never minded that i was looking, they even helped me find a better fit with their network at times. not sure why people on CD are so paranoid about their bosses finding out. I'm open about it because if I want to leave, i will leave. It isn't like they can force you to stay, they know that. Besides what will they do? Make you unhappy and cause you to do poorly at job? That means they have a bigger mess to cleanup with you leave.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:51 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,798,297 times
I have never had a prospective employer ask to contact my current employer.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:18 PM

789 posts, read 1,995,614 times
Any decent company will keep your job search confidential until you've accepted an offer. Only then, and after you've given permission, should they contact your current employer to verify employment data. Any company that wants to do otherwise is doing you a favor by letting you know in advance that you don't want to work for them.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:47 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,300,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomonkane View Post
How do you do this without it causing problems? Most prospective employers will want to contact current employers to make sure everything is okay.

While I'd like to avoid the "job hopping" stigma there are a few prospective employers both inside and well out of my immediate geographic area that are closer to what I'd want to do in the long run, in addition to my current job being personally and professionally rewarding but in some ways disadvantageous as an early-career position.
There is no reason for a prospective employer to contact your current employer simply because you are being considered for a job there. Likewise, don't tell anyone at your current job you are looking for another job. It is none of their business or your employer's business what you are doing.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:52 PM

226 posts, read 199,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
There is no reason for a prospective employer to contact your current employer simply because you are being considered for a job there. Likewise, don't tell anyone at your current job you are looking for another job. It is none of their business or your employer's business what you are doing.
This is true! They likely won't do that. I actually told my boss I was leaving and gave several months notice to train someone. Your situation is probably different, but telling them your intentions are respectful-and-it relieves the stress of the point behind this post. It could give you the freedom to take that phone call or go on an interview. Most people I have worked with are reasonable, as we all have been there.

Old 09-17-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainLineMommy View Post
Any decent company will keep your job search confidential until you've accepted an offer. Only then, and after you've given permission, should they contact your current employer to verify employment data. Any company that wants to do otherwise is doing you a favor by letting you know in advance that you don't want to work for them.
This is only applicable to the private sector. Public sector jobs, many of which are what I'd be looking at, vary greatly on this by the title, job function, and specific organization.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:47 AM

2,704 posts, read 2,775,208 times
Never had a potential employer call my current job. You just carefully do your job search.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Never had a potential employer call my current job. You just carefully do your job search.
Again, this depends on the employer and the field. Plenty of competitive employers are ones that you know right away will be doing meticulous research on applicants depending on the position applied for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search