Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 08:46 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times

Advertisements

I remember that I stated that I ran into 2 CONCEITED GERMAN ENGINEER WHO HAVE TO CALL ME STUPID IN FRONT OF EVERYONE SO YEAH I RAN INTO 2 BAD EXAMPLES OF ******* CONCEITED GERMAN ENGINEERS WHO THINK GERMAN ENGINEERING IS WHERE IT'S AT...

I'm not condemning white men; they give each other a pat in the back and help each other out such that they get ALL of the top spots or they get the breaks in employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 08:48 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
I'll go make you some more Kool-Aid, honey.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:55 PM

943 posts, read 3,160,779 times
Default We get a handful of good applicants that can hit the ground running

The jobs are eventually filled but after talking to quite a few applicants who are just average.

Learning the entire Microsoft Office Suite is no easy task and I give lots of credit to applicants who learn it. There is maybe 200 commands to learn in each package times five major Microsoft Office Packages. (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook)

The job paid about $40K, BOE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
If there are applicants that can hit the ground running, then why are you having such difficulty filling the "many positions" that you have available?

I'm still waiting to hear the salary for this position. I won't hold my breath though, since the OP seems disinterested in participating in any dialog after they post questions. I've noticed that pattern and as much as I'd love to participate in the threads he or she starts, it feels kind of pointless to do so.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:05 PM

$40K in that area for that skillset? It's no wonder you aren't filling the jobs.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
$40K in that area for that skill set? It's no wonder you aren't filling the jobs.
Again, the jobs are being filled eventually but remember we are in a recession and wages are way down. Outside of the need to have an advanced skill set in the entire Microsoft Office Suite, the applicants are expected to also have advanced skills in: writing (write or rewrite reports/memos for the executives they support), public speaking (attend and speak at meetings and presentations for the executives), office management, time management and the ability to look and act polished, poise and professional as the official representative of the executive.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:12 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Again, the jobs are being filled eventually but remember we are in a recession and wages are way down. Outside of the need to have an advanced skill set in the entire Microsoft Office Suite, the applicants are expected to also have advanced skills in: writing (write or rewrite reports/memos for the executives they support), public speaking (attend and speak at meetings and presentations for the executives), office management, time management and the ability to look and act polished, poise and professional as the official representative of the executive.
Good grief, it's worse than I thought. Whoever you hired either is really good at convincing you that he has all those qualifications, or the person you hired is desperate and will walk the moment he finds something that pays 50% better.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Anyone doing all of that for $40K is selling themselves to slavery. I understand that some people are desperate, but I also understand that some companies are pigs that prey on desperate people. That job is more than an admin, and should probably be paid at least $60K if not $80K in that geographic area.

Obviously you have a lot of open jobs because your turnover is high because people split as soon as they find another job. High turnover costs a company a lot more money than paying employees fairly to begin with. You as a "recruiter" should know this and be able to express it to the company executives with an outcome that positively affects the companies bottom line. Obviously you are failing in your job. Make sure you've got some savings, because eventually someone will smarten up, and you'll be out the door.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:21 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
In places like where I live, people work very hard and make pi** money. Of course there are also people who get good money but you can get someone cheap, cheap, cheap here in Vermont.

Administrative jobs START at $10/hr. They expect a lot. No, it is not laid back. You work for that money. You're expected to work holidays in many places (remember this is a place catering to 'out of towners who want to play.').

So, WT, you if your crappy company wants to open a slave branch in Vermont come on up...you will have 5,000 people happy to work for your $40,000. Of course if you want them to dress properly, you may have to run some sort of 'be professional' seminar.

The big secret is, no one will complain. The people doing well in VT deny that anything is wrong here (the rest of us are just lazy complainers). Or they due their jobs like good old farming stock, not complaining, just pegging along.

So, yeah, there will always be someone that much more desperate to take the low paying jobs. $40,000 a year sounds like paradise to me.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:51 AM

My point in summary that if the supply of workers is significantly higher than the demand (today's job market), just having the minimum qualifications is no longer enough to get most jobs. You need to have extra skills, be extra impressive and work extra hard on your resume and interview skills. And finally you will make far less money than you did in the boom years. Why can't people understand this?

And finally, there are many good jobs still out there but you have to be really good, as my hiring manager told me.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
My point in summary that if the supply of workers is significantly higher than the demand (today's job market), just having the minimum qualifications is no longer enough to get most jobs. You need to have extra skills, be extra impressive and work extra hard on your resume and interview skills. And finally you will make far less money than you did in the boom years. Why can't people understand this?

And finally, there are many good jobs still out there but you have to be really good, as my hiring manager told me.
Your point is that you are obviously failing at your job because you aren't effectively communicating that your companies hiring practices are hurting their bottom line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search