Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2017, 12:34 PM

359 posts, read 302,217 times

Advertisements

Okay so I've been job hunting the past 2 months since graduating college after going back to school in my thirties. I got a bunch of hits on my online applications with various phone interviews and a couple of in person interviews. Lately it's been heating up. After meeting a company 4 months ago during a campus recruiting event (but not being offered a job at the time), applying to another position but again no response, the third time was the charm thanks in part to classmate's referral. The company in question moved quickly with the recruiting process - I sent them a cover letter and resume last week and received a verbal offer (by video) from the HR and hiring managers this week. The salary is so so but the benefits are decent, the position is challenging and will provide a good learning opportunity.

During the video interview, the managers made me the offer and asked me if I was interested in accepting it. I said yes but that I wanted to see their new facility (it requires relocation), meet the people and then I could decide. Luckily they accepted this idea and are giving me a week to think about the offer and show up to meet them. They expect a decision the following day.

My issue? I have a response deadline conflict in that the day they want a decision is also the day I have an interview at another company for a job opportunity that offers better future potential (being in that job for 2-3 years could set me up for a $60K/year future job elsewhere). The second company also wants 6 references (I think that's excessive) and all kinds of docs including copies of diplomas/degrees/certs, travel docs (there could be international travel), etc. I received a tip from another classmate that the entry salary is very low (company HR refuses to give a range) and they are also secretive about the benefits for some reason.

Realistically, I can't expect the second company to make a decision on my candidacy the same day as the interview especially with all that stuff they want to verify. Unfortunately there are no earlier interview time slots available at the second company (I asked them 3.5 weeks ago when I was invited to next week's interview and again this week) so I wonder what's the use of going knowing I'll probably accept the first company's offer anyway? I've already booked a non refundable hotel room, so I might as well go...but short of them saying you're hired the same day as the interview (despite not yet checking my references), I feel like I'll have to tell them thanks for meeting me but I'm going to work at another company anyway.

Is there something I can say at the second company's interview to show that yes I'm interested but I'm in a rush and need to know if they'll offer me the job without being too pushy? If I can't get the second company to offer me something this time around, I want to maintain good relations in case I'm looking again in the near future.

Last edited by sedonaverde; 07-26-2017 at 01:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 12:37 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
I'd have to say go with the bird in the hand on this one.

Plus the whole 6 references, word of mouth about low salary, excessive documentations requirements, etc. just makes the second one feel a little off IMO.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:14 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I'd have to say go with the bird in the hand on this one.

Plus the whole 6 references, word of mouth about low salary, excessive documentations requirements, etc. just makes the second one feel a little off IMO.
Totally agree with this, plus the secrecy about benefits makes my spidey senses tingle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search