Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 02:10 PM

150 posts, read 467,632 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've been trying to find work for almost 3 months now. I've submitted over 100 applications and counting and have yet to get even a single phone call. I've attached a version of my resume with all personal info removed. Is it me, or the job market? Does this thing need some heavy revision?

Thanks for any advice and please be harsh if you feel the need.

Thanks again.

Resume-Anonymized Copy.txt

PS: Pay no attention to the occasional spacing error, I edited the thing in a hurry to take out the identifying info and I can assure you that I haven't been sending out my resume with missing or improper spaces :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 02:29 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
The professional summary is too long, it's a summary, not a cover letter.

You've job hopped. Seven jobs in nine years.

And the redundency in this makes my eyes hurt:

*Designed and created all marketing materials, including email campaigns, magazine advertisements, web advertisements, in-store signage, and full color annual product catalog.
*Worked in conjunction with vendors to implement online and print campaigns to showcase new products.
*Managed company e-commerce site design and product content.
*Managed in-house product photography and edited images for e-commerce.
*Headed up content management portion of internal systems migration for new e-commerce site in 2007, including the organization, resizing, and renaming of images as well as developing a categorization system for over 5,000 products.
*Produced promotional videos for various company services, products, and events.
*Designed and implemented weekly targeted e-mail campaigns to a base of over 25,000 customers.
*Project lead and layout/graphical designer of 2009 Bob’s Music print catalog. This 100-page catalog featured over 1,500 products and was shipped to 30,000 customers, resulting in a significant increase in sales. Project was completed in less than 7 weeks from concept to completion. Catalog PDF (13.6 MB): www.fakewebsite.com.catalog.pdf

You have no college education, not even some classes or a certificate. That's probably the biggest problem considering the type of work you're trying for.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:43 PM

225 posts, read 643,792 times
What type of jobs are you looking for? Part of the resume is geared towards multi-media tasks for small/medium businesses. The other is not.

I'm a designer, so maybe I can help. Going with the assumption that you would be looking for multi-media work (or some form of art production), you need your resume to strongly highlight your experience. Careful with "some HTML." Sounds like you're barely familiar. Look to this article for some great tips: How To Create A Great Web Design CV and Résumé? | How-To | Smashing Magazine

Networking with other creatives in your area will help alot! It may seem counter-intuitive, as you are competing with them, but you'll find someone knows about an opening and suggests you. I've done it many times for others and they have returned the favor.

Keep in mind that tastes are subjective (you probably already know this) and your portfolio is key. I've had interviews where the employer was very insulting towards my work and others where the interviewer offered to purchase prints from me. An unfortunate reality with design work is that people "shop" you in an impersonal way. You might consider freelancing while looking for permanent work - just to fatten up your portfolio, put change in your pocket, and keep your skills fresh.

Good luck!

Old 07-26-2009, 03:30 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
I would delete the year of the high school graduation and then delete the 2 tele-marketing jobs.

There is too much corporate-speak in the intro, esp the last sentence. Make that whole section shorter and with normal words. You can probably just use one sentence, too. It seems like you should be targerting smaller companies, like the music store, and they don't want to hear all that corporate gobbley-****.

I like your list of specific accomplishments, but I would try to make it less wordy.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:00 PM

150 posts, read 467,632 times
Thanks! I'll take all of this into consideration. I've been trying to network with others in the area but this is sort of a rural region and I'm having trouble finding others in my line of work. I jumped around a lot, basically taking any job I could find until I managed to land the gig with the music company. They were actually a multi-million dollar e-commerce business. I got downsized out along with 14 other people when the economy took a turn and no one was buying $5000 instruments anymore. I was mostly a designer with that company, I wore many hats and ended up doing SQL, web coding, a lot of that stuff. I should probably just leave that stuff off since I'm not really looking for programming work and I'm not really all that qualified for it anyway...

Old 07-26-2009, 05:08 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,637 times
You made only one reference to your work resulting in increased sales. This is key. Employers want you to make money for them. What you can do is not as important as the end result - making money. Lead off with, and highlight, anything you did that resulted in increased sales. Give $ figures or percentages.
And good luck to you. These are tough times for everyone.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:30 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times
If this is what you send out, then a few more pointers,
A cover letter, an objective, and reorganizing your resume.
Its way too wordy and jumbled. I've rearranged a few other people's online for them and they have been pleased with the outcome. If you would like, email it to me and I'll see if I can professional it up from a 3rd person point of view. PM me for my email if you want me to give it a try. If not, good luck anyway.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:36 PM

914 posts, read 4,443,783 times
I would consider a functional resume, as opposed to a chronological one for you. You waste too much space on jobs that have little to do with what you are actually trying to accomplish now, so you might consider this other format. When I put my first functional resume together, I used this website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search