Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 02:31 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times

Advertisements

A few weeks back a hiring manager lied through her smiling face to me about getting an interview with me and the owner. I actually believed her. I don't need this job but I was excited because I need a change of pace, new environment.
I didn't confront her about her lies and deceptiveness but has anybody had the courage to do so??

Also I was doing some self-employed work on the side and had the courage to confront two wishy washy/weird people that were giving me a hard time....it actually was relieving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 03:20 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,077,860 times
I've told you my saga...I was promised a full time job (the woman told me this to my face several times when I point out asked her).

When it came time to ask (time was up on my status as a temp) she dithered and lied so I quit.

I have not seen the woman again but if I do run into her, I will probably tell her off. My husband tells me to get over it and 'move on' and 'so forth' but he is the same person I catch HELL from every day because "I am not looking" and 'always have excuses' for not having a job.

I feel like telling everyone to go to bite me right now....

Old 11-07-2008, 03:44 PM

Your husband is callous. He probably doesn't even know his own emotions, so he cannot relate to your anger. I can though and I know of a lot of people that do not like being tricked or lied to. Who does?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I've told you my saga...I was promised a full time job (the woman told me this to my face several times when I point out asked her).

When it came time to ask (time was up on my status as a temp) she dithered and lied so I quit.

I have not seen the woman again but if I do run into her, I will probably tell her off. My husband tells me to get over it and 'move on' and 'so forth' but he is the same person I catch HELL from every day because "I am not looking" and 'always have excuses' for not having a job.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:51 PM

Thanks artsyguy. I feel bad enough EVERY day without him rubbing in stupid comments like "there are plenty of jobs...you just have a problem with every one."

He says he's sorry but the first thing out of his mouth when angry is "get a job."

Sorry to go off topic.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:09 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,293,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post

Things like this happen and aren't necessarily intentional. Until a few weeks ago before the economy took a freefall, we had several openings to fill but when our numbers dipped those previously posted positions were placed on hold or closed all together. Confronting hiring managers and HR people (who usually are getting approvals to fill the job from hire-ups and who must respond to the unexpected like everyone else) will do nothing to endear you or get you closer to landing a job. It may even hurt you since the world seems awfully small when you're looking for work. Instead, be gracious about it and follow-up with a "keep me in mind for future opportunities e-mail". You may find that they actually will do this or refer you to other contacts. I have done this with a couple of temps we couldn't hire due to changes in strategy that required quick budget cuts. Both got written recommendations and landed other opportunities. In a market like this, attitude may make or break you.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:52 PM

like I care to be polite to some rude selfish idiots???? Get real. I have dignity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
Things like this happen and aren't necessarily intentional. Until a few weeks ago before the economy took a freefall, we had several openings to fill but when our numbers dipped those previously posted positions were placed on hold or closed all together. Confronting hiring managers and HR people (who usually are getting approvals to fill the job from hire-ups and who must respond to the unexpected like everyone else) will do nothing to endear you or get you closer to landing a job. It may even hurt you since the world seems awfully small when you're looking for work. Instead, be gracious about it and follow-up with a "keep me in mind for future opportunities e-mail". You may find that they actually will do this or refer you to other contacts. I have done this with a couple of temps we couldn't hire due to changes in strategy that required quick budget cuts. Both got written recommendations and landed other opportunities. In a market like this, attitude may make or break you.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:00 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,471,838 times
Oh, no, would never do that. In my field all the hiring people at all the firms know each other and talk to each other at their professional association monthly meetings. Telling off one of them would spread like wildfire through all the firms and I would be pegged as crazy. On the other hand you can use their networking to your advantage. These peeps can help you get in to other firms.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:09 PM

Gossip is very unprofessional and unethical. I don't trust people who spread gossip. Also it is awful to block people from work. People have to make a living and earnings.

The hiring managers need to get over themselves they aren't that special. Most of the time they are ignorant and inconsiderate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Oh, no, would never do that. In my field all the hiring people at all the firms know each other and talk to each other at their professional association monthly meetings. Telling off one of them would spread like wildfire through all the firms and I would be pegged as crazy. On the other hand you can use their networking to your advantage. These peeps can help you get in to other firms.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:32 PM

I probably would not (in reality) go off on anyone because that's not the type of person I am.

I wonder about the 'ethics' of business people/hiring folks...we lowly job seekers have to disclose our life stories, laugh at the hiring person's stupid jokes, nod like we think the company we are interviewing at is GREAT and our dream place when they probably make widgits or whatever....worry about our body language, be upfront about our past jobs, scrape and bow...

Meanwhile these people act like you are okay and actively SEEK you out by calling you when you answer an ad. After you interview, many never bother acknowledging you or your interview and DODGE you when you simply want to know "did I get the job?"

It's like you invited someone into your home (the business) then refused to ever speak to them again.

I understand about hiring freezes but DO NOT lie to people...karma is going to get liars. The woman who LIED to me about hiring me would have put me in a very seriously bad financial situation if my house sale would have gone through.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:33 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,253,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
like I care to be polite to some rude selfish idiots???? Get real. I have dignity.

Keep your dignity, rise above them, don't give in to the temptation to tell them off. Of course you're p'od, anyone would be, but don't give them the satisfaction of seeing your bad side. And remember what goes around comes around, especially in job searches.

Here's a famous quote, I don't know who, might help

"I will allow no man to demean my soul by causing me to hate him"

A good quote to remember, wish I knew the author!

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search