Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2021, 05:19 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,433,240 times

Advertisements

I had worked with staffing agencies years ago,and long story short found myself recently applying to more...and was also reminded of the frustrations I had with them before,at least in this area.
It ends up being the same thing...at least a 2 hour process,even nowadays after I had pre applied online. They get you in there,'verify'(repeat) all of your information(another stall tactic)...and when all is said and done they give you their handbook and tell you to 'check in once a week'. Wait a minute...I replied to actual jobs they had listed,what happened to those? One thing I heard was that they try to fill their database with names(for tax purposes etc)and don't necessarily have the positions listed any longer.
Which brings me to present day...now it seems they are more scripted than ever. They conduct all these 'pre screenings' and phony interviews and still end up with no concrete leads.
I got a slew of calls recently from these places,but now I'm tired of taking time out of my current schedule of real gigs to be on their go nowhere phone calls or visits to their offices which yield nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2021, 10:40 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
Yes they love to waste people's time. I do not go to these waste your time interviews. I'd ask them for a position description and salary range and if they can't provide any details they are time wasting scum. Believe me, if a recruiter has a real job you are a match for they are not shy about reaching out whether you are in their database or not. They want that juicy commission.

One has to be very watchful for time wasters on the job hunt. People with no skills nor value like recruiters and HR like to waste the time of people that are productive to make themselves feel important when they are in fact less than worthless.

Old 11-18-2021, 06:38 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,230,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Wait a minute...I replied to actual jobs they had listed,what happened to those?
During the "interview" I would focus on the job they had listed. You want me to go through 2 hours of rigmarole, there BETTER be a job there.

No, I'm not going to come in "to see what's out there" - if you don't have a particular job at a particular client, check back with me later.

Quote:
One thing I heard was that they try to fill their database with names(for tax purposes etc)and don't necessarily have the positions listed any longer.
I don't think this is about tax purposes.

This is for several reasons:

* They have a slowdown in client hiring, so the recruiters are on "database duty" where they have to fill up their database with people, wasting tons of candidates' time. Eventually, these recruiters paychecks drop to zero (they're on commission, remember) and they quit to work a Mcjob for actual pay.

* They are in process of trying to land new clients, but they need a robust candidate database.

So, if you get called by these third party staffing agencies, make sure they actually HAVE a job before wasting your time with them.

Old 11-18-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
So, if you get called by these third party staffing agencies, make sure they actually HAVE a job before wasting your time with them.
I was referring more to local agencies such as Express etc rather than the far off company I never heard of that Akbar calls me from...

Old 11-19-2021, 12:11 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,375,256 times
Quote:
I had worked with staffing agencies years ago,and long story short found myself recently applying to more...and was also reminded of the frustrations I had with them before,at least in this area.
It ends up being the same thing...at least a 2 hour process,even nowadays after I had pre applied online. They get you in there,'verify'(repeat) all of your information(another stall tactic)...and when all is said and done they give you their handbook and tell you to 'check in once a week'. Wait a minute...I replied to actual jobs they had listed,what happened to those? One thing I heard was that they try to fill their database with names(for tax purposes etc)and don't necessarily have the positions listed any longer.
Which brings me to present day...now it seems they are more scripted than ever. They conduct all these 'pre screenings' and phony interviews and still end up with no concrete leads.
I got a slew of calls recently from these places,but now I'm tired of taking time out of my current schedule of real gigs to be on their go nowhere phone calls or visits to their offices which yield nothing.
There is really no reason to visit a staffing firm's office. The ones that do that, are trying to generation sales leads for their business. Good staffing firms will contact you by email with the job description. If they don't do that, then ignore them and don't take their phone calls. I've known people who have been W2 contractors for years and never saw the inside of their office. They exchanged emails, talked a little on the phone, then submitted them to the client.

Old 11-20-2021, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I was referring more to local agencies such as Express etc rather than the far off company I never heard of that Akbar calls me from...
The principle is the same.

If they tell you to "go through some rigmarole" and they don't even mention any roles at a specific client, then bounce.

Old 11-21-2021, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
The principle is the same.

If they tell you to "go through some rigmarole" and they don't even mention any roles at a specific client, then bounce.
It hasn't been the same for me, when the distant recruiters call me they generally mention the position up front. When I go to one of the 'chain' places,that's the carbon copy procedure.

Old 11-21-2021, 08:54 PM

Quote:
It hasn't been the same for me, when the distant recruiters call me they generally mention the position up front.
So, then if you want the job, go through the rigmarole.

Quote:
When I go to one of the 'chain' places,that's the carbon copy procedure.
Same principle. If you want the job, go through the rigmarole.

If there is no job in either case, don't bother.

I mean, what am I missing here? Seems you don't want to go through the rigmarole and find out "oh, that job you wanted does not really exist, I'm just on database entry duty"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search