Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 08:07 AM

264 posts, read 230,058 times

Advertisements

Hey all! My family will be relocating from CT to FL in the next 9-11 months. While I have started purging our house of useless stuff I am curious what your advise is on when to start looking and applying for jobs down there. My husband is a truck driver so his job will not change however mine will. This is the first long distance move I've ever done so I'm looking to make it as smooth as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 08:18 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,109 times
I'd say 3 months out, BUT you should be looking now to see what's available. What part of Florida and what do you do?

Old 04-18-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I'd say 3 months out, BUT you should be looking now to see what's available. What part of Florida and what do you do?
We're looking to relocate to the Englewood, Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda area of FL. I am a mortgage underwriter. I am definitely keeping an eye on the employment market through Indeed alerts currently though as I get closer, I plan on making a list of local banks and credit unions and looking directly on their websites as Indeed does not do a good job of matching my alerts to what I actually do or want.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpotterfan77 View Post
We're looking to relocate to the Englewood, Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda area of FL. I am a mortgage underwriter. I am definitely keeping an eye on the employment market through Indeed alerts currently though as I get closer, I plan on making a list of local banks and credit unions and looking directly on their websites as Indeed does not do a good job of matching my alerts to what I actually do or want.
Agree. Indeed isn't great. Thats a smaller area, so you might need even more lead time to nail down something. Start connecting with people on LinkedIn and maybe scheduling phone calls with those people (hiring managers, ideally).

Old 04-18-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Agree. Indeed isn't great. Thats a smaller area, so you might need even more lead time to nail down something. Start connecting with people on LinkedIn and maybe scheduling phone calls with those people (hiring managers, ideally).

I hate to sound like a complete novice but I'm not completely familiar with LinkedIn. I have a page on there but how the heck do I go about finding hiring managers in an area I'm not familiar with? lol Since I do not yet know what is down there for banks, etc, should I be searching that now and trying to find them on there? I've never used it as a tool for job hunting honestly. Sad since I'm in my 40's but I've always dealth with either job search type pages or gone directly to a bank's website to apply.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:17 PM

172 posts, read 146,031 times
We are planning to relocate sometime this summer. DH started applying 2 weeks ago. There are some positions with June timeframes and he interviewed for one that might want the position filled within the month.

We've been looking at listings for awhile to get an idea of the jobs in each city we as reconsidering. He works in a specific type of office dept as a mgr.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:22 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Hey all! My family will be relocating from CT to FL in the next 9-11 months.
My husband is a truck driver so his job will not change however mine will.
Don't move anywhere that requires YOUR income to make it work.
Save those choices for well after the move and when you KNOW how much you'll have.

Quote:
...curious what your advise is on when to start looking and applying for jobs down there.
That all depends on what your skill set is and how appealing you'll be to the prospective employers.
For MOST though... until you are in place with the kids/house/move all settled... don't waste your time.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Don't move anywhere that requires YOUR income to make it work.
Save those choices for well after the move and when you KNOW how much you'll have.

That all depends on what your skill set is and how appealing you'll be to the prospective employers.
For MOST though... until you are in place with the kids/house/move all settled... don't waste your time.

It's not necessarily true that we'll NEED my income to move however we'll need it to live more comfortably than "just making it". My job is a bit specialized and is in mortgage financing so I have been watching the market and it seems pretty strong down in FL which is where we are planning to relocate. I plan on starting to look at the end of December, early January when banks, etc are finalizing their employee budgets and see what happens from there. Again, we are moving regardless but my hope is to have a job lined up prior to getting there.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:19 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Again, we are moving regardless but my hope is to have a job lined up prior to getting there.
Understood. And if you're one of the few who CAN line up a decent job from 2000 miles away... great.
My suggestion is a) don't count on that and b) don't plan around it happening.

Choose where you want to live... and the sooner the better (for most). And go.
Rather few good jobs will hire anyone who doesn't already live in commute distance.

Just don't commit to a purchase or expensive lease that requires the second income.
Postpone those decisions for after you're hired, know how much you'll earn and know the job is a good fit.
Good luck.

Last edited by MrRational; 04-22-2019 at 06:36 AM..

Old 04-22-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I hate to sound like a complete novice but I'm not completely familiar with LinkedIn. I have a page on there but how the heck do I go about finding hiring managers in an area I'm not familiar with? lol Since I do not yet know what is down there for banks, etc, should I be searching that now and trying to find them on there? I've never used it as a tool for job hunting honestly. Sad since I'm in my 40's but I've always dealth with either job search type pages or gone directly to a bank's website to apply.
Research potential companies first. Come up with a list of 10 or so that you really like. Then go to their website and search for people. They may or may not have an "about us" that shows management or whatever. But if you can find a couple people who look to be at a more senior level, then look for them on LinkedIn. But first, you need to get your profile set up on LinkedIn. You can also set it up to notify you of jobs or just do a search for jobs on the site. There's a paid option too, but I wouldn't do that, at least not to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search