Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 05:04 PM

332 posts, read 1,431,679 times

Advertisements

Two agencies, two managers, two calls to me faking enthusiasm and asking me to clear my schedule last Friday and Mon/Tues to interview at their respective agencies. Two promises to follow up with a specific time within 48 hours.

I cancel a trip to an out of town wedding last week and a trip to Disney World with my nephew this week... AND NEVER HEARD FROM THEM AGAIN.

I know I won't tell them off... I'm a wuss... but I kind of want to do it. It's not like I contacted them asking for an interview... they got my resume through other agencies and they recruited me. Then, they freakin' promised me the moon and disappeared.

Would any of respond or most of you just let it go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 05:15 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,086,661 times
I'd probably stew about it.
Then think, they are creating their own bad 'karma.' What goes around, comes around.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:02 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,364,773 times
NO - but I wanted to. I was screwed over by a temp agency 5 years ago when I was unemployed and they sent me on a bum assignment .... well 5 years later - I was unemployed again. Desperate I applied to a job they had posted online, even though I vowed I would never work with them again. Went on the interview - guess what? - they screwed me up again!
This is a large nationwide agency BTW. I will never use them again. (hopefully will not need too!)

Old 06-22-2009, 08:42 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,980,808 times
Call their upper level management and describe to the head in professional business terms how his staff are behaving in unprofessional ways. It's that easy. Do it in a very respectful tone, so they don't think you are some basket case. The head of the department almost always hates to hear bad news and complaints.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:56 PM

332 posts, read 1,431,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Call their upper level management and describe to the head in professional business terms how his staff are behaving in unprofessional ways. It's that easy. Do it in a very respectful tone, so they don't think you are some basket case. The head of the department almost always hates to hear bad news and complaints.
Thanks but probably wouldn't work in this case. My industry privatized about seven years ago... and as such, a crapton of tiny agencies popped up. Ironically, I'd sworn off working at another agency and only considered it b/c these two offers sounded sweet.

One agency, the person calling/emailing me was the owner (as listed on the site's website) and he manages the dozen locations across the state on his own. The other agency, that lady, we shared a client about 3 years ago and she was miserably inattentive then... however, it's one of the few agencies that is affiliated nationally so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I'm just so tired of it. People are losing respect for one another and you are so right about the karma GypsySoul.

It's so sad that in my field, most of these agencies just care about putting butts in the seats to keep their numbers legit... you wouldn't believe some of the offers I've had over the last 5 years... the agencies rarely even care... hire on the spot before checking references OR promise you the moon and then drag it out for months. Worst, I started with my last agency under some of those promises and ended up doing the work I had stated I would not consider and working for a 15k paycut.

When I worked in employment/hr and when I've had hiring responsibilities, I have NEVER treated candidates with such disrespect as I've seen myself, read about on the boards, and heard reported to me from my clients. The last thing some of these people need is to feel even more rejected. Hell, I have tremendous confidence in myself work-wise and my ability to secure employment... but I have to admit that I've even wondered a few times what made them change their minds so quickly and harshly that I didn't even deserve a return phone call. Ugh.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:51 PM

You can tell the owner in a nice way and in professional terms how his behavior was rude and what you'd like to see.

Better yet try better business bureau if you are feeling cheated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformationPlease View Post
Thanks but probably wouldn't work in this case. My industry privatized about seven years ago... and as such, a crapton of tiny agencies popped up. Ironically, I'd sworn off working at another agency and only considered it b/c these two offers sounded sweet.

One agency, the person calling/emailing me was the owner (as listed on the site's website) and he manages the dozen locations across the state on his own. The other agency, that lady, we shared a client about 3 years ago and she was miserably inattentive then... however, it's one of the few agencies that is affiliated nationally so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I'm just so tired of it. People are losing respect for one another and you are so right about the karma GypsySoul.

It's so sad that in my field, most of these agencies just care about putting butts in the seats to keep their numbers legit... you wouldn't believe some of the offers I've had over the last 5 years... the agencies rarely even care... hire on the spot before checking references OR promise you the moon and then drag it out for months. Worst, I started with my last agency under some of those promises and ended up doing the work I had stated I would not consider and working for a 15k paycut.

When I worked in employment/hr and when I've had hiring responsibilities, I have NEVER treated candidates with such disrespect as I've seen myself, read about on the boards, and heard reported to me from my clients. The last thing some of these people need is to feel even more rejected. Hell, I have tremendous confidence in myself work-wise and my ability to secure employment... but I have to admit that I've even wondered a few times what made them change their minds so quickly and harshly that I didn't even deserve a return phone call. Ugh.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:05 AM

99 posts, read 335,306 times
Yeah, I've had those same experiences as well. Broken promises, false high hopes...usually, if they don't contact you, that means sometime between that time they called and the time they were supposed to call, something happened, positions got filled or canceled.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:09 PM

34 posts, read 116,056 times
I would not want that agency to represent me for any jobs, that is very unprofessional of them to not have the courtesy to at least let you know that they were unable to keep that appointment.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:45 PM

Be careful. You don't want to get blacklisted. I forgot that it happens, however, why would you want to work at such a corrupt place that does junk like that.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:09 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,293,816 times
No but i did get into a fist fight in the middle of a job interview....i didn't get the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search