Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 11:44 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,433,937 times

Advertisements

How does one get 'promised' a job across the country without already being with a company? I started with a company in January,but it's only a contract until October with no guarantee of renewal. They do have locations across the country,and currently we're looking at relocating back across the country somewhere,but if they end up not renewing me or something else then what other options would I have with finding something in another area? Can't find an apt with no job to list...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 08:35 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,547,409 times
This generally only easily happens when your job title is an upper level management and up position that has few local candidates. So it depends on the job and location.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:06 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,588,499 times
The easiest way to do this is to update your resume with an address local to where you want to relocate to, even though you don't live there. HR filter bots will oftentimes be configured to just trash any resume from a non-local candidate.

Of course, this has a couple of inherent risks: For one, you're going to have to be willing to fly yourself out there to do interviews, and coordinating it so you can bang out a lot of them in one trip can be tricky. The other one being that it removes any possibility of getting a relo package from your future employer. Unless you're in one of a few golden fields, i.e. upper management, senior level tech, nursing/doctor, etc. it's about your only path.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:38 AM
mcq

337 posts, read 673,135 times
There's no magic potion to this. I was hired in TN from MI (working remotely for 3 months on trial period and moving there in 10 days), but I spent a long time looking, many interviews, and even was laid off from my previous job before finding the new one. I am not a high ranking executive, CEO, etc.

If the job has any sort of demand, they will be open to interviewing you via phone or video. Maybe even fly you out to interview if they like you enough. Unfortunately, not all jobs have enough demand.

Are you willing to fund the relocation yourself? If yes, then there will be more doors open. If I knew a job did not offer relocation assistance, I made sure to mention at least in the cover letter that I would not require assistance. And yes, they did sometimes read the cover letter, believe it or not.

Decide if you want to pretend to be local (at least as far as getting past the application system filters) or if you want to be up front. I chose to be up front. I'm certain there were cases where I was auto-filtered out with no human ever seeing my application/resume.

Living there: you could do a month to month or week to week hotel/extended stay. Not cheap though. I didn't have the funds to risk for this.

I could never get anything going with networking. If you can, that would be huge.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:34 PM

127 posts, read 102,412 times
I'm trying to accomplish this myself, and have not been very successful so far, despite the cover letter disclaimer. There are just too many local applicants in my field.

I decided to not list a local address, because I'd have a heard time explaining why I'm employed in state X, but live in state Z thousand+ miles away. I have, however, severed all my ties to real estate locally, lined up a mover, ready to load and go, and am partially packed already. I found that the real turnoff for companies is having to deal with home sales, lengthy moves, and other complications.

Eventually, though, I will have to quit my job, in order to make a move to my target area, and hope for the best. It's risky, and I am considering that I may have exhausted all my options in terms of companies to apply to/interview with, especially if they flag certain applicants after deciding you're of no interest to them (while you lived in state X). HR can be a bear sometimes.

And I work in one of those "golden fields", as someone above put it, and a more advanced position.

There is no real easy solution. So many moving parts beyond your control determine your success, or lack thereof. I loathe the idea of quitting a job before finding a new one. But you almost have no other choice. I spent $$$ for travel to interviews on site, at times with companies that decided to go with their local option even prior to my onsite interview with them.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:30 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,126,380 times
Just ask your company to work at one of the other locations. All they can say is no.

My co-worker and his wife moved on August 1st, after his wife asked the manager about moving. Manager took care of the paperwork with HR and it was done.

If you are in a high demand field like technology, it's not that hard honestly. Just set up your profile on Linkedin, and the recruiters will spam you with messages every week. I have had offers to move all around the country, until I updated my location preferences to local only.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:40 AM

35,099 posts, read 31,339,345 times
I moved from TN to IA in 2012 then from TN to IN in 2014, then back to TN from IN last year.

I was interviewed over Skype for the IA job. They made an offer. The job was OK for what it was, but ultimately I didn't care for IA much and went back to TN.

Lost my butt that year in TN and started applying for anything. I got a call back from a company in Indianapolis. I drove up there at my own expense and an offer was made with $3,000 relocation. That was enough to get me up there. I stayed in IN for almost three years.

I interviewed at a major local employer when I lived in IN. Offer made, but no relocation. I'm pretty certain had I not been from the local area, I'd have never gotten the interview.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcq View Post
Are you willing to fund the relocation yourself? If yes, then there will be more doors open. If I knew a job did not offer relocation assistance, I made sure to mention at least in the cover letter that I would not require assistance.

I could never get anything going with networking. If you can, that would be huge.

Yes I expect to fund the relocation. I rarely hear about companies doing that unless someone has been with them a long time or is a huge asset to them.

And no I've no luck with networking either,though it never hurts to try.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelkeks View Post
I will have to quit my job, in order to make a move to my target area, and hope for the best. It's risky, and I am considering that I may have exhausted all my options in terms of companies to apply to/interview with, especially if they flag certain applicants after deciding you're of no interest to them (while you lived in state X).
I did that alot in my younger years,and when I had the money for it. When applying for rent,places will ask about a place of employment. It's a catch-22,can't find a place without a job and can't find a job without a place...

Old 08-14-2017, 12:32 PM

34,098 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
How does one get 'promised' a job across the country without already being with a company?
Best way is to be recruited because you have some special skill.
Get a nice relocation expense budget too.

Quote:
...what other options would I have with finding something in another area?
Can't find an apt with no job to list...
Look for less than an apartment... and do it all in stages.

Take an extended stay room for the first week or two...
use that time to find the get by job you'll need and which will cover cheap rent.

THEN... with an okish LOCAL job... share a house or apartment NEAR that job.
Take a deep breath. Poke around. Mke some friends in town.

THEN with a local address and actually having a job...
prospect/apply for the better job that actually suits.

THEN look to find an apartment of your own
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search