Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 01:59 PM

233 posts, read 744,172 times

Advertisements

I was recently asked this in an interview. I was kinda shocked at first that I was asked this question. Nonetheless, I responded back with, "I have friends that are college educated and friends that are not."

Is it really any of their business to know what percentage of my friends are college educated? Or is this one of those questions they throw at you to determine how quick on your feet you are. Has anyone been asked this question before? If so, how did you respond?

The interview was with a fortune500 company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 02:30 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,120,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyKid View Post
I was recently asked this in an interview. I was kinda shocked at first that I was asked this question. Nonetheless, I responded back with, "I have friends that are college educated and friends that are not."

Is it really any of their business to know what percentage of my friends are college educated? Or is this one of those questions they throw at you to determine how quick on your feet you are. Has anyone been asked this question before? If so, how did you respond?

The interview was with a fortune500 company.

No one has ever asked me this, but I suspect you are correct in your suspicions. I would have answered the same way, and done so with a smile of course.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:56 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,485,469 times
Quote:
"Are most of your friends college educated"
I would be shocked too. As if it is their business! They asked about college-educated friends which I will assume does not necessarily mean college graduate.

I would answer "oh yes, MOST of them are" with a big smile. They would never meet my friends anyway and would never know the truth. I really can't stand when employers are nosy about what you do or who you know OUTSIDE OF WORK!

What's next? "Are most of your friends employed/speak perfect English/own their own home/US citizens/etc....?"

If It's not relevant to the job, they should not be asking the question.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:22 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
I'd be so tempted to go with a deadpan...
"Friends? What friends?

Just to watch the reaction of the interviewer.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:31 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
I agree that it's a question they toss out to see how quick on your feet you are. Kind of like asking "Do you like chocolate cake?" Totally random, they just want to see your reaction. I think the non-committal and nuetral answer that the OP gave was perfect.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:30 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
ha ha interview questions are supposed to be job related. The idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I agree that it's a question they toss out to see how quick on your feet you are. Kind of like asking "Do you like chocolate cake?" Totally random, they just want to see your reaction. I think the non-committal and nuetral answer that the OP gave was perfect.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:55 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
ha ha interview questions are supposed to be job related. The idiots.
Then you have missed the point of the question.

Any job will throw you curveballs now and again. An exceptional employee rises to the occasion, and deals with those situations.

A poor employee sits there, slack jawed, complains that the oddball situation was not in the job description, and does nothing about it.

The odd interview question is intended to check your reaction to unusual situations. If you respond with "That is none of your business. Questions in this interview are supposed to be strictly job related" it tells me that you will be questioning everything that happens throughout the day, and your first reaction to such things is hostility. You don't get hired.

However, if you have any sort of other reasonable answer, you pass the question. I would not care how many of your friends have college education. I would give credit to the guy who said "What friends?" for quick whit.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:19 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,951,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
"Friends? What friends?

Classic!

Old 01-13-2010, 07:57 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Curve ball questions are stupid. I'm at an interview and you want to know if I can do the job. I want to know if I want to work for you.

Same for abuse interviews. Tactics like that make me think your organization sucks and no, it's not 'hardcore' or 'necessary.'

Interviewers need to stop being poseurs and robots and learn to actually read people.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:15 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
"Friends? What friends?

I LOVE this! Deadpan, with a slight snarl, one side of the lip curled up. I'm doing it right now. Of course, one probably wouldn't get the job but boy, would it be funny.

I have never had a potential employer ask me anything like this. It seems really inappropriate. On one hand it seems like they're trying to see how quick you respond to off-color questions but then again, it seems rather intrusive-and a sneaky way of trying to find out 'what type of company you keep' outside of the clock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search