Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 08:21 AM

20 posts, read 36,026 times

Advertisements

I am a college senior and I have an on-site interview with a biotech company later this week. They are sending a car to get me, and I will have six 30-45 minute interviews with various members of the team.

I have worked in biotech before (internships) and there has always been a relaxed attitude. In my experience, jeans and a blouse was normal attire. Close-toed shoes are a must, and you don't want to wear anything you wouldn't want to get ruined in the lab. And even during interviews, a blouse and pants was normal.

I am a bit afraid of showing up over-dressed in a full suit for this interview. I have definitely been over-dressed for my last few interviews in this industry. I am pretty sure that I will be walking around the site a bit, and I need to be comfortable in the outfit for at least 4 hours.

Has anyone else interviewed/worked in this industry? I am pretty sure my experience has been indicative of industry culture as a whole, but if anyone has had any other experience...

Would a long-sleeved blouse and black dress pants be good enough?

Any advice regarding interviewing in this industry would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 08:49 AM

709 posts, read 766,545 times
I don't work in Biotech (though I have taken some biomed courses), but, if it was me, I wouldn't worry about over-dressing for the interview. My approach to interviews (I work in engineering) was to always wear a suit, regardless of the day-day dress code. At my last interview, the hiring manager was wearing a Hawaiian shirt (it was casual Friday), but I figured it was still a good idea to look as professional as possible. Of course, just pants and a blouse might fit the bill.

If you have to demonstrate something in the lab, that's a different story...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search