Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 05:23 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times

Advertisements

Because of demographics and birthrates, the percentage of Americans identified as Jews has been diminishing since 1950.

Here is my question: should there be a greater effort to bring more non-Jews into Judaism? I'm not talking about coercing people or obnoxious proselytizing, of course. I am aware of the tradition of discouraging all but the most determined outsiders being accepted into the fold ... but is it time to reevaluate the old ideas about reaching out to new converts?

What are your ideas and opinions, please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 05:34 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,734,496 times
I thought about this today as I talked to a man whose father was Jewish and mother was some sort of gentile. I wanted to encourage him to get back to his Jewish roots, but I did not.

I don't know the answer, though. It's a mixed bag. You have to be dedicated to Judaism and have to want to live the lifestyle, which can be difficult. The heart knows what's true, though, and if people are compelled, they will find a way.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:14 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,866,983 times
We've been talking about this in my community lately. We've talked to several rabbis, and they have all commented about increasing efforts to bring in the non-Jewish spouses in interfaith marriages and other non-Jewish family members, and to make conversion a more "user friendly" process.

One made the comment that we grow more through conversion today than we do through births. I don't know if there is data to back it up, but it is something to think about. I'm a convert, and the process can be very daunting; I don't think it should be changed, but it does need to be a community effort. Conversion isn't for everyone, and there are always going to be people who prefer to remain outside of the tribe, but there are also many who are interested in learning, if not outright conversion in the beginning, but don't know how to take that first step.

ETA: Just to be clear, I'm not talking about proselytizing or looking for converts. The fact that Judaism doesn't preach or try to convince others of the "truth" is a good thing.

Last edited by JB from NC; 04-07-2014 at 06:28 PM..

Old 04-07-2014, 06:42 PM

43 posts, read 161,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Because of demographics and birthrates, the percentage of Americans identified as Jews has been diminishing since 1950.

Here is my question: should there be a greater effort to bring more non-Jews into Judaism? I'm not talking about coercing people or obnoxious proselytizing, of course. I am aware of the tradition of discouraging all but the most determined outsiders being accepted into the fold ... but is it time to reevaluate the old ideas about reaching out to new converts?

tons of people want to convert, where are you, who is the rabbi?

we are in france, i got a family of 6, another family from india of 5, everyone wants to send their kids to a school under 10k, where you advise we go in the EU?

Old 04-07-2014, 08:07 PM

938 posts, read 1,516,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

While there is a lot you can read about on the Internet on conversions to Judaism, mainly about the 3 basic requirements, it doesn't take into account the intra-Jewish warfare over conversion and the "Who is a Jew" question. In most countries where there is a Jewish community, with the exception of the U.S. and to a lesser extent, Canada and the UK, the community's religious leaders are Orthodox rabbis. Orthodox Judaism has become much stricter in its attitude toward converts over the past 150 years. In particular, over the past 30 years, a disturbing new practice has evolved among mainstream Ashkenazi Orthodox rabbis. Effectively, a convert is only seen as Jewish if his or her 3 converting rabbis are at least as pious and observant than the questioning rabbi. This "relativity of Jewish status", where whether a person is Jewish depends on who is asking, is threatening to tear Jews apart, especially in communities where there is a lot of interaction and intermarriage between Jews and non-Jews, such as in the U.S.

The only groups of rabbis who are open to inviting non-Jews to convert and take on the 613 commandments of Judaism are Reform and Conservative rabbis. The more popular conversion to non-Orthodox Judaism becomes, the more the Jewish community will be divided between people who are viewed as universally Jewish by all religious communities, i.e. those with an unbroken genetic maternal link, and those only viewed as Jewish within the Reform, Conservative, and secular Jewish communities.

I think that until the "conversion crisis" in Israel and abroad can be resolved, or Reform and Conservative rabbis stop caring what the State of Israel thinks of them, Jewish communities should not be encouraging more conversions!

It only results in heartbreak when people who were raised Jewish in the U.S. move to, or try to marry a Jew from, say, South Africa, Argentina, France, or Israel, and discover that their conversions are seen as worthless as a trillion dollar bill. Fortunately, it is not a problem if the Jew by birth is secular and his or her family is completely secular and thus doesn't give a rat's a__ about what the religious community thinks. But if the family is even slightly religious and wants a rabbi at the wedding, it will be a problem.

My fiancee had a Reform conversion and whenever we visit Orthodox communities, I tell her that she should not disclose the fact that she converted, because although her conversion was completely valid under Jewish law, recent innovations that Orthodox Jews have created (that are against the Torah) will mean that they would view her as non-Jewish if they knew of the conversion.

Last edited by usuario; 04-07-2014 at 08:34 PM..

Old 04-07-2014, 08:25 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,897,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
whenever we visit Orthodox communities
Why would you ever ask your wife to visit a community that has a negative view of her?

Old 04-07-2014, 08:33 PM

Why would they have a negative view of her if we don't tell them she converted?

We visit modern Orthodox synagogues because we like meeting people our age (late twenties and thirties) who observe Judaism.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:08 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,665,531 times
So what happens when they eventually do learn that your wife converted? Do they still treat her (and/or you) the same?

Old 04-07-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
So what happens when they eventually do learn that your wife converted? Do they still treat her (and/or you) the same?
I haven't let that happen yet

I used to go to a Chabad regularly where I met Orthodox Jews and other baalei teshuva (newly Orthodox) but stopped going after I started dating my fiancee and she didn't like Chabad.

MOD CUT: DELETED

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 04-08-2014 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: Reference to a deleted post

Old 04-08-2014, 02:56 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
We've been talking about this in my community lately. We've talked to several rabbis, and they have all commented about increasing efforts to bring in the non-Jewish spouses in interfaith marriages and other non-Jewish family members, and to make conversion a more "user friendly" process.

One made the comment that we grow more through conversion today than we do through births. I don't know if there is data to back it up, but it is something to think about. I'm a convert, and the process can be very daunting; I don't think it should be changed, but it does need to be a community effort. Conv ersion isn't for everyone, and there are always going to be people who prefer to remain outside of the tribe, but there are also many who are interested in learning, if not outright conversion in the beginning, but don't know how to take that first step.

ETA: Just to be clear, I'm not talking about proselytizing or looking for converts. The fact that Judaism doesn't preach or try to convince others of the "truth" is a good thing.
What about just telling others the Truth?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism