Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 10:55 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times

Advertisements

Maybe this is just a rant, I dunno. Hubs and I are completely burnt out. We've put in apps from Charlotte NC to Boston Ma and Portsmouth NH..... 1 job offer and the pay was so low it was offensive. Hubs has been in the workforce 20 years and making around $70k, they offered him barely over $40k. He's been wanting to get out of law enforcement for a while, hes been in it 15+ years so he busted is rear to get his BBA with a heavy focus in finance. All his advisors told him it was a great degree and he'll have no issues and so before he even graduated he started looking. He graduated Magna *** Laude even with working 60+ hours a week nights!

Every place wants "entry level 3-5 years experience"... how is that even possible?!?!?! Doesn't that contradict entry level? If I was a chef for 5 years I sure as hell better not be considered entry level. Now it just seems like a waste of his time and money to even get the degree and try and change careers. We know we aren't going to get $70k starting off but we also aren't taking a $30k paycut. We have a kid, bills, house etc.

We feel like we've used all our resources, Indeed, recruiters, job websites, LinkedIn and recruiters on there. Family, friends, FB groups, referrals from acquaintances. Its like there's no where else to turn. I think what pisses me off the most almost all of these places have "do not call" when you fill out the app. So you can't even talk to a real human being and make an impression. Its like you're an automated number and they just spew out no thank yous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 11:01 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
40k entry level new grad is about right.

No one is going to pay him much more.

He either takes the pay cut to start all over in a new field or stays with his current industry.

As a matter of fact, most companies will not even consider hiring an older person making great money who wants to get into a new field as an entry level worker. They want young, fresh grads with internship experience. That 40k offer was probably a great opportunity if he really wants to change careers.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
40k entry level new grad is about right.

No one is going to pay him much more.

He either takes the pay cut to start all over in a new field or stays with his current industry.

As a matter of fact, most companies will not even consider hiring an older person making great money who wants to get into a new field as an entry level worker. They want young, fresh grads with internship experience. That 40k offer was probably a great opportunity if he really wants to change careers.
we can't afford it. I'm chronically ill so I cannot be depended on to work. He is our sole provider and I MUST have medical insurance as I have a team of doctors at any given point keep me able to get out of bed every day. If I had been able to work full time it would have been just fine. Unfortunately we aren't in the same boat as a lot of people. We tried to make it work, we crunched numbers, even considered re-financing our car. In the end we couldn't even find an apt to rent in that price range with that pay and that's what did us in.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:46 PM

268 posts, read 282,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Maybe this is just a rant, I dunno. Hubs and I are completely burnt out. We've put in apps from Charlotte NC to Boston Ma and Portsmouth NH..... 1 job offer and the pay was so low it was offensive. Hubs has been in the workforce 20 years and making around $70k, they offered him barely over $40k. He's been wanting to get out of law enforcement for a while, hes been in it 15+ years so he busted is rear to get his BBA with a heavy focus in finance. All his advisors told him it was a great degree and he'll have no issues and so before he even graduated he started looking. He graduated Magna *** Laude even with working 60+ hours a week nights!

Every place wants "entry level 3-5 years experience"... how is that even possible?!?!?! Doesn't that contradict entry level? If I was a chef for 5 years I sure as hell better not be considered entry level. Now it just seems like a waste of his time and money to even get the degree and try and change careers. We know we aren't going to get $70k starting off but we also aren't taking a $30k paycut. We have a kid, bills, house etc.

We feel like we've used all our resources, Indeed, recruiters, job websites, LinkedIn and recruiters on there. Family, friends, FB groups, referrals from acquaintances. Its like there's no where else to turn. I think what pisses me off the most almost all of these places have "do not call" when you fill out the app. So you can't even talk to a real human being and make an impression. Its like you're an automated number and they just spew out no thank yous.
What happen to the job he had making $70k, why did he decide to leave that job(before finding a new one) if the pay was adequate. Sounds like he worked himself up to 70k, so maybe companies aren't willing to dish out close to that amount for a fresh new employee, but I do agree that $40k is a big stretch from 70k.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleNicole View Post
What happen to the job he had making $70k, why did he decide to leave that job(before finding a new one) if the pay was adequate. Sounds like he worked himself up to 70k, so maybe companies aren't willing to dish out close to that amount for a fresh new employee, but I do agree that $40k is a big stretch from 70k.
He hast left if. He is currently working at it but it's in law enforcement. He wants to get out of that field. He's burnt out after 15 years of 50 hours a week, no holiday pay, no shift diff (and he works 14 hour night shifts) and no holidays off. He wants to put his newly acquired degree to use.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:00 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
He wants to put his newly acquired degree to use.
So put it to use? What's the problem? Sounds like he wants Tiffany wages for doing Outback work! If the work only commands $40K per year, that is what he needs to expect.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:14 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
He hast left if. He is currently working at it but it's in law enforcement. He wants to get out of that field. He's burnt out after 15 years of 50 hours a week, no holiday pay, no shift diff (and he works 14 hour night shifts) and no holidays off. He wants to put his newly acquired degree to use.
Find a law enforcement job that has a heavy focus on finance. Corporate jobs at major security firms, private security companies, etc.

Trying to jump in as solely finance will mean entry level. That's just common sense.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Find a law enforcement job that has a heavy focus on finance. Corporate jobs at major security firms, private security companies, etc.

Trying to jump in as solely finance will mean entry level. That's just common sense.
Have been looking.. even into this like credit fraud etc that require law enforcement background. His dept has no openings in Finance and there is a 1 year hold to change positions due to employee shortage... we have thought of this already.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
So put it to use? What's the problem? Sounds like he wants Tiffany wages for doing Outback work! If the work only commands $40K per year, that is what he needs to expect.
No we wanted $47-$50k . That is still a $20k paycut. Imagine how many years it could take him to make that up? As I stated above I am chronically ill and cannot work. He is our sole provider and at 40k we would have to require me to work full time and refinance our car etc. we DID try to make it work crunching endless numbers and working with a realtor to find a rental.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:59 PM

901 posts, read 747,412 times
Law enforcement is a stable career, why change to a generic business field especially at a major pay cut?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search