Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 08:51 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,184,631 times

Advertisements

I feel your pain
same thing happening with my hubby for 6 months now.

He is such a trooper, while I feel like a mama bear wanting to protect her own.

Good luck to you..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 05:18 PM

303 posts, read 846,345 times
Same thing happening with my boyfriend and I for 2 years. Always "we promise we'll get back to you", and that's the last we hear from the companies.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:27 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,463,842 times
And ironically? Some of those jobs may NOT be dead. Companies are often moving slower now then you would believe making hiring decisions...

Old 07-01-2008, 07:27 PM

303 posts, read 846,345 times
We've been searching for 2 years. I doubt companies take that long just to make one hiring decision.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:06 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,515,416 times
My advice? When any of them make you an offer, don't sign anything, but accept the offer. Accept all the offers, then pick the one you want.
They will do that to you in a minute...offer you a job and then blow you off for someone cheaper.
Companies aren't taking a long time with the hiring process...it usually means they found someone else or someone cheaper.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalGal953 View Post
Same thing happening with my boyfriend and I for 2 years. Always "we promise we'll get back to you", and that's the last we hear from the companies.

Yep...they just say that, because they want to keep you hanging on. If they said, "Hey, we are looking for someone cheaper or better than you for the price"...you won't be strung along.
They are hoping you will be in the wings waiting, so they can have someone as a backup too, if Joe or John doesn't work out. Then they have others to pick from. Or say Joe doesn't show up after accepting the job, or won't relocate, or takes a better offer, then they have you waiting out there. See, it's all a game.
So when they say "We will get back with you", just say "Thanks, talk to you soon!" and keep looking for a job.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:11 PM

PS...Didn't mean to insult any "Joe's" or "John's" out there....

Old 07-02-2008, 06:08 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,865,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
Your preaching to the choir when it comes to most people who will read this post. And we have all shared your frustration at one time or another.

It's amazing how so many places of employment feel their time is so much more valuable than ours. We take the time and energy to apply for positions, to sell ourselves and hopefully land an interview, then we take time out of our days and gas (which isn't cheap) to go interview. If they want to choose someone else fine, that's how it goes. However, don't lead people on, or fail to call someone back if you say you will, etc. It wouldn't kill them to at least let those that weren't chosen know about the status of things.
Very well said. I want to relocate to the Midwest. I am a teacher and this charter school e-mailed me and said they would set up a phone interview. Well, here I was getting excited about it because I am just totally miserable where I am right now. I was so excited about having a fresh start. Well, the time comes for the phone interview and I wait and wait. Well, finally I just decide to call. I leave a message because the lady doesn't answer her phone. Well, she never calls me back. I mean, if a place isn't interested at all they shouldn't even bother contacting us to begin with. I almost think it would be better if they just sent you a letter or an e-mail saying that you have no chance in h@## of getting this job. At least that way I wouldn't be disappointed.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:28 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,441,841 times
Unfortunately, it is an employer's market and they hold all the cards. What gets me is when you send in your resume, you don't hear anything, then out of the blue they call and want you to drop everything you are doing and go to the interview that very same day. Then you break your neck to get there and then you hear nothing.

From now on, I am doing just what Racelady88 says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
If they call back, great. If they don't call back, oh well.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:50 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,236,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
Very well said. I want to relocate to the Midwest. I am a teacher and this charter school e-mailed me and said they would set up a phone interview. Well, here I was getting excited about it because I am just totally miserable where I am right now. I was so excited about having a fresh start. Well, the time comes for the phone interview and I wait and wait. Well, finally I just decide to call. I leave a message because the lady doesn't answer her phone. Well, she never calls me back. I mean, if a place isn't interested at all they shouldn't even bother contacting us to begin with. I almost think it would be better if they just sent you a letter or an e-mail saying that you have no chance in h@## of getting this job. At least that way I wouldn't be disappointed.

I'm very sorry to hear that happened, I hope something else comes your way as I'm sure you'd be a great addition to a place of employment.

It's so frustrating when employers act like that, yet if we were to act that way there is no chance they would hire us. They act that way and we are supposed to still consider working for them? No thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search