Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 04:09 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
A St. Jude medal... preferably blessed...
I substitute a rosary, in my pocket, and no I'm not kidding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 04:22 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Quote:
A St. Jude medal... preferably blessed...
I've worn a jade pendant for luck too.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:31 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I have to say this whole 'over analyzing' thing is way out of control.
Paralysis by analysis.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:54 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
I was doing some interviews once and noticed one of the applicants had put cheat notes on a pad that she would glance at while she was answering questions. She wasn't really obvious about it and she used the pad to write notes as well. I thought it was a pretty smart thing to do.
that's brilliant, actually. one of those 'why didn't i think of that?' kind of things.

i bring extra copies of the resume, and a leather portfolio that carries an 8.5x11 pad of paper, a pen, and has slots for business cards.

Mike

Old 11-09-2009, 05:21 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
You are not going to get or lose a job based upon whether or not you bring a purse. Nobody cares.

Do look professional.
Do bring the things you need in order to appear prepared. Copies of resume, reference contacts, pen paper.
Do brush your teeth, use deodorant.
Do turn off your cell phone.

Don't show up in your gym clothes.
Don't bring your child/friend/mother along.
Don't eat garlic for breakfast.
Don't appear hurried, or that you have someplace else to be.

Make your appearance, demeanor, and attitude about the interview. Any distractions that show your personal life are bad. If you cannot keep your personal life under wraps for an hour or two for an interview, you cannot keep it out of your job.

If it is raining, bring an umbrella. If it is cold, wear gloves. If it is hot, take a cab, and grab some cold water to cool down before your scheduled interview. These things don't make you look like a flake, they make you look like somebody who knows how to adapt to a situation.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:42 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,203 times
I carry a leather portfolio, pen, paper, copies of resume and references and a small, neutral colored bag.

I usually also have questions prepared and written down with spaces for answers and I often times have a copy of the job description and company profile (from online).

Old 11-09-2009, 03:46 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
Fishbrains sort of beat me to it, but my first response was to tell you what NOT to bring to an interview:

1. Cell phone (turning off the ringer isn't enough, espeially if you are going to keep looking at it during the interview, to see if you've received calls or texts that are evidently more interesting than my questions.)

2. Child (you'd be surprised at how many people think this is completely appropriate! They even bring toys to entertain the kids.)

3. A coffee or other drink (drink your drink before coming, or treat yourself to Starbucks after the interview. But don't bring your drippy sweaty drink into my office and set it on my furniture.)

Old 11-09-2009, 05:22 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
A small purse is fine. A large hobo bag that's big enough to pack for the weekend in isn't.

And as far as coffee--nothing but water after you brush your teeth before the interview. Coffee might taste good, but coffee breath stinks.

And by all means if you are in an urban area and arrive by mass transit and it's cold out, wear an overcoat. Nothing says "I'm a Moron" better than arriving for an interview shivering and with blue lips because you didn't wear a coat and it's snowing out.

Relax and SMILE!!

Old 11-09-2009, 07:55 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
I stopped taking my resumes to interviews. No one has ever asked for a copy. They already have it or they wouldn't be interviewing me. I have never had to take notes in an interview, so no pad of paper. I don't take anything but my purse. (I use recruiters though. Maybe it's different without the middle man.)

If I am intentionally going for under-employment for some reason, I don't even offer a resume. Having a resume would scream expensive and over-qualified.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:36 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
I think I've actually given out more resumes during interviews now than I did before job searching went electronic. Those online resume wizards do a horrendous number on resume formats; some I've seen are practically unreadable. And I've come across a few interviewers who forgot to print my resume, they only looked at it on a computer screen.

I do always take water with me. Sometimes the interviewer will offer water but sometimes they forget. I don't want to become parched in my interview. But I have dry mouth issues so maybe it is less of a problem for others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search